Biloxi High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 23 students

Posted July 20, 2013

The school's a few eggs short of a dozen, but it still delivers a tasteful omelet. The academic and extracurricular opportunities are nothing short of amazing, there's so much to do that you would have to go out of your way not to get involved. The administration is really top tier when it comes to discipline and behavior; fellow students may call it Alcatraz, but I call it a safe learning environment. Biloxi High offers well over 10 AP classes and the staff offers generous assistance to any of those who may need the extra mile or desire to sharpen their GPA. Multiple tutoring sessions and retest opportunities have a late bus running in the afternoon to remedy the issue of needing parental transportation. Multiple club, organizations, sports activities, and overall kind student body means a new student moving in will have plenty of opportunities to socialize and interact. Biloxi High's generous AP opportunities and extracurricular choices along with its remarkable staffing and healthy student body make it an amazing place for a young adult to excel in his studies. For the serious student, assistance with post-secondary education is even offered. This is an omelet worth eating.

Posted August 27, 2012

They don't teach at this school. Teachers could barely say students names. And its was part of the constellation!

Posted August 16, 2011

I went here for my freshman year. This school is awesome, the teachers care and give respect As long As you do your part. The atmosphere is great and diverse. We even have our own cafe. The athletics are off the chain. I'm from DC, school doesn't get much better than this. Sadly I have to go back to DC. if your child attends this school, be thankful because he/she could be going to a shook like mine with 3 clubs, no football team, rude teachers that don't care and swear in class, fights very week, 9 security guards because of the potential danger. It could be worse.

Posted February 17, 2011

We came from a block scheduled school and my son lost 6 months of schooling. They did not have courses to match up where he came from and he is had to take algebra for a second time because of this. He is a straight B student and has never had any trouble. We are in the military and if you live on Keesler AFB this is the school district you have to go to unless you pay out of pocket. The school policy in regards to cell phones etc is oudated and parents have no control. The School Board answers to no one and come across as close minded bullies. Run far and fast. Its no wonder other states so outclass them.

Posted April 22, 2010

I have a son who attended this school for 2 years. The prinicpal is rude and so is her secretary. She was allowed to hire her own daughter AND son-in-law to teach at the school. After several disappointments with the academics, sports programs, and attitude of the principal, we removed our son and placed him in a better school system. By the way, he was never in any trouble and an Honor Roll student. It's a shame they lose the good students.

Posted November 17, 2009

My son is a freshman--the first freshman class for this school since it expanded and the district restructured. So far, I'm not impressed.

Posted October 4, 2009

It's a great school, with a caring Principal and staff. They have even been featured on the national news! Something positive for Mississippi!!

Posted August 31, 2009

Moving into the Biloxi School district was horrible. Yes, the High School is a very nice facility, but the curriculum was work that I had been doing in the sixth grade.

Posted November 10, 2008

Just graduated in May of 2008. Greatest experience of my life. The education I received from BHS is priceless in how much it prepared me for life.

Posted August 7, 2008

BHS is an excellent school. The adminstration is wonderful and the campus is state of the art. Biloxi Public Schools have made tremendous progress in the last 15 years. Any child has the oppurtunity to thrive in this diverse and safe enviroment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 31, 2006

Biloxi High school is a very good school. I love all the programs the school have. Parents can get involved with everything. The teachers are excellent role models. I love Biloxi High School. The academic programs is exquisite. They have many extracurricular programs the students can join. I love Biloxi High School band program. The instructor are very serious and everything they do.

Posted March 2, 2006

As the parent of a Biloxi High grad and current senior, I have to say that the quality of education my children have received is outstanding. The high school is a new, sprawling complex full of the latest innovations available and highly qualified teachers. Biloxi High was featured on national news in 2004 as being one of the first school districts in the country to use security cameras in every classroom. The school consistently rates a top-level 5 each year. I have no complaints and only praise for its staff and administration. Keesler military members who have been told (as we were)that Ocean Springs is the only school district worth anything in south Mississippi, take another look at Biloxi. Mine attended both. High ACT and SAT scores are common here and athletic students will love the new artificial turf stadium and modern basketball, soccer and baseball facilities.

Posted January 13, 2006

As a junior of Biloxi High School, I have been blessed with a superb atmosphere for learning. Unlike many schools, Biloxi High offers a dizzying array of electives and vocational opportunities, all of which are both sincere and enjoyable. My school has helped me evolved into a well-rounded and social person, and with a wide range of ethnicities, personalities, and resources, Biloxi High has ultimately made me a citizen of the world, albeit I have never left the South. So if you're a military parent or student and are worried about moving to the boondocks of MS, don't believe the stereotype. Biloxi High School breaks such stereotypes, and not only meets the needs of superior students and disabled individuals but goes above and beyond the mean. Thanks to my school, I'm to attend Tulane University for a Ph.D in Chemical Engineering and a Masters in Biomolecular and Cellular Biology.

Posted December 20, 2005

I just moved to Washington and I'm a sophomore. In my opinion, no other school can compare to it's greatness. The teachers are really great, they'll go out of their way to help out with anything weather they teach it or not; the kids there are actually just as helpful as the teachers in most cases; everything is clean and in it's place in all classrooms. The hallways make the whitest of white look dirty. So if you're a parent who thinks biloxi or MS in genoral is terrible, it's not. The schools there have outstanding standards for it's students.

Posted June 22, 2004

I graduated from B.H.S. about four years ago and I recently completed an undergraduate degree. B.H.S. nurtured a love for learning in me that was different than other students enrolled in my college classes. I am proud to be a product of Biloxi High School and it shows wherever I go.I will attend graduate school in the fall thanks to the knowledge and guidance from B.H.S. faculty and staff.It is a wonderful learning institution.

Posted January 14, 2004

As a 2003 graduate of the Biloxi Public School district I was very impressed. Now that I am a freshman in college th knowledge that I have obtained from B.H.S was very beneficial.

Posted August 25, 2003

I think that Biloxi High is a great school with high education values. They also have great school spirit.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

330 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

217 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

379 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

333 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1845 Richard Dr