Columbus, MS

Heritage Academy 1

Posted July 01, 2014
I am a former Heritage Academy Patriot. I was bullied here constantly. I was so glad my parents actually decided to move away from this place. This even happened in front of some of my teachers and they didn't even care. I only went to elementary school here and not the high school. I wouldn't recommend anyone send their children here, unless you hate them. At one point, I didn't even come back in from recess. I just stayed outside until it was time to go home and no one noticed, no one cared. That's about what you can expect here, small minds and smaller hearts!!

Heritage Academy 3

Posted June 17, 2014
I had to give my opinion after I read what the person who gave it one star said. That's a really stupid and incorrect critique, and I'm not crazy about Heritage either. I graduated from there, and had no problem with college at all. I had no problem getting advanced degrees either. Many of the kids who graduate from there become professionals in their fields. I do think the public schools tend to have better teachers, just because they pay more, have health insurance, and it's more competetive for those jobs. However, Heritage teachers don't have to put up with as discipline issues, and have more time to teach, and maybe even enjoy teaching. The kids, and some of the adults in the school can be really gossipy and entitled acting. It can be a miserable experience if you don't "fit in" with some of those snobs. There were always a few nice people, though, too.

Posted August 09, 2013
You can't go wrong choosing to send your children to Heritage Academy if you live in this area. Very devoted teachers and staff. The average ACT score this last year was a 25 and every child was offered scholarships. They've assembled a great and caring staff at both the elementary and high school. The athletic coaches are devoted and won several state championships last year.

Heritage Academy 2

Posted May 17, 2013
Best in the area...but that's not saying much! Yes, the High Schoolers are given laptops to use...too bad that's all this school really has to offer them. Academics are WAY BELOW AVERAGE compared to almost another state's public schools. Firmly believe that when we finally transfer out of the area my son will be behind at least 1yr, maybe 2yrs. It HURTS me EVERY MONTH to PAY for such a pathetic education:( It is the best you can hope for in the area though and that is what my family has to keep telling itself...we just CAN'T do any better HERE! The High School is poorly run with crazy schedules that are never communicated (even on the school calendar). Some of the front office staff speak poorly of parents, even if other parents are present, laugh at you on the phone if you call to ask any questions, and in general make the school an even worse environment than it has to be. Sports are minimal and clubs are lacking. ZERO homework, NO real projects, MINIMAL writing assignments. In short, you probably don't have another choice in the area, UNFORTUNATELY that means your children will be sorely behind and have an AWFUL time trying to raise the bar once they enter college:(

Posted April 01, 2013
Heritage Academy is the best school in the Golden Triangle. The new headmaster is very academically focused. The classes are small enough for the teachers to have wonderful one-on-one attention with each student. The technology the school uses with its students is uncomparable in the area. Each student 9-12 grade is issued their own laptop computer. All other students have access to computers for assignments and research. There is a wide variety of sports programs for all students to participate in. . All three of my children were well prepared for college when they left Heritage. If I had to do it all over again, I would have started my first two in the K-program, instead of waiting until 7th grade. The new elementary principal has made incredible improvements at the school, and I hear there are more to come. There are positive and negatives to every school in the area. No school is perfect, but for the Golden Triangle area you can't beat the quality of Heritage Academy. Not only will your child get a good education, but they will like the teachers, their friends, and the environment, which always makes learning more enjoyable. I miss being a Heritage Academy Patriot.

Heritage Academy 2

Posted March 25, 2013
This school is the best you can hope for in the area. Unfortunately, compared to almost any other public school in any other state, this school really lacks everything. The facilities aren't great, the teachers aren't great, and the academics are SORELY lacking. If your child will be attending a MS University or college it will suffice, however if they have any higher expectations be prepared for them to be WAY BEHIND the most average of curves. My advice...if you are economically trapped in this area or are stationed here due to the military, try to get out as quick as you can, however this school will DO until you can and is definitely your best option. If you have any choices at all in your families location or children's education, avoid at all costs! On a positive note...do not worry about safety at this school, it's small enough to almost guarantee you will have zero problems.

Posted August 11, 2011
This a great school!!!!! There is great leadership in the school . My child has never been happier. I have great confidence in the teachers.

Posted August 10, 2011
I think Heritage is a GREAT school. My parents & other parents started Heritage Academy for me my 3rd grade year. I love what it stands for and the way Heritage prepares my children for college and life skills. I would highly recommend Heritage to any new person coming to Columbus, MS.

Posted August 09, 2011
My child has been in the public school system and has recently enrolled at Heritage as a high school senior. Our experience, already, has been phenominal! The school is focused on educating the "whole" child, the administration and teachers are hands on, approachable, positive and the parents are so involved. Heritage has the most welcoming atmosphere I have ever seen. This atmosphere is so conducive to learning and excelling. I look forward to this year and this experience. Should have made this decision a long time ago!!!

Posted August 09, 2011
2 of my children have attended Heritage Academy and I have been very pleased with their education and the positive influence the school has had on them. My daughter graduated this past year and I was extremely impressed with her ACT score.

Heritage Academy