Gulfport High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 23 students

Posted May 9, 2013

Gulfport High School is dedicated to raising the standards of education, not only within the state, but on par with the greatest schools in the Nation! I've never considered myself an academic, in fact, I couldn't stand High Shcool! It was boring and I felt the education I was receiving was completely irrelevant and I'd never use it in real life; GHS's transition to Career Academies intends to change that! The Academic Institutes of Gulfport will utilize Project Based Learning and a cohort team of Academic and Technical instructors to provide a relevant education that aligns with a student's chosen career pathway. Furthermore, working with industry partners, our students will have multiple opportunities to receive hands on, real world career experiences to assist them making informed decisions about their future academic and career options. I couldn't be more excited to be apart of this educational experience and I'm confident most kids will leave GHS better prepared for life; academically, technically, socially, personally and professionally. We are going to revolutionize education in MS!

Posted May 8, 2013

Gulfport High School - 100 years (1913-2013) of continous Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Accreditation.

Posted April 12, 2013

The students and teachers are always cheerful and I enjoy working with them. Each day is a new challenge when I work here.

Posted April 12, 2013

Gulfport High School is strong in all areas: academics, the arts, and athletics. 53% of the 1,430 student body participates in one or more sports. Both of my children had great experiences at GHS.

Posted April 12, 2013

The Gulfport School District has a dedicated staff of teachers, counselors, administrators, and support staff who really care about the students, and are constantly striving to offer the greatest possible learning environment to ensure the kids have the best opportunity to succeed, in school and life.

Posted April 12, 2013

Atmosphere is enjoyable. Co-workers are great to work with as a team. We help each other when needed.

Posted April 12, 2013

I like Gulfport High School. I like the environment here. I like working for GHS.

Posted April 12, 2013

I like my cafeteria manager. She is a very nice person. I am a proud member of the staff here at Gulfport High.

Posted April 12, 2013

I like my cafeteria manager and I like progress we are having here with the kids. I like the way the cafeteria is organized. I think my manager manager is very well orgnaized.

Posted April 12, 2013

GHS is a wonderful environment for students. They get a strong academic base and have many choices in award winning arts, athletics, clubs, and music. My child is happy, engaged and is making good grades. I know GHS is making her a better mor well rounded person with a bright future.

Posted April 11, 2013

Our Junior Varsity Baseball team is absolutely awesome this year. The team plays together well.

Posted April 11, 2013

I'M THANKFUL I HAVE A JOB, I LIKE THE AGE GROUP I SERVE AT GHS.

Posted April 11, 2013

Gulfport High School offers something for all of our students. We have great advanced placement courses as well as great music, arts, and theater courses. We offer a wide variety of clubs and activities so each student can feel they are a part of the school. I know the teachers care about the students, school, and communtiy!

Posted April 11, 2013

THE FOOD AT GHS HAS A GREAT NUTRITIONAL VALUE SOMETHING THATS GOOD FOR THE STUDENTS LATER ON IN LIFE.

Posted April 11, 2013

As a graduate and current employee of Gulfport High School, I could not be more proud of the direction in which we are going. Our new Academy model will make learning relevant because students will be solving real world problems in an area in which they are interested. We are pushing our students to push themselves and they are achieving. We are not only making sure that they walk across the stage but that they know what they will do in the years that follow graduation. GHS is a great place to be!

Posted April 11, 2013

Gulfport High School is one of the best high schools in the state! Gulfport High offers a variety of opportunities for students to excel and be a part of school activities that spark their interest. There are over 30 clubs for students to choose from, and each club represents the different talents and interest our students bring to the table.One of the active clubs on campus is the Key Club. The Key Club at Gulfport High is one of the most active Key Clubs in the state. The Key Club members have logged in over 1200 community service hours. Every student has a place at Gulfport High. The students are sincere and genuine, always welcoming new students and helping them find their niche. Academically, Gulfport High prepares students for college by challenging them on a college prepartory level. The senior class of 2012 raised over ten million dollars in scholarships. Gulfport High is a great school and I am proud to be an employee.

Posted April 11, 2013

My son graduated from GHS and is now very successful. I attribute his success in great part to the challenges he encountered from his very clever and inventive teachers at GHS. Being a gifted student, he often felt that he was "the repository of all knowledge that there was to be had." The teachers and administration at GHS were wise enough to allow him the latitude to push the envelope far enough that he was able to spread his wings, but not far enough to let him fall. Thank you GHS!!!

Posted April 11, 2013

Gulfport High School has a long history of excellence both in the classroom, on the ballfield, and with our extracurricular programs. Our ROTC program has won many national awards. Our students are prepared for college and the work force by a rigorous curriculum and highly qualified teachers. Gulfport High offers advanced programs, classes in art, theater and music with a wide selection of extracurricular activities that will provide students with a variety of learning experiences. Gulfport High has great leadership with a caring faculty.

Posted April 11, 2013

Gulfport High School is the best high school in Mississippi! The teachers, administrators, and coaches really go above and beyond in working with the students of Gulfport. Thier level of concern for the education and well being of the student is top notch. I have two students who attend GHS and they have so many opportunities in the area of sports, arts, music, and clubs that they would not have at most schools in MS. At the same time they are receiving a strong academic education that will fully prepare them for college. The Common Core Curriculum has stepped up the learning rigor at GHS which will improve their success not just in college but in the real world. Their academy model also has made learning more relevant to my students' interest. My children love coming home and telling me about their day and how much they learn. To hear their level of excitment about learning and how they are pushed to higher standards is truly amazing. I could not be more proud of the direction GHS is going and taking my children. Thank you Gulfport High School. Go Admirals!!

Posted April 10, 2013

GHS is a wonderful school that has devoted, professional teachers that encourage each student to perform to their greatest ability.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

395 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 65%N/A71%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Bayou View Middle School
Cental Middle School
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Preps Value Award for outstanding gains in Student Achievement 2005-2008 (2008)
  • Siemens Math and Science AP Award (Top School in state) (2007)
  • Gates Millenium Scholars Program (2005)

Arts & music

Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Fax number
  • (228) 896-8281

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Ghs has an open door policy for parents. they are involved in pta, strategic planning, clubs, and extra-curricula activities

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Bayou View Middle School