K-5 & Ungraded
Flowood, MS

Posted August 26, 2013
My big man is absolutely thriving here. He was attending Highland Bluff when we first moved to Brandon, but I found them too large and overly obsessed with tests to the detriment of almost everything else (they were lucky to get recess in a given week, and if Scandinavian educational models are any indicator, exercise and recreation are as important as math and reading to a good student). My child's father took a job with RCSD and we were able to elect to send him to Flowood; best decision we ever made. There's considerably more racial and economic diversity (hard to come by in Brandon, admittedly), the school is smaller and more accessible, and the teachers really work with your child to help them succeed. My son had near constant disciplinary problems at the last school (because why not make them sit and pound the books for hours with no break to blow off steam? What could possibly go wrong?) and I was even strongly hinted to that I should seek an ADHD diagnosis and put him on medication. We come to Flowood and, aside from the odd spate of talking too much on his part? We've barely had an issue. Funny, that.

Posted July 22, 2010
School atmosphere is inviting. Teachers, students and other staff members are willing to help you. Children are well-behaved and are ready, respectful and responsible.

Posted August 22, 2008
My grandchild attended K-5 at this school and I was very please. She is reading, spelling,doing basic math. Ms Pennington did a great job with her and I feel should be recognized for such a job well done. If the other teacher are any thing like her, wow !!. I can deal with all the fundraising, because I felt they were all for a good cause, and I went all the way to make each one a success. The teacher were doing their part and I felt the need to do what I could and enjoyed it!!

Posted December 23, 2007
We have one child that finished K-5th at Flowood Elem. Our second child has attended since K and is currently in 3rd. Dr. McCool has been an excellent leader at the school. All of the teachers for each of our children has been motivational, committed to the children's growth and concerned with their progress in all areas, not just academic. We feel blessed to be a part of this school and support it fully. We, like some others, are not huge fans of fundraising, however, it has never been a hindrance to our children having what they needed. It would be nice if more money were allotted from the state, but it is also reality that this will not be happening. We love Flowood and pray for the staff there on a regular basis.

Posted December 22, 2007
I do not have a child who attended flowood ele. But i was a guest there recently. I brought our polar bear snowball to have photos with the kids everyone was wonderful! the children were all so happy and the teachers had them on a really good scheduale and were very good with the children...

Flowood Elementary School 4

Posted October 26, 2007
Although this is my daughter's second and last year at this school (she is in 5th grade), I had a pleasant experience with Flowood. My only drawback was that at the start of both school years, we were not given the opportunity to meet the teachers, set-up desks and just get acquainted with the administration and parents before the first day of school. So, my daughter had to log around two bags of stuff. Being an educator, I love it when we have our open-house the night before the first day of school. It gets everything out of the way and I get to meet parents and talk. I do love the teachers there and the administration seemed fine to me. There is a lot of fundraising, but you don't have to participate in everything and I haven't had any backlash from the school when I didn't.

Posted September 28, 2007
I can't believe that I am reading some of these negative comments. We are our 5th year and every year is better than the last!! My thoughts of the previous comments are that you typically hear from the few that want to complain. Very rarely to you hear from the satisfied parents. My suggestion to those that are unhappy with things is to get involved!! I am very involved with my kids education and social life. I know their teachers and the admin very well. I can't be more pleased.

Posted September 27, 2007
I am very disappointed to read the comments made about our school. I have two children at Flowood and I couldn't be happier. The children are getting a wonderful education experience. They will be well prepared for middle school. As for the administration, both Dr. McCool and Mr. Vance are at the school for the children. They work to make sure the children are getting the best education possible. Parents who complain about the amount of lunch time and what is served need to go to the Department of Education to complain. I'm glad my children go to such a wonderful school.

Posted September 27, 2007
I have been at Flowood for 3 years and have been very impressed with the teachers and administration. The children that attend Flowood are very prepared for Middle School. For the fundraising efforts, these funds help the teachers buy needed items for their classrooms. Teachers are the most underpaid profession, but have the greatest impact on our future leaders. Giving them the ability to buy more interactive materials is a small sacrifice for the benefit. I am proud my children attend Flowood.

Posted September 26, 2007
I have had two children in this school for years. All I can say is that I could not be more pleased. Both have gotten a quality education. I can't say enough about the teachers and the administration. My fifth grade daughter learned more things to prepare her for middle school than I can even begin to tell you. Her computer skills, life skills, and general subject area skills are wonderful thanks to Mrs. Brown,Mrs. Prestwood, and all of the previous teachers. The single gender classes gave my daughter the ability to strengthen her weaknesses and enhance her strong points. My other child has been given the same opportunities to develop way beyond the basics. I can't say enough about the teachers. Mr. Price continues to motivate my child. All I can say is that Flowood Elementary is far above the rest! Thanks to everyone there for all they have done!

102 Winner's Circle, Flowood, MS  39232
Last modified Flowood Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Flowood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top