Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Posted June 12, 2016
My daughter attended this school for almost a year. The school likes to promote their pro-military ideas and programs but in reality they are just horrible. First the curriculum is years behind anyone else in the country let alone the DODDS schools that we used while in Japan. Second the teachers just don't care about the students or their needs. My daughter came from a DODDS school (1st grade) doing multiplication and was far ahead of anything in MS. The teacher was unwilling to even understand that what they were teaching was too easy. So naturally my daughter fell behind and had to play catch up when we moved away. My friend had his 3rd grade girl beat up by three 6th grade boys, not only did they not receive even a phone call but when they confronted the school on the matter they were just blown off. Third the teachers play favorites, they pick the kids they like and treat them different. On several occasions my daughter forgot her school work. When asked if they check they said they do random checks to make sure kids remember. They never checked my daughters and when asked why we were told that it was because she was one of only 4 white kids. Completely unacceptable from a school teacher. The last thing was a school project, the students had to make a book report and put it on a display. They were given clear instructions on what it needed to have. My daughter came up with an idea to have the information behind doors on the display board. We helped her to set it up but let her do most of the work. She was extremely proud of it and put in a great deal of time making it. It was sent home with a 30 percent grade because it was missing labels. The teacher said that it was in the instructions that it needed labels. We double checked the instructions and no labels were required by the instructions. When confronted with this we were told oh well she still gets a failing grade for missing one item. Further confrontation resulted in my child just not getting graded for the assignment. This school is awful. Sad thing is it is probably the best in Mississippi. If you have the option or ability please do your children a favor and home school. The MS education system will just set them back and ruin their love for school. I have yet to meet a child who attended that school who still likes to go.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted June 12, 2016
When a 3rd grade girl gets beat up by 3 6th grade boys and the principal and teachers don't care there is no development of respect.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted June 12, 2016
The teachers don't seem to care for the students. With out caring there is no way to instill or develop these traits.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 12, 2016
They don't grade fairly, don't send home grading criteria. The teachers are not fair or just in any way.

Posted May 09, 2014
My son has gone to this school for kindergarten and first grade.To be honest I have been very disappointed.Their curriculum is odd even at that level to say the least.My son brings home math homework and I can't begin to try to help him understand the way they want him to work out the problems because it is something I have never seen before in my life.I asked his teacher to help me understand so I can help him.Her answer to me was to be honest she didn't understand either.Thank goodness I am retired from the military now and can get my child out of this school district.

Posted January 30, 2014
I hate this school. My children have been attending this school for a short time. During this time they have watched many movies, which doesn't make very good use of education time. My children have regressed from where they were at when they started attending jeff davis. The teachers and principal truly seem to care about the students but do not have quality curriculum to teach them with. I have a child who is so confused by what they have taught him in math that he seems unable to solve problems that he could solve last school year. I find grammar errors on their language homework. Grammar rules on those same papers are so confusing that I'm not sure how they expect any of the children to understand. I'm very disappointed in this school and am extremely concerned for my children.

Posted January 16, 2014
My daughter has been here for two years now and I have been very pleased. I love the teachers and the principal. I don't have any complaints.

Posted July 18, 2013
Go to a private school. My daughter had a traumatizing experience here, to say the least.

Posted June 21, 2013
Both of my kids attended JD over last 3 yrs and could not be happier with the teachers and entire administration. Military families...this is the school you want your kids in. They care about the kids and keep great communication with parents. If any parent disagrees, I wonder if Dr Nelson was involved, but after 3 yrs/ 10 teachers, I've never had a problem. Best PTA involvement/activities for kids. Rewards programs galore.Thriving A/B Honor roll kids and I do believe it is bc this school encourages and celebrates EVERY little milestone.

Posted June 21, 2013
One of the best schools I have ever attended.Sure, maybe the teachers will yell at your kid or yell in general, but kids need discipline. Have you ever thought maybe it was your kid doing all the problems, like roaming the halls, or talking in class? It isn't the teachers faults, so I don't know why you guys are writing bad reviews.Personally, as an All A Honor roll student, the 10 year old in Create, the kid who attended this school for 5 years, this is personally the best school I've ever been to. Schools who just say move your clip, you acted up, I don't know why you like these schools better, you will never get proper discipline, and your kids might like the teachers, but they probably only like them because they'll never get caught when they act up. There is nothing Jeff Davis should improve, but I have had successful grades and thats from the wonderful teachers that teach there. So the people complaining about yelling, I think you've got it all wrong

340 St Mary Blvd, Biloxi, MS  39531
Last modified Jeff Davis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.