Byhalia Elementary School (K-4)

Public | PK-4 & ungraded | 592 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 21, 2013

Our schools (Elementary, middle and High school) have all received a bad reputation because of racial inequality caused by the formation of a private academy way back in the early 70's. The truth is the scores are up, way up. The teachers are top notch and really the only lacking is in Parental involvement. The recent recession has caused more students to leave the private schools and join the county schools. Also the troubled Shelby County school district has drove many new families to our area. Our schools have the precieved reputation as to being less than the Lewisburg, Olive Branch or other Desoto County Schools, yet in reality, we are better. I hope to see many other posters here who have the numbers and facts to back up my statements. I am a Grandmother whose child will not enter the system for a few more years, but I want the best school possible for her, and yet keep her in this small rural safe town.

Posted August 21, 2013

All three of my children attend school here one in 3rd grade, a sophomore and a junior. The principles know each child by name and greets them with a smile every morning! The state testing scores actually were better than Lewisburg School! I'm appalled at the fact that the testing scores have not been updated! This is a small town full of loving parents who are very involved with their children and parent attendance at the school is way up! The teachers are some of the best, most loving and helpful teachers! I highly recommend Byhalia Elementary, Middle and High School to any parent! Indian Pride!!

Posted August 21, 2013

Both of my kids have been going to Byhalia schools since Kindergarten. My oldest just graduated high school last year WITH HONORS and was awarded several scholarships. My youngest child is now a freshman and I am proud to say he is doing great as well. All three schools have improved so much over the years but no one seems willing to acknowledge that. All they want to do is focus on the past. I am proud of the accomplishments that the teachers and students have made. While I no longer have kids in the elementary or middle schools, I still help out over there every chance I get. More parents should take the time to ask what they can do to help the schools instead of constantly complaining about them or using them as a free baby sitting service.

Posted May 27, 2009

I have to agree with some of the other comments that more parents should be involved. the school has some nice activities that involve parent interaction, but some parents act like they do not care but want to be the first ones to react when they think their child can do no wrong. From a parents point of view, the school has too many little concession sales or something that involves children having to bring money to school to buy hot chips, juice, and candy. i get tired that every other week, here comes my child with a form about something being sold at school. I told my child that no money is leaving this house because i get broke off sending money for every little thing; and for what? but i do get along well with many of the teachers and principal.

Posted December 6, 2007

Could be better if more of our parents would take an interest in their kids. Unfortunately, our school is used more for a daycare. We are lacking parent interaction.

Posted April 21, 2007

Parents should always be involved in their child's education. I know sometimes it is difficult depending on personal situations, but it is important to make time for your child. This school is not the best in Mississippi, but with the help of parents and the community to hold the teachers and administrators accountable this school can become a better learning environmnet for the students. We have to start caring about our children and make a point to know what goes on in their lives. Ask questions everyday...make them tell you what went on at school. If something doesn't seem right, then go to the school and find out about it. Lots of great things can happen if more people would become involved!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 12, 2006

There is a handful of teachers trying to do there jobs correctly and God bless them; however, too many don't care,are lazy. The building should be leveled and rebuilt!

Posted May 20, 2005

Unfortunately this school gets worse by the year. I was hoping that with a new pricipal this year, things would be better...boy was I wrong. This year has been about nothing but money. There are a handful of great teachers at this school but they are by far outweighed by the lazy teachers. Most questions asked by parents are mostly answered with 'I don't know' and even an occasional 'It's none of your business'. I have personally tried to help this school numerous times over the years but for the most part, the school basically seems to want to keep the parents in the dark. It's a sad fact that this is the only public school available for my kids to go to. I would love to have the money to send them elsewhere but that just isn't possible. If you have a choice to live elsewhere...DO IT!

Posted April 19, 2005

I have 2 children in this school. My oldest son is in constant fear for his safety. He's told me that he sees drugs, guns and knives in school on a daily basis. He's also has reported that the older boys are going into the girls bathroom. WHERE ARE THE TEACHERS? My child is a good student, he does his work, he's polite, he's even kind to everyone he meets. Why should any child be affraid to go to school? And why won't his teachers listen to his fears and concerns?

Posted January 7, 2005

New principal in 2004 has negatively impacted educational process. Expecting school to finish lower in ratings due to shrinking or inoperable resources, long term broken facilities, and poor moral of instructional staff as they are not provided what they need when it's needed and advised only at last minute of items known to Principal in advance. Frequently conflicting communications between district support and the Principal shown to me by teachers. Parents, students, and teachers are at a loss and serious questions if the district will become proactive on this crisis. I hope to pull my children from this rapidly failing school before my child has long term damage to their academics. The Principal was Asst Superintendent before and should leave before more damage is done. Leave no child behind this entire school is being left.

Posted November 29, 2004

My children currently attend this school and are still fairly new to the area. I do not know for sure how bad this school was in the past (but I've heard some horror stories) but I know compared to the school my children attended prior to Henry, Henry comes up lacking severly. The only improvement I can tell of in the past few months is that they finally have a safer way of dropping off and picking up the children. Which I'm sure is thanks to the new principal. My only hope is that he will continue to improve this school. As for my kids I will remove them from this school as soon as I am able and return to the school district they were in and hope they can put their unfortunate time at Henry behind them, because I know they dread going to this school every morning.

Posted November 12, 2004

Henry school has become one now. Were not divided and that was the best thing kerry reid could have done.My children are doing much better than they have in the past. And if theres a problem the administration is very efficient in handling it. The school still has a way to go but we are on finally on the right track. Again my hat is off to assistant principal sonya cross and admin. Marche phillips. I feel they should be recognized by name.Parents stay a part of your child's learning and stop criticizing so much, search for the positives and help us to build on them. Everyone pray for your school, teachers, bus drivers, assistants, administration, board,cafeteria employees,superintendents and children they need it.

Posted November 12, 2004

Henry school is in the process of again becoming a respected school like the others in the district. Thank you to kerry reid and his adminstrative staff. I would like to mention two in particular mrs sonya cross and ms marche phillips who are doing a wonderful job in backing mr reid. The children are finally doing better and if there is a teacher student problem, the staff is very efficient in handling the situation.My children are doing better and a lot of others also. Henry is one school not divided and that has done a lot for the henry family.Keep up the good work staff parents support your children and school. And above all god is in control he leads just follow.

Posted November 12, 2004

As a former student of henry, i have accomplished alot in my life, i am a dispatcher for the byhalia police dept. As well as a certified medical assistant. I was shocked to see all these parents complain about the school, but not one stated what they personnaly were doing to help improve the problem, i agree improvements can be made, but speaking as a parent learning starts at home. The parent that stated she did not know that her child did not read well until sat's were taken, should blame no one but herself, we as parents have to reemphasize what our children learn, do not blame the school system, for your lack of parenting. Become a part of your childs school and help improve the curriculum, then if your not satisfied, then you can complain.

Posted August 4, 2004

The tax money spent on this school is wasted. Our children would learn more a home in the fields, as in days of old. At present when asking anything of anyone at this school its I'll ask and get back to you, or Hummmm I can't seem to find that now, or we're working on that. If those in the position to control our children can't keep up with their records, teach our children with the ability to answer simple questions concerning what they are teaching, give our children the ability to place faith in those in control, that what they are learning is in truth something worth learning and that when they look it up in a book that the teachers have taught them correctly and not fed them erroneous information.

Posted January 24, 2004

This school has improved some over the years, but nothing is done to get the parents involved. The PTA meetings, school programs, etc. are either during the day when most parents are at work or too early for them to get home from work and attend the activity. If the both teachers and parents work together more could be done. Also 9 weeks is too long a period of time between report cards. Parents need to know their childs problems befor a quarter of the year is gone by.

Posted December 1, 2003

My 12 year old was making A's the whole year long,then she took her SAT's & failed every subject.What does this tell you? I was in total shock,I handed her a book to read & I was in tears.How can these teachers tell me at open house how well my daughter is doing & at 12 can barely read. This school needs to be looked into.There are a few good teachers but when your child watches wedding video's & movies during science class something is very wrong.

Posted October 1, 2003

To say this school has problems is putting it mildly.There is no control by the teachers. The children who have no problem catching on will succeed, but the ones who have problems....I went to school every time report cards came out because my child would have a failing grade or two. I gave the teachers my phone number and asked them to please call me if my child continued struggling but to no avail.

Posted May 1, 2003

Someone in charge of education in this state needs to pay attention. I have lived in twelve states in my life and have had my child in 6 different schools and this is by far the worst. The school staff is not a choice it is a lack of options! Next time I will listen to other parents before I check my child into a school.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Asian 1% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 93%N/A71%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

172 Hwy 309 North