Bay Waveland Middle School

Public | 6-8 & ungraded | 439 students

Posted December 6, 2013

Some of the teachers are great and some are ok. There is a lot of bullying going on and we moved because of this too. My daughter liked the school - the hassles with mean students. Office does nothing to help or stop it. Liked the area but not the middle school. My son in high school did well there. They sit beside each other.

Posted December 2, 2013

Some of my teachers are rude and mumble but if you dont hear them you get in trouble and if you ask what they said they tell you that you shold have listened to them. If you aint part of the in crowd they dont listen to you anway. I cant wait to get out of here and go to high school. They stand outside of the lunch room to see if you have a jacket that they agree to or they take it away no mater how cold it is.

Posted November 25, 2013

School does not address bullying issues even though they will admit they have them. Beware! At first glance it appears to be a great school...that appearance will change if you ever need to go to them. The vice principle will change his story to protect his lack of professionalism and actual ability to make a difference. They appear more interested in protecting those who are troubled children. Shame really. We liked the area but are relocating due to their lack of caring for their students.

Posted November 25, 2013

The principle is beyond useless and does not return phone calls. More concerned about her appearance than her children.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 30, 2010

This school is a very tough school, I moved from gmms to bwms and I was a straight a student now Im struggling just to keep at an average 3.0. Im not in favor of all the staff at Bay Middle but thats my oppinon. Overall though this school is a good school except a few minor flaws.

Posted September 19, 2009

Excellent education, caring staff, wonderful student body, teachers and principal!

Posted May 10, 2009

the no jacket policy is horrible!! i get like super cold like really easily and it's always cold. they need art classes. the teachers need to be nicer. it is not fair teachers can have electronics gum and wear what ever they want! omg!

Posted January 30, 2005

I have a child in the 8th grade. This school has not only met my expectations but has far exceeded them. To those parents that think the school policy is too harsh, you must not living in the same world as the rest of us. Let your kids do wrong and they will. We all should thank the scholl for the fine job they are doing. I feel safe sending my child to school every day. We must only look at the test scores as compared to the state average. Keep up the excellant work.

Posted January 29, 2005

First of all I think it's not fair that we have to have a no jacket rule! If the issue about not wearing a jacket is because we can smuggle drugs,guns,etc. then what is the point of having on socks or having pockets on our pants?We can just as easily smuggle drugs in our socks or any other clothing spot just as we can in jackets. I think it is not fair that we cannot be who we really are because we are stuck with uniforms that make us all alike. Im sure we kids would do alot better in school knowing we are ourselves and not stuck with clothing chosen by other people. Who really cares what we're wearing anyway?.So whats the point? As long as we get good grades it shouldnt matter what we wear. I do however like the extracurricular activities.

Posted January 5, 2005

This is my second year at the middle school and some of the rules are crazy!!!!First of all the whole thing with no jackets I don't understand.Do not tell a student they may not wear a jacket if you are going to do it yourself.Why do we even have uniforms in the first place?A student should be able to express their individuality.We can't wearing the same thing!This mandatory uniform policy needs to be removed.I heard there was a poll done for uniforms and that most of the parents wanted them.Have they done a poll since they issued a uniform policy?I doubt it!

Posted January 4, 2005

I am very disappointed in this school system- they do not care about our children's education all they care about is wheather our children are wearing jackets or have their shirts tucked in!

Posted December 3, 2004

I attend BWMS and i am in the eighth grade. I make straight A's and i have excellent teachers. However, i think that the no jacket rule could be taken out because some teachers keep their classrooms like -30 some days and i think im going to catch a cold. Also i HATE the 3 inches above the knee rule. I hate how the 'preps' get away with wearing skirts and shorts that are 8 inches above their but others cant. I also think that our food could be better. Well other than that the principal is great.

Posted November 17, 2004

my daughters both go to this school and the rules are ridiculous. Mr. Labat is irrisponsibly not meeting my expectations as ast. principal. He needs to be taken out of ast. principal position and replaced by a less harsh, and more forgiving person.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 31, 2004

Bay Middle is a pretty good school. The principal is great, but the rules are harsh. The no jactet policy is terrible the rules of the cafeteria are even worse and the skirt length is redicllus.I am 5'4 and I have very hard problerms finding a skirt long enough to fit. When I finally did find a skirt it was 4.4 cm in. Well they had just changed it from 4 to 3 so it was even harder. I have gotten in trouble many times and itisompletly unfair becuase the shorter people can go tom school with the buts hangin out but the tall people constanlly get picked on, this is a completly unfair rule it needs to be changed to 5 or 6 in above your knee. Another problem is unfair treatment, its not fair that teachers can use cell phones chew gum and so on. Theunfairtreatment needs work.

Posted July 11, 2004

This school is too strict they are running this school like it is a private school.The uniform policy has to go.I don't think that they shouldn't have a dress code with certin rules but uniforms are for private schools and that's were they need to stay, for good ms superintendent.

Posted September 16, 2003

The teachers are first rate and they strive to give your child the best education possible. I have never had a problem with a teacher nor have I been disappointed in any teacher's teaching style.

Posted April 22, 2003

I have been very pleased with the 'middle school'. The principal seems to be doing a fine job. The teachers are awesome. This is my daughters 2nd year there and she loves it and loves the faculty. The office assistants are always personable, kind & easy to work with. The nurse is always helpful. I only wish they would separate the soccer team as Jr. high and High School instead of the children always having to play high school. But, maybe one day, because more of the children are becoming interested in it. Parent involvement seems to be good, I'm not always at their meetings because I work 2 jobs and the meetings seem to fall on the evenings I'm busy with work or my children's activities. The safety is a good as I think it can be. Their always looking for ways to improve and I like that about this school. The overall quality has been outstanding for our family. Thanks!

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

157 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 63% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 93% in 2012.

138 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

n/a

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 75%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

600 Pine St