K-4 & Ungraded
Diberville, MS

Diberville Elementary School 3

Posted October 09, 2014
The school itself is ok. Some of the teachers don't have enough patience with the kids. They would rather yell and embrass the children than teach them right. If you have to yell out loud at a student because they are NOT learning fast enough, then you are in the wrong profession. The teacher should help to build up a child instead of trying to embrass them, which leads to bullying. I'am definitely not happy with this situation. My child comes home and says the teacher constantly yells at them and it's embrassing. I will be moving my child to another school.

Posted June 29, 2014
Wow. Apparently some parents don't believe in homework. I attended here as a child and my child attended here as well. Just found out about this site. I am pleased to see the amount of effort a child has to put in to achieve excellence hasn't gone down over the years. It's teaching on all levels, not just subjects. Hard work pays off. Not every child should get a ribbon just for trying. There is a reason this school is blue ribbon. Sincerely, a DHS Valedictorian.

Posted January 17, 2013
There is a disconnect in communication between parents & teachers. Email communication is non existent. When there is a problem that needs to be addressed immediately, you have to schedule a conference & it may be a week before you get to see them. When your child tests in the 99% of the nation in certain areas & the grades dont reflect it, the school should notice that red flag. We put our child in Sylvan tutoring & they didnt understand why she is not able to perform in the Diberville classroom setting. She is blowing their tests out of the water. Once we did get a meeting with her teacher, We found that the teacher was not equipped to handle disadvantaged kids with behavioral challenges and spends time doing a lot discipline and grouping of kids of color despite the obvious differences in aptitudes and behaviors. As my child put it about her teacher, I feel like she is yelling at all of us for something one or two kids are doing. She treats us like pigs and makes us stay in the classroom and work & lets the other kids go out & play. My child is not disadvantaged. Her teacher groups kids & they all suffer the fate of a few kids that need specialized classroom settings.

Diberville Elementary School 3

Posted November 14, 2012
I must agree with the Oct 18 2011 posting. The children receive way too much homework at this school. Last year I thought it was possibly the teacher.. but same thing this year. I think 30 minutes for homework is sufficient for a younger elementary student.. not 1-2 hrs. I am considering moving my child. I was impressed by the blue ribbon status, but am now wondering if the focus is on the testing instead of the child's overall education. The students do not have music class and although they attend art class once a week I have never seen artwork brought home. There are also no extracurricular activities or after school program(s) offered.

Posted November 05, 2011
My son's teacher is warm and caring. She's a great teacher and communicator. They push the kids on aademics but they have fun too. My son wants to go to school this year!

Posted October 16, 2011
The volume of homework brought home by these children is ridiculous! We spend on average one hour to an hour and a half. The exams are weighed heavily on their semester grades which puts an extreme amount of pressure on the child. It's becoming extremely difficult after 6 hours of school then to come home and do another hour and a half of school work is exhausting for the child. On top of all this the disciplinary aspect is working against the child, the child is told to pull a card if misbehaving and has no clue what its for! Until the child comes home and is questioned by the parent?? I've seen improvements in certain subject where I felt as if I was the teacher spending as much time on one subject as I have. I have had conferences with the teachers and it hasn't helped.. the overall rating is terrible.

Posted August 04, 2011
I dont know where the last parent got the information on the Blue Ribbon program. It is not based on the free lunch program.The Blue Ribbon Schools Program is a United States government program created in 1981 to honor schools which have achieved high levels of performance or significant improvements with emphasis on schools serving disadvantaged students. The program centers around a self-assessment conducted by the school followed by an establishment and implementation of an improvement plan.The Blue Ribbon award is considered the highest honor an American school can achieve. I have 3 children that attend the school. I agree that they could give more notice of some of the events, but it generally communicates well. They helped my child excel from an 18mth old level to 6 months below her peers in one year! These people need to understand that when they say bad things about the building that we are just 6 years out from Hurricane Katrina and still in recovery mode.The school allows as much parental involvement as it can, but still believes in structure.Most of the teachers live in the community. Having children in the school is a blessing not the curse that some make it sound like.

Posted July 20, 2011
The school itself, administration and policies leave much to be desired. While in a meeting with the principal to discuss my child's academic performance, she went from saying that my child must be ADD, sexually abused and possibly had seizures because "one time she saw her eyes moving back and forth rapidly." So you thought my child had a seizure a couple of weeks ago and you a) didn't call the nurse and b) didn't call me! Really?! My daughter might have had recess a total of 30 times during the entire year because they spend most of the time teaching what is on the state tests in order to get good scores. I believe that it is important for kids to get some fresh air on a regular basis. Yes, they have PE almost every day, but it's in the musty gym most of the time. Sure, they are a Blue Ribbon School (which is actually based partially on how many kids you have on free lunch) and have good test scores, but the school was more like a boot camp. Communication from the school was lacking. There weren't any family involvement activities at all like at my daughter's last school. We are paying tuition for my daughter to attend a school out of district now.

Diberville Elementary School 1

Posted January 06, 2011
Oh WOW a blue ribbon school! NOT! Just because they spend majority of the time only learning what is on the state testing does not mean it's a good school. A few reasons why I do not care for this school- I have had very poor communication from the staff. Teachers, principles, nurse, lunch staff ect. We as parents are very poorly informed on things going on in the school. We get last minute notice on almost everything. In the first month of school I was asked 5 times for money for the school and they even bribe the kids into asking people for five dollars to join the pta. They want them to ask people who have no interest in the school! What does the 5.00 get them? NOTHING. They don't even ask for contact info to invite the public who gave 5.00 to attend meetings. I have emailed the principle several times this year and not once have I gotten a response. I was yelled at by a first grade teacher when I asked why my daughter was allowed/made to read 8 A.R. books and take 8 tests in one day! This school needs to step it up with the communication and parent involvement!

Diberville Elementary School 1

Posted May 25, 2010
We move around the country a lot so we have had an opportunity to see many schools. This was on our list of worst schools ever. There are a few teachers that care but most of the staff are so concerned about discipline that they forget the whole purpose of being there. I want my kid to be excited about learning not told that he/she will get punishment if he/she doesn't do what the teacher wants. Really this school could be compared closer to a boot camp or prison. Maybe some kids need this form of schooling but my children definitely do not. My child came home after just one day of school and begged me not to make him/her go back. For this reason, I have decided to home school and so have many other parents in this area.

Diberville Elementary School
4540 Brodie Rd, Diberville, MS  39540
Last modified Diberville Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Diberville Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top