Kossuth High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 16 students

Posted August 10, 2009

Kossuth High School is perhaps one of the last true American schools...the kind seen in movies...with a world gone crazy around them, this school in the middle of the Bible Belt balances God, country, family, and friends...with the cities of Tupelo to the south, Memphis to the west, Jackson to the north, and the Quad Cities the east and northeast, this community is as placid as it was when it was established... Michael B. Farris
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 14, 2008

We are blessed to have such a good school available to our children. The faculty and principal are exceptional and we've never had any problems. They really seem to care about the kids. I wouldn't want my child to be anywhere else!

Posted May 28, 2008

I have had three children graduate from Kossuth High School and one more that will be in the 10th grade the 08-09 school year. They loved going to school there and I really enjoyed sending them there. They have the best teachers and the principal is really great too. The whole faculty is awesome. I like that it is a smaller community school. Seems like there are more one on one with teachers and they do care about every child that they teach. I wish every child in Alcorn Co. could have the chance to attend Kossuth Schools. Go Aggies! Aggies are #1

Posted March 5, 2008

I have been going to Kossuth School since I was in Kindergarden. I am in 10th grade now and a lot has changed. We have better teaching methods, and more after school programs, and we also have tutoring for the students who are kind of behind. I love kossuth high school, because the teachers treat you with respect and courtesy, as you should treat them with the same.

Posted November 2, 2007

I have been going to Kossuth since the 4th Grade. Kossuth is a school that isn't bias against anyone. We have the most awesome teachers and a great involved Principal, Bo Seago. The booster club stays involved and all sports available are treated equally. We have great classes available and a great library. The Coaches at Kossuth all work together great and don't argue with each other like some schools. We are overall a great school. With great leaders on our side(Principal, Coaches, & Teachers), we are able to learn what we need to know plus more. Our leaders will help us succeed in life.

Posted October 12, 2007

the academic program is great my child learns a lot and the teachers are more than helpful kossuth high school is a great school for a child to go to if you want him/her to learn a lot. the sports are great our football team is very good as well as all of kossuths sports and the parents are involved in all the sports and activities but the only thing wrong with kossuth is the principal because he just wont let the kids have fun but kossuth high school is a great school overall

Posted September 13, 2007

My son graduated at KHS and I have a daughter in Middle School now. One of my biggest concerns is that anyone at anytime can walk into any door at that school. I feel that it is an open target. I do not think that Mr. Seago could handle a situation. Hopefully if Mr. Suggs is elected as Superintendent that he will be able to do something about this. Like doors that lock when closed. Teachers out in the hall to open the doors at break, change of class etc. We need more teachers to be looking out for our children. I am also shocked at the way that some of the teachers speak to the students today. (and vice versa) Still one of the best schools around this area. But feel that there should be someone hired for security. To police the area.

Posted August 18, 2006

I think Kossuth High School is a great place. Sure we've had some bad choices made but that's normal. I believe that the old principal had the schools interest at heart but he just couldn't make it work. Hopefully now that we have a new principal (Coach Seago) we will finally achieve our goal of academic and cultural excellence - Jarrod Hatton - Freshman

Posted September 21, 2005

There are many excellent teachers there. The atheletic department is wonderful also. Our girls softball teams compete for state championships year in and year out. The football and baseball programs are what bring the community of Kossuth together. If your kids need more than just an education, Kossuth is for them.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 18, 2005

I am a parent of two children attending school at Kossuth. My son is in 9th grade at KHS and my daughter is in 6th at KMS. The high school has it going on! Everybody works together for the common good of the students. The middle school on the other hand seem to have a constant battle with the administration. The principal says he wants the school to grow, but will only place more and more constraints on the students and teachers. I am, nevertheless, proud that my children have attended Kossuth. It is a great school supported 110% by the community. Keep up the good work and progress everyone!

Posted March 27, 2005

i have been a student at Kossuth High School since the third grade, and now i am a junior. Kossuth is a great school, not only are the teachers always there for us, they teach us more than what is in the books, they teach us about life. Also, the students are disiplined and respectful. I am a member of the band, where I twirl the flag, but I have played softball, basketball, danced, and track. All of our coaches and sponsors are excellent and they strive for us to be the best. I count the days until i am in the real world and use the skills that Kossuth has taught me in real life.

Posted February 4, 2005

I am a mother of three that attend Kossuth High and Middle Schools. I went to Kossuth for over 6 years myself. I am very proud that my children attend school here. There is nothing like the sense of belonging and family that you get from the staff and other parents and children here. My kids are involved in the athletic programs and they are treated fairly by their coaches. They have been taught well and shown respect. I am very proud of our schools and proud to be a aggie fan mom!

Posted November 7, 2004

I am a student at Kossuth High School and I have been going to Kossuth since 8th grade. I have lived in many places and gone to many schools, but Kossuth, to me, have had more life, more pep, and more everything than what I had in the past. I know that we have had 3 different principals since I moved here, and it really doesn't bother me, our principal trys hard to do what's best for our school. Kossuth isn't going downhill quickly, because our basketball program is increasing, our band is the 4 best in the state, and the cross country team, which i am apart of, are the state runner ups. Kossuth overall is trying hard to encourage young people to be more active, and become something great in the future, and that is exactly what i am doing. -Charlie Morrow-16

Posted October 29, 2004

I am a student and athlete at Kossuth High. This is my first year attending Kossuth and have found it to be a very good school . The teachers go out of there way to help students if they have trouble with something ,and it is loaded with extra activities , such as football, basketball, baseball, cross-country, and track.

Posted August 5, 2004

I was a student of Kossuth my entire life. Kossuth is a great school with great teachers that do more than they are paid to do. -Kristie Hudson
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 30, 2004

I am a dissatisfy parent of Kossuth middle school. I feel the teachers try hard to help but the principal and staff hold them back. I have been trying to find a better school then this one. If I was you I would not put your chid in this school all it cares about is A student and its reputation.

Posted June 11, 2004

I attend Kossuth High School. I have considered moving schools due to the new principal. He has done nothing good for this school or it's students. He spent over $12,000 on a video camera system that we never needed. This school is going to go nowhere but down due to his bad leadership.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

104 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 54%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

15 Cr 604