No rating

Anniston Avenue Elementary School

Public | K-5 & ungraded

Posted April 23, 2014

My children have gone to Anniston since kindergarten. We recently moved due to a military transfer and leaving anniston was the hardest about the entire move. Mrs. Jackson was my daughters kindergarten teacher in 2009 and mrs. Bloom was my sons kindergarten teacher this year and they both have paved a very concrete educational road for my children. Parent involvement is a must at this school! They promote is and I can say that I'm very happy for that. It keeps me in the loop and if I have any questions I can text or email my children's teachers! Dr. Payne is the most involved principle I've ever seen! I love and adore her! She knows every single child's name and is always walking around checking on the teachers and students. I would recommend this school to anyone! The entire staff is amazing.

Posted May 9, 2013

Where do I begin? I transfered my kids into this school and I could not be happier...WOW!! Anniston has the absolute BEST teachers who are patient and caring. My children couldnt be happier. Gulfport School District really pushes these children but are also there to help them any way they can along the way. We are a Gulfport School District family FOREVER!!! Thank you AAE.

Posted April 11, 2013

Anniston Elementary is a great school with a dedicated staff that really cares about the students. I appreciate the extra mile that the staff puts in to support the students. I work in the finance department and we do everything we can to support the staff so that students can be successful. Gulfport Schools works to ensure that all resources are utilized effectively and efficiently to provide a quality education for every student.

Posted April 11, 2013

Anniston Avenue Elementary School display a positive attitudes towards the faculty as well as the students!

Posted April 11, 2013

At Anniston Avenue Elementary we have the best prinicipal in the Gulfport School District and our students are very well disciplined!

Posted April 11, 2013

Anniston Elementary has a very caring staff, they are very interested in there students achieving there best and incorporate other activities so that the learning process does not bore the students!

Posted April 11, 2013

At Anniston Avenue Elementary School we get along well! Everyone at this school is friendly, and well respected!

Posted April 11, 2013

Working with Anniston Avenue Elementary School employees as being a great experience. Being here 5 years and counting I have never had any complaints or complained on anyone!

Posted April 11, 2013

This school strives to reach excellent academic performance daily. They do their best to make every decision based on what is best for every child. The school is child friendly both in design and staff. The principal knows most students by name and greets them in them in the hall. It has an enviornment that is open to not only encouraging learning but also character and personal growth.

Posted April 11, 2013

Outstanding staff striving for the best of every student in every grade. Initially some "growing pains" while introducing the Common Core Curriculum but already see a difference in my son's approach to academics. 5-STAR's for sure!

Posted April 11, 2013

This school is a school dedicated and known for giving our students and parents a top notch elementary school learning experience! Our school's staff members, administrators and support faculty are dedicated to meeting the needs of each student, and making sure our parents are engaged in their child's learning process. Anniston Avenue Elementary School is an amazing school! We are setting trends, developing leadership qualities in ALL students, meeting the individual needs of our students, and having a blast doing it!

Posted April 11, 2013

Anniston Elementary is an amazing school, and I am thrilled to know that my three children are receiving the best possible education. They have been attending Anniston since kindergarten, and I am confident that they will all be thoroughly prepared for what lies ahead at the middle and high school level. The staff and administration are absolutely wonderful! They are all very supportive and more than happy to provide each one of my children with the love and guidance they need to grow into responsible, well-rounded individuals. Their doors are always open, and I always feel like a welcome part of the Anniston community. My family and I feel extremely fortunate to call ourselves members of such a close-knit community of educators.

Posted April 11, 2013

Anniston and the Gulfport School District have been very good to my 1st grader. We have wonderful teachers and a dedicated and involved principal. In addition, I don't know of any other elementary schools on the Coast with such a broad rang of extracurricular activities.

Posted April 11, 2013

I really considered sending my children to a private school, but when I saw the prices, I looked for other options. I started researching level 5 schools, and came across Anniston. I am so happy with my decision to bring my boys to AAE! I have one in kindergarten and one in first grade, and I am so pleased. I love the attention they give them. They push them to be the best!

Posted April 11, 2013

Easy parent-teacher/staff communication. Parents encouraged to become involved in their childrens' education. Wonderful motivational reinforcements encourage students to work their hardest. Quest program is outstanding! Family-like atmosphere. I love the focus on becoming leaders!

Posted April 11, 2013

Anniston Elem is a great school. Located in a large neighborhood, many children are able to walk or bike to school safely-can't say that about too many schools anymore. The children at Anniston feel important and respected and in turn learn to treat others the same. Teachers are attentive and willing to go the extra mile to make sure all students learn and understand the lessons. The gifted program is wonderful and the office staff is always very helpful. Fun reward activities for grades and reading keep students striving to do their best.

Posted April 11, 2013

I am so pleased with the educational foundation my grandchild is receiving at AAE. This is his second year attending school there and I could not have made a better choice of school. My child is pushed academically and I receive daily communications. The staff is warm and friendly and there is no limit to parents involvement either. I feel he is getting a solid foundation and will continue to sore. I highly recommend this school!

Posted April 11, 2013

This school has an incredibly dedicated faculty. My daughters have both attended from Kindergarten to Fifth grade. I have nothing but positive things to say about the entire schools from adminstrators to teachers. The arts are included daily, Quest classes are offered for gifted students, and accomodations are made for special students without missing a beat. Everyone goes above and beyond the call of duty on a regular basis. I had no idea that teachers worked as many long hours as they do. I'm blessed to have had such wonderful people educating my children.

Posted April 11, 2013

Anniston Elementary is a wonderful school in which all teachers are dedicated and strive for excellence for all students. Teachers and administrators continuously search for new strategies and attend workshops to further enhance teaching techniques. The staff goes above and beyond for the students and the students recognize the respect and compassion teachers have for them, thus leading them to work hard and reach academic and social goals.

Posted April 10, 2013

I am a district teacher and my daughter attends AAE as a 1st grader this year. As district staff we can choose which school we would like our kids to attend, and for us there was no better choice than AAE! They have some of the best staff and administrators in the district. I have only had the pleasure of really getting to know Ms. Kovacevich, Mrs. Liberato, and Ms. Shaw so far, and they are fantastic teachers! If you are looking for a great school, choose Anniston:)

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

89 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 67%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now