Bay High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1 student

Posted March 14, 2014

This is an amazing school. I attended all four years of high school here and loved it. Through all of my behavior problems they NEVER gave up hope and kept fighting. I asked for drop out papers several times and they knew I was better than that so I was refused to get them. They always believed in me and now I am in my second year in college doing amazing! Thank you bay high for being such an amazing school and changing so many young lives for the better!

Posted August 27, 2013

I really like this school. I now have my 3rd child there. They are very good about staying in touch. Their principal is very nice and very involved.

Posted August 22, 2013

My school is Bay High School and I believe that this is one of the most impressive schools in America today. The principle is an awesome, very hands on and always ready to help a parent/child with anything that they need. The teachers are excellent, very in tune with the children and always there ready, willing and able. I do believe that my son has blossomed from attending this school. It's a very different school, but in a fantastic way. I have never seen a school come together before in such a fashion that all involved work together for one common goal, to make sure our children grow up happy, healthy and ready to take on the world in any way. I commend every one at Bay High, staff, students, teachers and parents alike for coming together. I wish all schools were like Bay High School, then we, as parents, could be assured that our children and their tomorrow's will be all that it should be, awesome.

Posted August 13, 2013

Bay High School has a friendly and equal opportunity environment for all students. Bay has a high performing athletic department in all areas, especially teams like Dance and Basketball. Bay High has excellent academic ratings and will provide a safe environment for the students. I have been a student there for three years, and I enjoy this school very much. Compared to those around it, I'd still choose Bay High.

Posted July 29, 2009

the school has gone done hill in the past year. it cares more about its image then the students.

Posted June 12, 2009

This school has become so amazing. I couldn't imagine going to another school. Our new principal has done so much to get Bay High a new reputation. The staff is doing everything they can to get us ready for the ACT and college. Bay High has come a long way. I'm proud to be part of this school!!

Posted April 21, 2009

Bay High School is a NEW SCHOOL! The new administration is phenomenal! Bay High is headed straight for level 5 status! If you are looking at this other reviews, teachers should be worried about cell phones in class, its a distraction, how is your child going to learn effectively while texting in class.. I do it, but still its not allowed and f i was caught I would take 100% responsibility. There is a completely new dress code this year, and it is much less strict. Dr. Andy Parker is the new principal, and expects all students to have A's or B's, and if not parents are contacted. This is a wonderful school, and a wonderful, school district, with almost every administrator, having a Phd. in administration. I am proud to be a Bay High Tiger!

Posted September 4, 2008

This school is remarkable with great leadership. The new principal is phenomenal and will bring BHS to new heights. The teachers are incredibly dedicated and care about teaching kids academics and real life issues. The kids are wonderful. They are pleasant, respectful and a joy to be around. This is an awesome school to be a part of.

Posted August 2, 2008

This school needs help, the office administrators are not friendly by any means, they judge you ( the parents) before they even speak to you. The principle says one thing and does another, the academics are dumbed down so that our kids are two years behind other state. There is no real concern.

Posted February 23, 2008

My daughter attended this school until Hurrican Katrina hit in Aug 2005. We both felt very positive about the school and the teachers there. As a parent I did feel I could talk with the administrators at the school and did so to a positive resolution of any problems or questions that might arise. My daughter was also able to attend the Hancock Vocational center durring one class segment. Also she was involved the the very well developed Band program at the school. Overall a very good school in my opinion.

Posted March 16, 2007

I have three children that go to Bay High. From what I have learned from them is that teachers are more worried about who has their cell phone out or who does not have a belt on then what they should teach in the class room. This whole uniform thing I think also has a big effect on what the kids do.

Posted July 16, 2005

I currently have two children attending this school and from what I have seen it appears to be a good school, but the principle should be more concerned with other issues than whether or not you'r shirt is untucked! There are some drug problems that need to be addresses! Some students don't even feel safe going to the restroom! For the most part the teaching staff is wonderful.

Posted January 9, 2005

don't enjoy my child being there. he's not safe.

Posted November 6, 2004

This is best Pubic school on Mississippi coast.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 17, 2004

If the bay st. Louis school board were smart they would just leave the subject of school uniforms alone. They should have put other enforcements in to our school besides school uniforms. The students expression of what they feel like is at stake. Most parents would not care but, we are young adults and should be able to make the decision of what we wear. The bay st. Louis school board says, 'the uniforms are in place for many reasons such as to get you ready for the job force.' Well, let's think for a second, what is the point of going four years in high school wearing the uniforms;then for some, going off to college for four years and not wearing them. That canceled out their purpose! Can't they just think for a second? That is what our tax dollars are paying them for right?

Posted October 14, 2004

My child currently attends this school and I am disappointed over the disappearance of the arts activities, physical education and parental involvement. I would like to see more parents get involved with what is happening within the school systems. Teachers and couselors cannot do it alone, it is not just their job, those are our children they' re teaching. We need more community involvement with the improvement of race relations, pre-college testing and preparation for college. The ACT, SAT and other test dates should be posted throughout the school so that students are aware of test dates, times and places. We are a community of parents that can make a difference if we want to.

Posted May 28, 2004

As the parent of a recent grad, I commend the current principle for her ideas to turn this school around. I have seen some improvements. However, I believe we have far to go. Areas needing improvement are , race relations...there are big problems lying beneath the surface here. A formal board that includes students, staff and parents is a suggestion. And most importantly, a better program for preparing incoming freshmen for academic structure for preparing for university..not just the local jr. college. Most Seniors were not aware that they should have started taking the A.C.T. long before Senior year. Explain to students the gravity of the ACT score..Educate kids on how to get to college. Our economy depends on their future.

Posted May 28, 2003

I am a former student and my daughter is a student. I am very pleased with the way problems as well as accomplishments are handled here. It has grown a lot since I went there and has added numerous activities and courses for the childern to learn from. As with all schools you (as a parent) are going to think your child is right no matter what but here they (the staff) seem to have a well balanced attitude (toward fairness). The staff will get to the bottom of an issue before a decision is made and when one is made it is made fairly.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

124 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 71%N/A71%

Fax number
  • (228) 466-0883

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now