Florence High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 5 students

Posted May 26, 2014

My school is a wonderful place to be filled with exciting and ambitious students. I feel like my school can become better with its "Great School Rating" if we get just more "Great Students"

Posted May 11, 2014

I have gone to Florence 11 years now, and I am about to be a senior. I absolutely love this school and I would not want to go anywhere else. The administration and teachers get along with the students really well, but most people who insult our school don't understand it's not the school it's probably them. I know first hand the parents are a big part of the problem. There was a student who was told to do an assignment and when he refused to do it, he was given a 0. Shocked? You shouldn't be, he didn't do what he was supposed to, but his mommy came to the school and complained about it asking why her kid was failing. Long story short, the kid wound up with a 100. The parents like to complain when they shouldn't. And people complain about us going from a 5 to a 3. Here's the thing, it's graded on improvement. Well when you're at the very top, there's no where to go but down. We can't improve because we are already so high. I'm just saying understand what you're insulting before you sound ignorant. Overall Florence is awesome and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. Go Eagles!

Posted October 28, 2013

I am a former student (2005 grad). I am shocked it is rated an 8.... My reasons for one star rating: - Extreme disciplinary problems - No parent involvement - Teachers gossip and bully worse than students - I was so poorly prepared for college. I can count on two hands, including myself, the people that went to college and didn't have a child in high school. I can count even more that dropped out sophomore year. - I graduated with people, which I can still name to this day, that could not read! The school is the same because the superintendent (Google the Rankin County Superintendent), is related to EVERYBODY that works there.

Posted June 10, 2011

As a former student I must say Florence was one of my least favorite schools I have attended sure it has good things about it but acedemicly I found it poor there was no challenge when I transferred to another school I was extremely far behind the the other students the people tend to reject new students as outcasts the band program is very small and not known to keep a band director for longer than 1-2 years the athletics teams do not move into play-offs in my opinion this is just a school to get your child involved in extracurricular activities where they couldnt at larger schools.

Posted September 15, 2009

Like any other high school, there are drugs and peer presure, but comparing to the other schools my kids have been it, it is the best.

Posted September 8, 2009

I like this school. Sure, it has its problems, as does every school. The administration is caring and compasionate, as it should be. I actually think the principal is one of the best things about Florence High School. It is also hard to compare test scores from year to year since they keep changing the criteria for passing. They could use a new facility. The current school is old and small.

Posted October 3, 2006

Florence is a great school. The parents are very much involved. The band program is one of the best I've seen. Students seem to really love their school. I myself graduated from Florence and I really enjoy seeing my children enjoy their time as kids.

Posted January 31, 2006

Parents find it difficult to get behind a school when the administrator continually denies that problems exist, and seems incapable of correcting the problems himself. There are morale issues at Florence among the staff. It is impossible to teach students when you have a principal who does nothing to manage behavior of the student body. Teachers become frustrated when students are sent back to class with little or no consequences for their behavior. Until the county office does something to correct this situation and gives Florence High School the leadership it deserves, my advise is to send your child to another school.

Posted January 12, 2006

Parents that respond to this site really need to become part of the solution instead of the problem. Florence has been a level 3 school since the accountibility results were placed on the individual school instead of the district overall rating. Its true the district was rated a five but the scores at Florence have increased every year. Florence High School has many of the brightest students and teachers in the county. We rank in the top of the district in scholarship money earned by students and have had as many national merit finialist as any school our size. I think sometimes people need to get behind the school we pay our taxes for and support them instead of trying to find things wrong.

Posted August 5, 2005

Having had one child graduate from Florence High School a number of years ago, and a more recent graduate, I can tell you that the quality of this school has gone down considerably. This school has dropped from a level 5 to a level 3 under this administrator. In addition to the decline in academics and the athletic program, there are safety issues. There may be a disciplinary policy in place, but it is not followed and this has not been lost on the students. My advice: If you can afford it, send your high school student elsewhere until changes are made at the top level.

Posted May 3, 2005

This school was a level 5 school and has dropped to a level 3 school. This speaks volumes. Most of the teachers are not teaching the student. Then blaming the students for the low scores. The counsellors are only concerned with the students with the highest grade point average. The administation has no concern for the students well being. A lot of parents support their children in their indeavors but does not support the teachers or administation. If you want your child to be ready for college this school is not for you. It is too bad students have to go to certain schools because of where they live!

Posted December 27, 2004

As a former student of Florence High School, I must say, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD send your child to a private school. If your child is not the best in his or her academic skills (I graduated with honors), then he or she will receive horrible teachers throughout his or her high school years. The advanced teachers are wonderful and very helpful, but the administration does not discipline... before any of you send your children to this school, please E-mail me at AmandaFHS2oo5@aol.com. I know my screen name says 2005 on it; the reason for this is I ended up graduating a year early because the administration is so horrible. E-mail me if you ever want to send your children here, and I will tell you about my own personal testimony of the horrors of this school.

Posted September 12, 2004

I have a 10th grader at Florence High School. This is a wonderful school. The staff is wonderful to deal with. Also the administration continues to keep open communication with the parents, which in my opinion is very important if you have a high school student. I highly recommend this school to anyone that if trying to decide to move to Florence, MS. Denise Sanford

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

175 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

190 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

232 Hwy 469 North