Ms School For Math And Science

Public | 11-12

Student diversity

Posted April 17, 2014

This is one of the BEST SCHOOLS in MS. I was just there and it is so AWSOME. No one can teach you what MSMS teaches you. 5 STARS all the way.

Posted July 28, 2013

The parent who gave a 2 star review on 10/9/2007 has me confused. The claim is that MSMS is not "regionally accredited" and therefore your child was not considered for the Hope scholarship. I'm pretty sure that the Hope scholarship has a Georgia residency requirement. MSMS has a Mississippi residency requirement. It seems to me your complaint is more that you were not allowed to double dip due to your residency discrepancy, not that MSMS did anything to hinder scholarship consideration. MSMS has sent kids to universities all over the world. Cal Tech, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Mississippi State, University of Mississippi, University of Southern Mississippi, Millsaps, MC. Those are just some of the schools my classmates went to 25 years ago. MSMS was the reason they had the opportunity to go such places.

Posted May 20, 2013

My daughter will graduate from MSMS this Saturday. I did not want her to go. I felt she was too young and immature to make it in the strict and challenging environment of this boarding school. Well I was wrong. She not only has survived but excelled beyond my wildest dreams. It is very hard since she is competing with brilliant kids but she dug in and studied her behind off and will graduate with a 3.8. Not perfect but she has learned so much at MSMS that she wouldn't have had the opportunity to learn at her home school. I highly recommend this school. It was worth my heartache from missing her to see the awesome and confidant young lady she has become.

Posted September 28, 2009

My son graduated from MSMS and is now a Physics and Biochemistry major in college. He is planning to become a physician. MSMS was the best opportunity for him - he learned so much more at MSMS than he could've learned in public high school. MSMS has been so instrumental in his education. The curriculum and faculty of MSMS are the best!

Posted September 20, 2009

MSMS changed my life and is the best thing in education MS has to offer. I came from a poverty-ridden home and horrible school and ended graduating from one of the best colleges in the US. With that said, it's not for everyone. Your child should be ready both academically and emotionally. I can tell you that many kids there are spoiled and expect things to run their way, as they probably did at home. Reality Check! Parents who complain the school is too strict need a reality check too! Firstly, the school is responsible for over 250 kids, and if you think your child should not receive the consequences set for everyone and the same ones you agreed to when you signed the papers to allow them to go, then keep your child home and let other kids who really need MSMS benefit from that rare jewel.

Posted August 25, 2009

I absolutely love this school. It is so far one of the best experiences of my life.

Posted July 22, 2009

My son is a proud graduate of Mississippi School for Mathematics and Sciences (MSMS). As a parent I found MSMS to be an excellent high school My son has since graduate college, and, has a career in NYC.

Posted November 23, 2008

As a current student at MSMS I feel the need to join in on defending the school. As for the 'quasi-prison' state that the school has evolved into, this is only due to the fact that many students cannot handle the responsibility of managing themselves when they are away from their parents. If it weren't for this select group of students, these rules would not have been enacted. As for them being too harsh, the only things that are completely restricted from us students, regardless of parent involvement, are those things that could directly lead to harm or illegal activity on the student's part. Any decent parent should agree that this is a good policy to enforce. I feel that the largest flaw of MSMS is not the fault of the school. This is what my mother refers to as 'helicopter parents' who hover over their student's every move.

Posted August 3, 2008

Most teachers have PhDs and are more than happy to tutor one-on-one after school. The competitive environment also encourages students to develope rigorous studying habits. However, majority of the students is narrow-minded, pompous, and/or socially challenged.

Posted May 20, 2008

The education I recieved at MSMS is, I feel, the best I could have possibly gotten in the state of Mississippi. I have to agree that the extracurriculars are subpar but the majority of them are run by students. The SGA is very involved and makes a difference in the school and the sports teams are actually succesful in areas. Overall I would highly recommend MSMS to any student who feels they can handle the challenge of an extreme curriculum and the maturity that comes with living in a dormatory.

Posted April 18, 2008

I have to wonder how involved the parent is who is knocking the extra-curricular events. I'll bet they sent their child to MSMS and never knew that the 'extras' have absolutely no traditional booster organizations or the opportunity to build groups as they only have them for two years and they come from all over. I'll bet that parent never attended a game, meet, play or concert. Furthermore, if the parent who wrote the negative review was knowlegeable about the school, he or she would know that the legislavtive mandate for the school places emphasis on MATH & SCIENCE with a bulk of the funding allocated in those areas. If a students priority is to be star quarterback or drum major, MSMS may not be the place for them. By the way, the tennis team just won District, the performance groups are headed to Bransonto perform at the Welk Theater.

Posted November 18, 2007

MSMS is a wonderful school for students willing to accept the challenges of dorm life and advanced classes. While we do have strict rules to follow, it is for the survival of the school. Students applying to MSMS should understand that they are held to a higher standard than at their home school. Another reviewer complains that his/her child was punished for what appear to be trivial offenses, but if all students were allowed to stay up past lights out, then another wouldn t be able to sleep; if everyone used cell phones in the academic building, classes would be disrupted. While MSMS has places where it can improve, understand that we get an education we could not have elsewhere in the state. I d also stress that you should not force a student to come here, he/she must make the decision or else he/she will not last at here.

Posted October 9, 2007

As parents you try to do what is best for your children - we thought the best thing was to take our daughter and enroll her in MSMS. This school is for students that excell but what they do not tell you is that the school is not Regionally Accredited. Our daughter graduated with honors in advanced classes - she applied for the Hope Scholarship and was denied only because this school was not accredited by an approve agency. The school trys to justify it by saying they are working on it - MSMS was founded on 1987...20 years ago. Beware, if your child goes to this school and leaves the state for college you could have issues with scholarships and funding regardless of how talented the child. It is really a shame that our daughter was denied after all her hard work because someone at MSMS dropped the ball.

Posted May 27, 2007

My daughter attended MSMS. In her two year tenure, school has evolved into a quasi-prison state, but the academics were exemplary and provided many students with extensive scholarship opportunities. Do not send your children here if they are inflexible or cannot manage the trials and tribulations of boarding school life. The rules are far too strict and need immediate reform. My daughter was punished for the most minor offenses, such as staying up past 1:00 am to study or using her cell phone in the academic building. The vast majority of extracurricular activities are poorly organized, as are other non-academic related areas, such as band, choir, sports, etc. The school sports a wonderful faculty.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1100 College St Muw 1627