9-12 & Ungraded|Public district
1,613 students|Rankin Co School Dist

Bad
Good

I salute the faculty and students of Northwest Rankin for the respect and compassion they have shown for Katelyn Simspon !!! I have spent a career that has allowed me to witness the very best and the very worst of mankind. Your allowing Katelyn to campaign for Homecoming Queen was absolutely righteous! And to the students who voted for her and helped her win ... I love you all !!! YOUR AMAZING !!!! You ALL can be proud of yourselves, proud of your school, and proud of your community. I salute you !!! SEMPER FIDELIS!!! SEMPER!!!!

NWRH is great about preparing the incoming freshmen, gettint them thinking ahead and knowing or figuring out what they want to attend college for and planning courses for that attainment!

I want to let everyone know that Northwest Rankin High School is an amazing school. Also that the band participates in every activity that it is welcomed to. Yes every other extra ciricular activity has to pay for their stuff. But that still leaves little room for other students to talk about the 'closed minded band' is absolutly wrong. If people were to respect the band they would recieve more. The band is there for one purose and that is to entertain not to please the student section. And you can be in the band and be top notch for the past 2 years the band has 1 or more ladies on the homecoming court. I as a band member can say that we recieve no respect or appreciation from the student body. The acedemics are great but support for the band is poor.

My step son is now in the 9th grade at this school and in the band. I have read the reviews about the PAST experiences with being at this school and extracurricular activities and fund raising. Well a new day is dawning and several business's in the Flowood / Reservoir area are stepping up to the plate to support the school and extracurricular activities such as band, dance team, cheerleading, sports, show choir, etc. So get on board or get out of the way. You can see the glass as half empty or half full. From here on out it is getting more full every day!

i recently graduated from northwest. Pertaining to the band: First of all, ALL extra curricular activities have to raise their own money. I personally know that cheerleaders and dance team have to do A LOT of fundraising to get money for camp, outfits, and competitions and STILL pay a lot for it. I also know from personal experience a lot of the band itself is very close minded and doesn't realize that they are a part of northwest and not just their own band thats there to bring home awards. They need to be more open to suggestions and feedback and maybe they would get more support. As for the members themself.. they seem to enjoy what they are doing a lot and seem very proud; so, yes, the northwest IS a good place if you enjoy being in hte band. not if you enjoy being the 'top notch' at northwest

If a student takes full advantage of hte opportunities at Northwest they will be WELL prepared for college life. I recently graduated from Northwest and wish I would have participated in more extra curriculars there. We had great extra curricular turn out the year i graduated: cheerleader state champs, dance team state champs, soccer state champs.. i think there was one more. The student body is by far the best in the state and most supportive. I believe the school's success is a mixture of faculty and student involvement and relationships.

We have graduated 3 kids from NWR. All 3 played in the band, one was all state for 3 years. All 3 were in the upper 20's and low 30's in ACT. Two have gone on to get their college degree with the 3rd in college now and doing well. And the oldest has a masters and now teaches at NWR. As to those who say don't go to NWR if you want to play in the band because you have to spend of a lot money on band; unfortunatley that is the norm in any public school in Mississippi rather than the exception. We had at least one kid in the band for 12 years and my wife was treasurer of the band boosters for 7 years; so we know of which we speak. The bottom line is that it is easy to find things wrong. Look for the good.

I graduated from NWR four years ago, and I just graduated from college with honors. I can easily say Northwest prepared me well for college. I took mostly honors/advanced/AP classes my junior and senior years and that's probably why I was so prepared. Having been challenged academically in those classes, I was given the luxury to breeze through many of my college courses. I helped my college classmates who had graduated from supposedly superior schools such as Prep and JA. I believe Northwest has a lot to offer as a school, but it is up to the student to reap the benefits.

I am responding to the concern that NWR lacks support for the band but gives financial support to other sports, cheerleading and dance team. My daughter cheered for NWR for 6 years and my son played football, baseball, and soccer. Please know that no sport receives significant financial assistance from the school. As a state funded institution, there is just not enough money to fund the extracurricular sports. The cheerleading and dance team had fund raisers in order to participate in competitions. We bought our own uniforms and provided our own transportation to games. The baseball, football and soccer team also has fundraisers to support their teams and the booster clubs provide much needed financial support. The band is not being 'left out'; all activities suffer from lack of funding. The band does a great job and they fortunate to have concessions. We are all in this together.

On the surface, the campus...extracurricular activities...NWRHS is great. But, when it comes to substantive classroom instruction, I'm concerned. I don't think my child is being prepared to compete, academically. I received my secondary education in a smaller, much poorer district in the delta in the 1970s. When I got to college, I was WELL prepared. When I ask my son about topics I feel should be in the common body of knowledge for today's high school student, the response I usually get is, 'They haven't taught us that.' I've reviewed his notes. He takes VERY detailed notes. The subject matter covered usually lacks depth. Or, if the subject runs counter to the teacher's personal philosophy, it isn't covered at all...no matter how relevant it is to the world outside NWRHS. I want my son prepared for college, graduate school and life. But I don't think NWRHS is up to the task.

Last modified Northwest Rankin High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.