School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

In the spirit of LJA s motto Asking Questions, Making Choices please come check out the school and talk to lots of children and families before making a good educational choice for your child. We would love for you to tour the school and see the LJA vision in practice; set up a shadow experience for your child so she can experience LJA. As a parent you can become a reading buddy or tutor, chaperone a field trip, or plan and implement LJA s Annual Farmers Market; just a few ways to be involved in the LJA community and participate in your child s education. Check out LJA s classroom pages at www.laurajeffreyacademy.org and see what LJA scholars are learning.
August 20, 2013

Bad
Good

My child is a 5th grader at this outstanding girl-focused school. She is having her best school year so far. The staff and administration are dedicated and responsive. In our experience, problems are dealt with quickly and fairly. Communication is good. Our daughter always enjoyed certain aspects of school, but since starting at LJA she seems much happier and more engaged, both socially and academically. Class sizes are small and the staff to student ratio is amazing! The building is old and extra-curricular activities are more limited because of the size of the school. My hope is that those issues will be resolved as the school grows! If you are considering LJA, have your child try a few shadowing days. As an experienced teacher of middle schoolers, I looked carefully at all the options available and chose LJA. Our family is satisfied with most aspects, and we see that the school continually strives to improve. They work hard at keeping families involved. The orientation process was superb, and we have found the "parenting a tween" sessions to be very helpful.

I had heard many positive things about this new all girl charter school - Laura Jeffrey Academy. It sounded like it would be the perfect fit for my daughter, which is true. Laura Jeffrey Academy is a GREAT school choice for Tiki - 6th grader. She has always had excellent Reading skills, but I wanted her to form a love for Science and Math. With it's STEM-focus, LJA has created a Scientific thinker and future Mathematician! She LOVES the school, staff and other scholars at LJA. I love the fact that the girls are being taught how to think and that their "voice" matters. I am also impressed with the scholars having daily Art and Music classes. Again, Laura Jeffrey Academy is a GREAT school and we are looking forward to Tiki's next 2 years there.

We are a new family to Laura Jeffrey Academy and have been appreciative of all that the school has done to help us transition in. They had an extensive orientation process for adults and students, quick responses whenever we have had any concerns, and a frank style of communication that has been so refreshing. Because this is a new school for our daughter, I have been very watchful and impressed by the dedication of administration, teachers, and staff. They are so caring of the girls, clearly striving to foster "girl power." I have already begun to do a bit of volunteering at the school and, through my interactions with the teachers, witness firsthand their devotion to their work and the positive attitude that they bring to it. I notice that they try to show up for every special school event, too, and are also dedicated to building a strong school community. I do not think that this school is perfect at all (no school is), but I see that this school steadily strives to improve (and welcomes honest, open feedback to do so). It's culture is to promote positive momentum forward.

My daughter attended Laura Jeffery Academy for 4 years. She is currently in her first year of high school.She and I are both so pleased with how well prepared she is for high school. At conferences this quarter, several of her current teachers remarked about her ability to ask good questions and have a sense of herself as a scholar. She learned this at Laura Jeffery Academy. Like any school , there were a couple of issues over the years, and when I spoke with staff about them, I found them to be very responsive. I am grateful to the teachers and administration for their academic approach and responsiveness. .

Laura Jeffrey Academy was a great school for my daughters. They moved on to other schools and have been placed in classes a grade ahead of where they are and in AP high school classes. But more importantly they had an opportunity to experience a diverse environment that stressed critical literacy. The time they spent at LJA with the students and staff taught them to ask "why" and "why not". They have challenged me each other and more importantly me in the way I think. When they ask "why" I have to pause and say "i'm not sure, that's a really good question". And as if that wasn't enough, they will tell me what they think and why. They have learned to take a second look at every question and pursue the truth.

The confidence my daughter gained as a person and student has taken her from this small caring school to a straight A student, in advanced classes, in a large inner city school. The amazing teachers and small classroom settings helped her to develop skills in critical thinking, active reading and writing skills, team work and cooperation as well building confidence as a young women. She learned compassion and understanding of differences in a real world setting. The school offered so many extra learning opportunities outside of the school walls. The intersessions and connections with local organizations and colleges were like nothing being offered in out other public schools. These girls learn to have a voice in the community and take an interest in the world around them. my daughter left the Laura Jeffery a well rounded, confident, happy, hungry to learn young women. Her only complaint about moving to High School was that the rout style of learning was so boring compared to the Laura Jeffery.

Laura Jeffrey Academy helped create a thoughtful, inspired, self confident student in my daughter in the years that she spent with the very dedicated staff at LJA. When my daughter moved from this very small caring environment to a large inner city Public High School she expressed concerns that she wasn't prepared for the "real world" of Public schools or the academic rigor. No worries... she has excelled in the Public Schools environment and often laments that she is not challenged as she was at LJA. Her teachers often comment about her thoughtful world view and the critical thinking that she brings to classroom discussion.

Laura Jeffrey Academy is a school full of very dedicated teachers and the majority of the students are equally committed to learning. The best thing about the school is certainly the teachers - the environment makes students and teachers want to do well. My daughter went to LJA for 4 years and is now a confident high-schooler thanks in good part to her teachers at LJA. The all-girl environment was great for my daughter. The small classes and group-based learning worked for her. She still meets up with her group of friends from LJA even though they are in high schools across the metro area. Improvements: as with any public school there is a small number of students who just do not want to be in school - such students, unfortunately, have a disproportionate influence on everybody's experience. Working with the "trouble" students is hard and, on top of that, there is no reward for turning them around.

My daughter is so happy at LJA, and as a parent I am very happy with LJA. The staff are amazing, they take the time to really get to know each girl and to help them achieve their fullest potential. The leadership and guidance that is offered is top notch quality. I cannot say enough good things. Best parenting choice I ever made.

My daughter has been at LJA for 3 yrs. & it has been a great experience. I will preface this review by saying that LJA may not be the right fit for every girl, however I have seen an enormous amount of growth in my daughter. She is confident & willing to stand up for what she believes in - she is not afraid to speak her mind. She has learned to analyze the information she receives - in school & out of school. Before LJA she wasn't confident about tackling homework she wasn't familiar with - she often felt she couldn't do it. Now she jumps right in & does it - it doesn't scare her anymore, because she really believes she is capable of doing whatever she sets her mind to. I find the level of care, concern & enthusiasm to be exceptional - in both the teachers and administration. I cannot claim that this school is perfect - there have definitely been bumps along the way. But I realize that my daughter is learning so much more than math, science, English & art. She is learning life skills that will help her succeed in the next stage of her journey- she is dealing with the diversity of personalities & backgrounds that she will be faced with outside of school. She is strong!

Last modified Laura Jeffrey Academy Charter is a Charter school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.