Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Posted October 25, 2015
I've been enrolled in MTSMCA for the past two years. It has been an amazing experience thus far. I have met teachers who truly excel in their trade and have the best personalities! The counseling department is superb, I am an easily stressed out student, so whenever I have ANY concerns no matter the time of day, my counselors have been able to provide a supportive environment in a timely fashion. I have accomplished so much with this school. Although I would say the marketing is very misleading, in that they say there is A LOT of flexibility, the truth is there is more flexibility than the average high school, but not to the extent that they advertise. Nonetheless, the flexibility is still great because I have been able to be a part of many organizations and extra curricular activities while taking several AP classes. The rigor of the school is extremely challenging, as a previous reviewer said, if you get behind in a few days-it is EXTREMELY hard to catch up, but once again it's important to note the support system in this school is unlike anything I've experienced, so catching up is a plausible task as long as you (as a student) put as much or more work as the teacher. I've debated many times about switching to a regular brick and mortar school, but what has always prevented me from transferring is that I would not be able to be in such an enriching and supportive school system elsewhere. I've gone to at least 4 different schools since 7th grade, but I have ZERO regrets about being here and I am so thankful that I am here. I highly encourage you, if you are a motivated student or a student willing to take up challenges to check out this school. Although this school is not right for every person, it is definitely a school to consider!

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 04, 2015
Some teachers are more effective than others, because everyone in the world is just different, but most of the teachers really listen and really meet the kids where they are at, and do their best to find a way to help- and they NEVER give up on a student.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 04, 2015
Unlike traditional schools, there are so many opportunities to mend errors, make up points or redo assignments to get the full benefit of the lesson. It's not a matter of- "the grade is in, it's done". It teaches students they can get back up and try again.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 04, 2015
They use all of the same tools as traditional schools and more! The students are all treated equally, and frankly, if they ever aren't, it's not in front of their nose. I feel my son is treated the same as his peers, he gets all of the attention and help he needs.

Posted June 04, 2015
My son did not fit the mold for public schools. We switched to Connections and his teachers are so supportive and helpful! My son is doing so much better than I could have dreamed in a traditional public school setting. Students can work at their own pace and have many options for extra-curricular activities! I would recommend this school to anyone! As a matter of fact, I would recommend it to most everyone!

Posted September 25, 2014
I left brick and mortar school for Connections and never looked back. I am a pretty average paced student and I feel that the time spent during the day is perfect. As a student who spends an average amount of time, I only spend about 3-5 hours per day doing lessons. We have maybe 1 big project per unit, per class (plus there are resources listed for the entire unit and you are expected to be working on it) and the teachers put lots of helpful resources up. There is no bullying as far as I've seen, and the teachers seem to care a lot more! If there are any big problems, I've found the staff is MORE than willing to help and make sure you succeed. This is just my experience, not trying to discredit anyone else's experience. I'm just saying as your average Connections student, this is my experience.

MTS Minnesota Connections Academy 1

Posted September 22, 2014
I attended Connections Academy from 10th through 12th grade. I was a serious and dedicated student, I was involved in student government, and I kept in close contact with my teachers and counsellors year to year. Why the rating? The pros were outweighed in my experience by the flaws in the system. The product that's being pitched is poorer than the advertising presents. Pros: Many excellent teachers who sincerely care; a bit of schedule flexibility; provides an option for those with only truly awful alternatives. Major Cons 1. The pacing is obscene. In an effort to be challenging, it's crossed over to insane. The portfolio projects are excessive in number and all highly involved. The number of concepts crammed into a semester is also extreme. If you fall behind due to the rigor, it's a nightmare to rectify because of the avalanche of concepts. 2. Errors. Errors in the tests and quizzes that need correcting, errors in the instructions for projects, etc. 3. Social/mental health will suffer. No amount of interaction over tech at a distance begins to address the basic isolation online school brings. I knew kids unhappy with their old public ed. who returned rather than endure it.

MTS Minnesota Connections Academy 1

Posted November 12, 2013
I HATE this school. We came to Connections because of my child being bullied. My daughter is in middle school. Connections is not the answer. If you like your child online 8 - 9 hours a day doing school work, 25+ BIG projects a semester (more than I had in grad school!), significant computer compatability problems, and online bullying, this might be the right school. We are trying to find something else. VERY disappointed!

Posted August 27, 2013
my childrens school has been connections academy for the past 5 years. They have worked hard with a very challenging corriculum and I believe it has helped them gain their knowledge to be successful mature citizens in a very challenging world we live in. They have had success and reached goals with out the distractions of peer pressure to be involved in inappropriate things. School is a place to gain experience in knowledge and to receave an education. Connections academy has fullfilled that purpose. Thank you.

Posted August 05, 2013
My son started Connections Academy January of 2013. He was in 1st grade, now going into 2nd. I was skeptical at first wondering how this was going to work with my schedule and if my son would learn at home and learn from me and the teachers. It did take a month or two to get the swing of things. I have found that Connections Academy is a great school!! They have the best teachers. He enjoys talking to his teachers on the phone and really enjoys the live lessons. He has improved so much and has grown a lot since taking him out of the brick and mortar school. Being a learning coach so is rewarding , I wouldn't change a thing!! Being able to be part of my sons schooling and learning more about him and seeing what he struggles with and seeing what he loves to do is so much fun!! I am so happy that we made the switch, and we wont be going back to a brick and mortar school..

1336 Energy Park Drive, St. Paul, MN  55108
Last modified MTS Minnesota Connections Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.