North Woolmarket Elementary and Middle School

Public | K-8 & ungraded

Posted December 8, 2013

I went to this school for all three of my middle school years, and I just don't understand where all the negativity comes from. The school does push test score, but shouldn't all schools encourage their students to do well in testing? As far as the "snooty" people area goes, I will admit that the majority of the kids are well-funded. However, my family was paycheck-to-paycheck and I thrived at this school. I had a lot of great friends that lasted me into high school. Most of the kids that don't enjoy the school don't put any effort into what they do, and if that's the way your child is, don't send them here. Every one my teachers worked hard to push every one of their students to be the best. And even those that barely made it by were greatful to the teachers at the end who did push them to try. The school has recently begun and art program, and the kids always have an option of band. And recess once a week is more than some schools in the county. PE is very safe, and the coaches set rules and regulations that keep everyone safe. Take it from someone who just graduated from there and loved it, you couldn't have a school, curriculum, or enviroment better than NWEMS.

Posted July 28, 2013

I just graduated from NWMS, and I went there for about 3years. It's such a phenomenal school. I can only speak for the middle school side, but the teachers are great. They and the entire school push and prepare you to be your very best. I was a gifted student, the Beta Club Vice President, an annual staff member, and a basketball player, and the entire time my teachers worked with me and were understanding when it came to my work and extra-curricular activities. I feel like the students who give negative reviews didn't want to be pushed to their best. Because from experience, the students who want to make it by in an average way will be pushed, and most of them resent it until their last year, and then they thank their teachers so much. In all honesty, I'm going to miss this school. I wouldn't have wanted to spend my middle school years anywhere else. Although I can't say I was fond of every teachers, the majority of them were amazing and they take all the time they can to help each and every student individually excel at what they do. Only those who don't trym, fail honestly. This school is one of the best on the Gulf Coast, and I wouldn't suggest anywhere else to anyone.

Posted July 19, 2012

Take it from someone who goes to this school.This is the worst school I've EVER been to,and I went to two schools before i got here.All they care about is being the star school acting like they're the best,but they are not.Most kids get in trouble for no reason.The only students that they love are the teacher's children, the gifted students, the students who play sports,and the special needs students.Sometimes they even have mold on their fruit.There is also unfairness in this school.An example is:my friend wore knee-high converse boots to shcool one day,and my language teacher said that she wasn't allowed to wear those , and a month or so before,this girl in my class was wearing the same shoes.She didn't get in trouble.I get so bored in my classes that sometimes I just want to get up and walk home.We barelydo any fundraisers, and the only fundraisers I think we should do is sell 1 dollar chocolate bars because 1dollar can add up to 1,000 daollars with all the kids we have.We don't get 90 minutes of physical excersise.The band students only get physical excersise during recess which is 15 to 30 minutes and on Fridays.I'm going to the 7th grade 2012-2013.

Posted July 1, 2012

If your child is an emotional soft spoken kind hearted person then i urge you DO NOT send them here. If they don't fall in with the crowd and do as everyone else then they will get bullied and the school will do NOTHING to stop the bullying. My child went to this school and by the time i found out how miserable she was it was almost too late. She was on the verge of suicide due to nobody assisting her and fear of reporting it because then it may get worse. Since I have brought her out of this school and started home schooling she has become her wonderful loving self again. All they care about is ensuring the students make the test scores necessary and nothing else.

Posted April 15, 2012

I would like to reply to the negativity that I viewed on this site... 1. Corporal punishment is by law allowed in all schools in Mississippi. North woolmarket sends home a consent form at the beginning of the school year for parents to opt in or out of c. punishment and would NEVER enforce it without calling a parent first. 2.Students receive 90 minutes over the minimum amount of physical activity required each week within their PE classes and recess. 3. students with special needs have a diverse curriculum and a wonderful group of teachers. I too have a special needs child who is VERY happy at this school! 4. There are no tests taught at this school. People who make comments like this are uneducated in the methods of the school and the implementation of curriculum. 5. High expectations are taught from the first day of kindergarten and although there are not a lot of elective classes taught there due to lack of federal funding, it is a wonderful experience for all involved! I would not send either of my children to a different school on the ENTIRE Mississppi Gulf Coast! North Woolmarket is the best by far! :)

Posted January 18, 2012

I pray before you send your child to this school you will visit it first. The school looks great on paper because all it does is focus on test. There is little focus on development of a child as a whole with a lack of recess starting as young as 1st grade, no music or art classes in the lower grades, and children are disciplined like our parents, corporal. Current brain based research shows recess, discussing new material during class with peers, and positive behavior systems create well rounded students who do not need to be taught the tests, they know the material because they learn to love learning. Had I left my children here, they would have begun to loathe school just as most of their peers there do.

Posted October 25, 2011

I completely agree with the last review. The school looks good on paper, but being involved in the school is a different story. This school has one objective and that is maintaining high scores. If you have a child with special needs (autism) please find an alternative school. As a parent of an autistic child I have had zero success in collaboratively working with the teachers & principal. If your child needs any special accommodations or individualized education it will be not be addressed here. The current principal of the school tends to view things in black or white. A child fits into regular education or they belong in a self contained classroom. A child with diverse needs, who falls somewhere between the two settings, is not properly supported and will fall through the cracks. Unfortunately, best practices in educating a child with autism are absent here. If the principal doesn t view your child as a source for keeping high test scores then your child will only be viewed as a problem. There are some very good teachers in this school, but I can t say that about all of them. Teachers who choose not to communicate with a parent are protected by the principal.

Posted March 10, 2011

this school only cares about the test scores. they are not concerned about the children in any shape way or form, the principal doesn't even have any clue as to what is going on in her school. my child went to this school for kindergarden and first grade and during first grade i pulled her out and paid tuition to a neighboring city. i sent her back for fourth grade and she is now in fifth. i will most likely not be sending her back next year for sixth grade on up. this is a snooty school and if you are a family who lives day by day, paycheck by paycheck then your child will have a hard time. they do nothing about children picking on other children and if a child says someone did something they just take the childs word for it instead of investigating what happened. there is no extracurricular activities at this school. library once a week, pe four days a week and recess once a week. and this is happening with all classes at the same time. How does the pe teacher keep track of that many children at once? they can't and therefor kids are getting hurt with no remorse from the staff or school.

Posted January 19, 2011

We moved here this past summer and were impressed with this school on paper. However, once we stepped foot in the door things went down hill quickly. This school is totally and completely focused on academic test scores and nothing else. No art, no music, maybe once weekly recess. They are force feeding children data and asking for it to be spewed right back on test after test after test. On the night before the first day of school I met the teachers and offered to come into the classroom to help out with art or other projects and I was told, "We don't have time for that." The principal and her office staff are not available and don't care about your input if it differs from their plan. We ran for the hills. We lasted 4 weeks, all the while my boys came home in tears and I tried to figure out what we were going to do. We now pay tution to a neighboring school district. Also, there is no diversity in this school at all. We were shocked to walk in and see that all the children look exactly the same.

Posted November 5, 2010

Ok I am an eighth grade student at NW. The school is great academically, and most teachers are nice (unless your child acts up), but the principal we have now says all of this stuff when really she does nothing she promises to do. Also it is true that sometimes things get in the school that shouldn't. People are also right when they say it doesn't have that many things to do outside of the classroom like art and choir.(WE used to have choir and I was in it but the choir teacher switched schools.) Also, one specific secratary is mean and never seems hat she wants to deal with you. All our principle is concerned about is our scores and grades! But overall this is probably the best school you could send your child to by far. btw... all of the other comments are mostly true.

Posted October 14, 2010

If you are upper middle class, the parent of a cheerleader or sport player, or have a child that scores high with little effort then you probably absolutely love this school. However, if you have a child who struggles just to pass this school could prove to be more than you can handle. The principal only seems to care about dress code and test scores, the teachers aren't about to contact a parent for any reason, and the students are stifled by the pressure to score high on district and state exams.

Posted September 3, 2010

No Music, No art only one day of recess which can and will be taken away if pulled cards. No way for them to earn cards back Can't talk at lunch. No individuality. EVERYONE must look and dress the same. Push for testing and books but not allowed to have fun. Learning is no longer fun at this school . Drill, Drill, Drill is all they do. Wish they would lighten up and not run a military school. Principal nit picks beyond belief and is not in the interest of the kids but being the top testing school for money. Oh yeah they barely allow parents the involvement with the school inless you are bringing in money for them. Think I am done. Can't wait to be stationed out of here for school reasons.

Posted August 27, 2009

this school is amazing once you get past all the work and join a few activities, i belive this school is a greta place to learn creativity and even music even though that its only allowed for 6th grade and up its awesome because it keeps you straight and out of trouble. i'm one of the students in the choir and we are not funded and thats why its not school wide and it was founded by the best teacher who always thinks of ways to be creative like in vocab. and now that ill be gone next year i'm really goin to be down because nwems is the best school i've been to and the teachers really care about us so yeah its the best to me.!!!

Posted June 30, 2009

I think the school is great, but there is a lot of stuff that teachers don't see that kids are doing. It's a little aggravating to have 4 weeks tests, 8 weeks tests, and 9 weeks tests every 9 weeks. And that doesn't count the extra tests the teachers give us and the MCT2. It would be great if we had an art class or something. Kids end up getting bored and therefore are ending up doing drastic things.

Posted February 9, 2009

This could be a truly awesome school if the administration could ever get their act together and worry more about the kids than appearances.

Posted January 16, 2009

This is a good school, but there is nothing that is offered to release your artistic side. Choir and sports are offered to the middle school side, but nothing to the elementary kids. Also, a lot of students break school rules and bring dangerous items to school. It's a bit scary to know that at least one person has something that might hurt you when I'm walking to my class in the hallway.

Posted September 19, 2008

Good school in terms of academics and high MCT scores (which seems to be the school's religion), but if you want a free-thinker, art, music, or sports don't come here! No sports are offered for Elem kids, unless you go through the city of Biloxi. Also, there needs to be more physical activity. Kids go nuts doing work all day with no way to get their energy out...

Posted August 16, 2007

I have lived in Miss. all my life. This is the best school ever! My family and I moved to the coast because of the schools. I give this school an A+ !!!!!!

Posted February 5, 2007

I am proud to say my child attends NW. The teachers are great, however I'm very concerned with the lack of physical activity the children are getting. Not only that, where is the creative side?

Posted January 19, 2006

great school, very structured if that is what you feel your child needs. The teachers are wonderful and care about the kids. There needs to be more art and outdoor activities...and creative thinking; a good bit of pressure is put on teachers to have high MCT scores.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 63% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 93% in 2012.

142 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

16237 Old Woolmarket Rd