School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Natural Science Academy follows innovative, research-based best practices with regards to homework for elementary-age children. We do not assign homework for the sake of just having homework. Research shows that sending home busy work for elementary children does nothing to further their academic progress but does, in fact foster a negative attitude towards school. Our teachers are highly skilled education professionals and know that the "10 minutes per grade-level" rule is outdated. Our students work very hard during the day and we believe they deserve to be able to come home after a long day of learning and be with their families, play outside and enjoy the free time they have earned. With that being said, from time to time NSA students will bring home math games to share with their parents, that allow them to practice skills, guided reading books to read at home, or unfinished assignments and project work that may extend beyond the school day. This is the developmentally appropriate approach to "homework" for elementary-age students.
May 14, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted May 14, 2016
- a school leader

Natural Science Academy 3

Posted January 02, 2016
I am writing this review as I am looking into other schools for next year, and I feel so torn. I love the concept of this school and my child had a wonderful experience in K and 1. There were great teachers and they were outside so much, even in the cold! I like how a lot of the learning is tied together instead of separated by subject. But this year, my child is having big problems in the 2/3 classroom. The teacher seems to have no control and spends so much time trying to enforce so many rules. My child gets frustrated not even so much with the kids who are always in trouble, but with the teacher. It sounds like the rules are not consistent and she just gets frustrated with a handful of boys and constantly sends them out into the hallway. I don't even know how I would feel if I was the parent of one of those boys! So all the kids education is constantly interrupted by all this ruckus. These are 8 and 9 year olds - I feel like she needs to step up and figure out this problem instead of blaming it on the "bad kids". I especially say that because I have heard from other parents that she has "bad kids" every year. Why is she the only one? So now I am torn about whether to put my child through this classroom again next year, or go someplace else. I want to skip ahead to 4/5, because that teacher and classroom look great! I wish this was a bigger school and we could do another classroom. 5 stars for K/1 and from what I've seen and heard, 5 starts for 4/5. Not so much for 2/3.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted October 30, 2015
There is none. An appropriate amount of 10 minutes per grade level (therefore a 2nd grader gets 20 minutes ) would help prepare for middle and high schools.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted October 30, 2015
Simply put, no. Without a warm and nurturing environment there is no comfort to persevere when mistakes happen or to keep at it when students call each other dumba**.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 12, 2015
I notice teacher were very efficient, and it was very easy to see the results every week keep us updated as a parents.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted June 12, 2015
It was great, because kids spent all day in school and then coming back home with ton of homework in my personal opinion is not fair, kids need to be kids life is not just about work work work it is about enjoying everything we do with love. And kids feel like do their home work they will do it happily. After all homework was very fair.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 12, 2015
Yes I see the teachers giving their best and the staff in the school making student be persistence and accomplishing their goals.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 12, 2015
Absolutely I can see how they listen their student opinions and respect each of their backgrounds by guidance trough a success!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 12, 2015
Yes, by providing the tools and values of their lives and the what to expect of others in the world they live.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 12, 2015
I seen how the students interact, teachers and the staff, they all know their name and each other kindergarten students know the kids from 5th grade and so on! this is great! the fact that they help each other and protect each other make the feeling of a big family.

920 Holley Ave Ste. #3 St. Paul Park MN 55071, Woodbury, MN  55125
Last modified Natural Science Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.