School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Natural Science Academy follows innovative, research-based best practices with regards to homework for elementary-age children. We do not assign homework for the sake of just having homework. Research shows that sending home busy work for elementary children does nothing to further their academic progress but does, in fact foster a negative attitude towards school. Our teachers are highly skilled education professionals and know that the "10 minutes per grade-level" rule is outdated. Our students work very hard during the day and we believe they deserve to be able to come home after a long day of learning and be with their families, play outside and enjoy the free time they have earned. With that being said, from time to time NSA students will bring home math games to share with their parents, that allow them to practice skills, guided reading books to read at home, or unfinished assignments and project work that may extend beyond the school day. This is the developmentally appropriate approach to "homework" for elementary-age students.
May 14, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

I am writing this review as I am looking into other schools for next year, and I feel so torn. I love the concept of this school and my child had a wonderful experience in K and 1. There were great teachers and they were outside so much, even in the cold! I like how a lot of the learning is tied together instead of separated by subject. But this year, my child is having big problems in the 2/3 classroom. The teacher seems to have no control and spends so much time trying to enforce so many rules. My child gets frustrated not even so much with the kids who are always in trouble, but with the teacher. It sounds like the rules are not consistent and she just gets frustrated with a handful of boys and constantly sends them out into the hallway. I don't even know how I would feel if I was the parent of one of those boys! So all the kids education is constantly interrupted by all this ruckus. These are 8 and 9 year olds - I feel like she needs to step up and figure out this problem instead of blaming it on the "bad kids". I especially say that because I have heard from other parents that she has "bad kids" every year. Why is she the only one? So now I am torn about whether to put my child through this classroom again next year, or go someplace else. I want to skip ahead to 4/5, because that teacher and classroom look great! I wish this was a bigger school and we could do another classroom. 5 stars for K/1 and from what I've seen and heard, 5 starts for 4/5. Not so much for 2/3.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There is none. An appropriate amount of 10 minutes per grade level (therefore a 2nd grader gets 20 minutes ) would help prepare for middle and high schools.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I notice teacher were very efficient, and it was very easy to see the results every week keep us updated as a parents.

Amount of homework: no rating

It was great, because kids spent all day in school and then coming back home with ton of homework in my personal opinion is not fair, kids need to be kids life is not just about work work work it is about enjoying everything we do with love. And kids feel like do their home work they will do it happily. After all homework was very fair.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I seen how the students interact, teachers and the staff, they all know their name and each other kindergarten students know the kids from 5th grade and so on! this is great! the fact that they help each other and protect each other make the feeling of a big family.

I am very happy and please that we were able to find this school for my daughter, the fact of the combination of nature with learning make this school a very special way of be ahead of other schools out there, the technology is always advancing but we kind of forget the best of our world, NATURE! and this is giving a good emphasize and advantage to kids trough learning about their world, Also i am very happy of the fact that kids get the opportunity to explore their world with their constant field trips plus the have an amazing staff, friendly and family environment, we are bless that our kid have the opportunity to be in this school.

I love this school a lot because I like learning through outdoor play. The teachers are great and give a lot of attention to every student.

My daughter is enrolled in this school. Not only does it give her the individualized learning environment that kids need for their personal talents and short comings but it is teaching her how to give back and respect our planet and home! This school is bringing enrichment to my child's life that was lacking at traditional public schools.

My grand-daughter was getting bored in her previous 4th grade class, but she loves school and loves to learn. Her teacher was giving her extra work to do to help, but the decision to move her to Michael Frome was the perfect decision. My grand-daughter feels more challenged and they do lots of hands on things, and she absolutely loves this school.

Last modified Natural Science Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.