Bel Aire Elementary School

Public | K-6 & ungraded | 735 students

Posted April 8, 2014

My child has been going to this school for over 7 months and she is learning alot more than she has in any other school. i love this school the teachers and staff are really sweet. has far as rating them i dont think i could stay between 0-10 bc they would be rated a much higher number bc of all the hard work they go thru trying to make these kids learn all the basic and physical stuff they need for the future.i would not trade this school for the world because they are so excellent i would recommend any parent to put there child in this school. This is where all the rest of my kids will attend when they get of age....i would like to see this school win the 5,000 dollars and see it go to new library books and whatever else they need to keep teaching our kids

Posted January 14, 2013

I would never allow my child to attend this school again. I do not appreciate the way the children are treated. An earlier post compared it to a prison. I would have to agree. My daughter cried every day. I watched my child go from loving school and excited to wake up every morning to becoming miserable and fighting to go to school everyday. I disenrolled her and moved. She is much happier and back to loving school again.

Posted May 29, 2012

Teachers have bad attitudes. There is no fairness. Teachers cant manage classrooms and teach various levels to fit the classroom.

Posted July 15, 2011

My son was in the first grade this past school year and I can honestly say, that he had done an excellent job. He loved his first grade teacher, enjoyed his recess time and just loved going to school. It may be due to the school having a new principal, but all I know, is that the school has done an excellent job with him and I hope it will stay the same as he attends the second grade =)

Posted July 1, 2009

I gave the school a below average rating because while the kids are learning alot, the place is run like a prison. The principal acts like she wants parents there, but she does everything to discourage it. Communication is really poor. We were always getting notices on the day of for meetings and activities. My child didn't have recess last year at all. And she was in 3rd grade. That is just ridiculous. I was standing in the hall one day waiting for my child, and I saw a teacher tell a student she was going to write him up because he was not in the third block. This place is like a jail, and I hope to break my child free next year.

Posted January 6, 2009

My child has gone to Bel Aire for 3 years and this year is by far the worst. She is in third grade and has had three teachers this year alone and not because I move her to different classes. Apparently the teachers keep being shuffled around to different grades. But, I feel like that certainly hinders my child's learning ability because all teachers have different teaching techniques. Her grades have gotten much worse and I always ask what I can do to help my daughter and the teacher responds by saying that all the children in her class are having trouble in that particular subject. It's just frustrating really! Anyway, I love the staff but I just want my child to be as well educated as possible and I don't think that's going to happen at this school.

Posted October 26, 2008

I am so disappointed with this school this year. I am frustrated with the lack of any fun at school. I am tired of my child being so grumpy and irritable when she gets home because of how stressed out everyone seems to be at that school. I wish I could put her somewhere else, but that is not feasible right now.

Posted July 22, 2008

My step-son attended Bel Aire this year because it is our district school. The staff and his teacher were always friendly, but I was very dissappointed to learn that they have no music or art classes. I was also appalled when my son reported that they only get recess sometimes on Fridays and they go to PE just as much, where all they did was run or play kickball. I'm sure that they did more than this, but it was not much more. How do they expect children to behave when they give no time for them to run off energy. I am upset because our nation is struggling with lazy, overweight children and statistics show that Mississippi has the highest overweight population. Whats up with this lack of concern? From reading about other local schools it seems this is common. I am sad that our kids are not allowed exercise.

Posted April 28, 2008

It has been a strange year at bel-aire, my daughter is doing worse than before she went from being a A-B student to an C-D student in 2-weeks!, she has not had a great school day yet! their security lacks everything. you totaly need to be in their faces. the staff is very nice but the students lack control.

Posted December 13, 2007

Bel Aire is like a different place this year. The new principal has gotten things under control this year. Kids don't get enought play time though. The kids don't get to go to recess anymore. I think the teachers are harder this year, but that is a good thing

Posted September 25, 2007

I'm not at all impress with this school at all.It needs a lot improvement from the front staff to the over all activities. We went to open house and I was very disappointed that the teacher was not sure how my child was doing because my child doesn't ask ant questions,wow. I'm hoping the new principal this year will turn things around if not I will take my child out of school even if I have to move.

Posted September 24, 2007

I am very disappointed with Bel Aire. The teacher does not respond to my notes and is not consistent with the assignments. The only feedback she sent home was negative.

Posted January 2, 2007

My daughter has autism and has been attending Bel Aire for 2 years now. The autism class is wonderful and my child has learned more in the past two years than I ever thought she would! The staff at Bel Aire is wonderful too. Everyone treats my child perfectly and they all do really care about the children. I recommend Bel Aire to anyone at all.

Posted June 2, 2006

My kids have attended Bel Aire for 4 years. I am upset to see some really good teachers get a bad rap in reviews. Those teachers deal with some serious issues. Being in the classroom is like being in group therapy. So there are lots of behavioral issues. My son has had a couple of exceptional teachers. Mrs. Gegenhimer was our fave. She was teaching kindergarten and is moving to third grade. Our daughter will be in her class next year. I hope my son will get to be in Mrs. Albritton's class. She is great too. Just be really active, and your child will do fine here.

Posted April 19, 2006

The school focuses to much on discipline, the discipline that the teachers enforce take over the entire focus of the class.Yelling, screaming from the teacher's all the time and the children were not aloud to talk during lunch time everyday. The children that are behaving and being good are punished for the bad children in the class. We had a teacher who everyday punished the entire group for no recess rather then just the children that were misbehaving. Its completely unfair for the children that are being good and respectful. Our daughter would come home crying everyday not wanting to return to school at Bel-Aire. She is a straight A student honor roll and has been for 7 years.Our daughter was there for three years and it was a horrible experience. Again way to much emphasis on the discipline in the entire school.Teachers are horrible!

Posted April 5, 2005

It saddens me to say that the quality of teaching in my children's classes are lacking compotence and structural learning. Either the teachers are not well equipped in their profession for effective learning or there is no concern to become an effective teacher in the profession. Perhaps, it's just a job... Is my impression of such attitude. In that case, children should not fall prey to this injustice. Open and willing communication with parents to assist learning, and not pettiness in every ordeal in behavoir would be one good step. Hopefully, sooner or later, the teachers would not become so easily offened, just because there are concern parents versus nonconcern parents.

Posted December 5, 2004

My child has gone to a total of three schools in the state of Mississippi. All I can say is Bel-Aire is the BEST.The staff is GREAT. I can visit my sons classroom anytime I want,and believe me I do. I believe my son is learing more at this school than any other he has been enrolled in.I hope I can say a teachers name so here it goes. Mrs Taylor (1st grade) you are doing a great job.

Posted June 28, 2004

I have gone to all the trouble to out of district my children to this school and it has been well worth the extra effort and commute everyday so that my children can go to this school. The teachers have been great to work with and they have a very active PTA.

Posted June 22, 2004

My child has attended this school for two years and I have been very disappointed. There is very poor communication between the school and home. The social environment is very poor because of excessive behavioral problems in the classroom. Most of the time in class is spent in behavior control. Both teachers he has had in the past two years are obviously under a great deal of stress and are not very open to parental involvement and my child has not gotten a lot of enjoyment out of learning. The teachers also do not offer various teaching techniques. The principal is not heavily involved, although the vice principal is very acessible, well-liked by the students, and very personable. There is also not arts or music programs and the gym classes are not structured.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

96 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 86%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10531 Klein Rd