Pearl River Central High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 919 students

Posted June 20, 2014

My son is a recent graduate of PRC. He received a good education and studied physics, higher math courses, and even took a dual enrollment course for college credit. Since the new administration has been in place, PRCHS has improved tremendously. Many of the former teachers are no longer there. There are many new teachers who strive for excellence in education. Parents and students need to remember, though, that a child only gets out of education what he/she puts in, and parental involvement in the education process is vital.

Posted May 11, 2014

Sounds like these, or their children, critical of the school weren't smart enough to make the grade even with the extra help available via after school tutoring. Maybe you should begin looking into some vocational, manual labor type, endeavors. College isn't for you.

Posted July 31, 2013

I am currently enrolled at PRCHS, and it is a miracle that the school wasn't shut down by the state years ago! If you are considering sending your child to this high school you MUST reconsider! Any student who graduates from PRC will have major problems in college and the rest of their life! Absolutely any student who takes a course here can PASS WITH FLYING COLORS without learning anything about the subject at hand! I would never recommend such a poor education on my worst enemy.

Posted January 14, 2013

The school just isn't what it used to be! PRC used to be one of the best schools in the state, but the level of student that is being produced recently isn't what it needs to be for them to succeed in College and beyond! I would like to encourage parents to be more involved in their child's education. If you don't care enough to get involved, then the system will never improve! And I don't mean just to talk bad about the school on the street! Go to Board meetings, go to PTA meetings, and meet with the school's principal to express your concerns and open a pathway for improvement! High School is not a place for baby sitting your child while you are at work, they are supposed to be preparing them for a future! Right now, I don't think they are generating the quality that is needed to be a buggy pusher at WalMart! This could be changing with the new administration, and I hope it is...but the last few years have been BAD! I wish the teachers at PRC would express as much zest for teaching as they do for beating the busses out of the parking lot each day! Wish the school board would get out of the way and let those who know how to educate do their jobs too!

Posted March 31, 2012

Let me preface this post with saying, many of the faculty I met while at PRCHS were devoted men and women. However, the majority of those I just mentioned worked in the office, band hall, and cafeteria. Since graduating in '08, I have, miraculously and without the help of PRC, made it through four years of college and earned a Bachelor's. I had two wonderful teachers, one who left the school a few years ago and one who recently passed away--but only two. I had teachers who allowed us to watch movies and have parties instead of learning. It disgusts me that this institution is still filled with teachers who simply do not care to engage students in learning, but rather, wait until the last two weeks of class to do any type of assignments--I just heard this from a parent earlier today who has a student enrolled in the ninth grade. It's unfortunate that parents have to send their parents to this school simply because of their zipcode; however, It is my hope that the current principal can improve this school before its reputation becomes even worse. I would not send my child to this school and lament the loss of four years of my life which left me lacking necessary skills for college.

Posted July 18, 2011

We have a new Principal this coming year and we are all hoping this will be a great year. She appears to be very competent and determined to improve our school. I am a new highschool parent last year and went to a PTSA meeting; there were only 16 parents there. We have almost 900 students in our school. I was shocked that parents aren't involved! A school cannot be good without parent involvement. PRC Parents please show support for improved academics and more rigorous teaching though your PTA/PTSA or just communicating this to your School Board Member and Principal. An A in a class does not mean your child is learning, if the class is not being taught at a challenging level. Question your child on material they have just learned or Google what they should have learned in a specific class. Like you, I want my kids to be successful and not just get by.

Posted March 16, 2011

I love this school. The teachers are wonderful. They keep me informed with my sons performance. The teachers are always available when I need them. My son started school there in the 6th grade. He has never been to a better school. We used to live in New Orleans. Send your kid to school there then you will have a reason to complain.

Posted January 10, 2011

We started the 2010-2011 school years without enough science and math teachers. The first semester 9th grade Biology Class had 4 teachers cycling through teaching the students. The Biology books were not delivered until September 23, 2010. We started school August 5. There is not a physics teacher because our superintendent stated in the Picayune Item it is cheaper for our students to take the course on line. Most of the students dropped the course because physics is a course that is difficult to take on line. There are no honor classes for the 9th graders even though they had honors courses in middle school. They are working on vocations but it will take some time before they have a vocation department that can really help our children. Needless to say if I did not live it this area I would not buy a house in this area if I had a high school student. We do have teachers that are caring but they are working against the odds! There are to many proplems with the administration.

Posted July 23, 2010

i will never send my children to PRCHS. the teachers over baby the students. the teachers dont let the students grow as an individual and become more responsible. the teachers give way to many chances to let students make up there work. i have gone to PRCHS for three years now and i have not learned anything. most of my time at PRCHS is spent sleeping because the teachers have not planned a lesson for the class.

Posted March 1, 2010

i attended PRC k-12 loved every year loved the teachers and all the staff that i had the pilivage of meeting. this is a above average school that encourages its students both mentally and physically to excel. i loved this school and will be sending my own child here.

Posted September 19, 2008

This is an above average school if the parent stays on top of scheduling and student progress. It does not seem to be the goal of this school to push students toward 4 year colleges. They seem to be satisfied with getting the students through graduation. And if they go on to community college.... more the better, in their opinion. I feel that more of the budget should be spent on the arts instead of sports..... why don't someone look into how many students get full rides to a 4 year college playing sports? I bet the arts students outnumber them 2 fold!

Posted June 16, 2008

As a parent, I love the uniform rules. Everyone has the same clothes on. I read the hand book also. As a parent, I have 6 years of college and am very intuned to my childs needs. I find that many of the teachers have not notified me of my childs grades dropping until my child mentions the low grade and I call. Also it would be great if grades were posted online like Picayune and Slidell schools. As a parent I am very involved in my childs education and sometimes I have been made feel that I am overconcerned, even been told I only call when I have a problem. When else would I call? But children are very concerned about clothes and fitting in at this age. Many teachers have been very helpful but in the end being fair, giving respect will make everyone work hard and return respect

Posted April 12, 2008

I have been a teacher at PRC for twenty years. It is a wonderful school where students are given top priority. Supportive parents and good students say this is a good school. Most of the complaints here are about uniforms, but in fact, we don't have uniforms, just a strict dress code. Within the dress code, there are options for the students. If parents would simply read the handbook and not send their children to school in violation of the dress code, all of us could be happier, teachers and students alike. I taught here before uniforms, and students frequently came to school improperly dressed. If parents would have more closely monitored what the students were wearing to school then, teachers would not be having to do it now. Maybe parents should care more about how we are educating their children and less about what we are asking them to wear.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 3, 2007

I graduated from this high school. I attended PRC from K-12. These years were the best years of my life. As much as I didn't want to, I learned alot.

Posted July 24, 2007

As a parent of 2 children that go to this school, I would have to say that: this school does not focus on our kids education to well. I, on a personal note have experienced with my daughter the favortism shown towards dance team and cheerleading, etc. Eventually all this drama will catch up with them and bite them in the rear.

Posted June 3, 2007

PRC High School has some fine teachers but poor support from the school board. The school has an excellent drama program but no decent theater for performances. Gyms are for jocks only--there is no concept of physical education for non varsity students. Only two semesters are offered in foreign languages.

Posted May 23, 2007

As a former student I am very pleased with PRC. I do have to say that I really don't care for the uniforms but it does teach the students discipline and how to abide by the rules (all of which is needed in today's society). I can probably pick a hand-full of teachers that really prepared me for college, but in the same sense what each teacher taught me stuck with me and helped just as much. The harder teachers are more like the college professors. The easier ones just made it easier to learn the subject not just let us buy. It is quite a fair school and a great educational experience. The environment is wonderful and it really sets a great place for learning. My children will definitely go to this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 27, 2007

I cannot stand this school. If PRC would get their heads out of wherever they're at and try to ac tually teach these students someting as opposed to worrying about whether they have on the RIGHT type of uniform shirt on or the PERFECT pair of UNIFORM pants on then maybe we actually can be one of the best in the state. I HATE this school with a passion and wish i never attended it!

Posted April 12, 2006

Upper level classes are very limited. This school will not prepare your child for college.

Posted July 13, 2005

I actually graduated from this school in May 2004 and moved on to PRCC in August 2004. While PRC is a wonderful place where the students get along for the most part, the education is not up to par. I was certainly not prepared for my first semester of college. Take a look at most of these people's comments...improper english and words spelled incorrectly is all that I coluld see. While the environment is one of the best I've encountered, the education should be MUCH better!
—Submitted by a former student

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

194 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

230 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

211 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 57%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7407 Hwy 11