Harrison Central High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1514 students

Posted April 21, 2014

This school is one of the very worst I have seen. I have traveled the country and attended many different schools, due to my parents being in the military, and this school is the worst. The students are almost encouraged to act like little morons, just so the staff can get a laugh. And the teachers themselves are held accountable only for themselves and not the quality of education put out within the class room. The discipline of the staff and student body is ridiculous. I came to harrison central in my 9th grade year and was thrown into an education system that was on par with my 6th grade school. Advanced classes that are offered are a joke and the scholarship parternships with local colleges and universities are non existent. The board members are simply useless as there is never a change year in and year out to anything, look at the test scores (90% of students in 2010 were proficient in Algebra 1 compared to a ridiculous 68% in 2013), this by itself should be cause for teachers and board members to get the axe, but here we are with the same pathetic staff that we had last year. How did the school split in two and still have an above 20 student per teacher ratio?

Posted November 15, 2013

This is a wonderful school. The students are for the most part well-behaved, and the teachers are well-prepared. Mr. Bush is an awesome principal. His hands on approach with the students is highly effective. The counselors in the Guidance Department are both knowledgeable and dedicated. Students are given pertinent educational planning information in a timely fashion. The teaching staff, like all public school teaching staff, are pulled in many directions. Harrison Central's teachers definitely put in the time. Harrison Central High School is a highly innovative school where student needs come first. This school is on the cusp of greatness.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 3, 2009

I happen to be a new lil freshman at Harrison Central High School. We added 9th grade this year, you guys should know. The new principal, Dr. Toriano Holloway, is undoubtedly top of the line. The teachers are expected from, and they keep high expectations for their students. Sometimes the discipline seems ridiculous, however they are trying to weed out the students who don't apply themselves and act their age. Janitors are always on the go, and it is rather clean. So with tidiness on lock, discipline in a hold, and education being pushed, Dr. Holloway's slogan- 'A New ERA at HCHS: Expectations, Results, Accountability'- is very proper.

Posted August 2, 2009

I am a recent graduate of Harrison Central High School (c/o 2009) and I will be attending Millsaps College soon! I really enjoyed my experience there! The teachers I had definitely cared about my education and most of them showed great interest in seeing each student progress and become successful. This school has almost every extracurricular activity you can imagine and it is easy for any student to become involved. I was a member of 13 clubs/orgainzations... I did not have a car but I found a way to make the meetings and still keep my grades up. I know for a fact that at least 9 students graduated with a QPA over 4.0 and there were 55 students considered high honors at graduation (GPA >3.5). HCHS graduated 523 students this year and most of them have plans of attending college or a trade school.

Posted January 18, 2008

Most people think it is the teachers full responsiblity to educate their children, it is a shared responsibility along with the parent. You have to stay involved and communicate with their teachers. I will soon have my 3rd child graduate from HCHS with high honors. They are well rounded, respected young adults. As parents we made education a priority all through the school years, not just the elementary years. I am proud of them, they have worked hard for their accomplishments. Another key word, work, it takes work from the student, parents and teachers!

Posted January 13, 2006

I attended HCHS until 1996. In looking back this school badly failed most students that i attended with, an earlier comment about graduating more students than other coast schools, graduates don't count if they can't read and i know of at least 4 persons who 'graduated HCHS' my senior year who were illiterate. After viewing the HCHS website i saw that many of the same horrible teachers are still there. That taught me and it is a crying shame. Peter Welsh

Posted January 10, 2006

My personal dealings with HCHS are ones of good and bad reports. It would be a mistake to say that it is an overall low quality school. Like all things there are things that can be improved. Some teachers can be more helpful I believe, but I am thankful for the the teachers who helped me make it all three years i was there. It all boils down to the student their attitudes towards school. Let us not forget this is a High School not a Daycare. Some teachers and administrators are more cocern with discipline the acadimic advancements.

Posted August 5, 2005

From my personal experience at HCHS, I hated it. Students were too judgemental, teachers were too harsh, and my counselor encouraged me to drop out of high school to get my GED. The same thing happened to one of my siblings. I think if the principal of HCHS and Henry Arledge would get together and get rid of the bad apples they have in thier staff tree, HC would be a much better school.

Posted February 19, 2005

I went to HCHS class of 2003, i liked the school very much. But there was a few teachers they need to lose. Our overall averages may not be high, but our students have more common sense than most of the students from other schools. This school is the best on the coast.

Posted February 6, 2005

As a Harrison Central Alumni, I am proud of the quality education I recieved there. The teachers are varied. The comments about children not caring about education are astounding. This is not true. Harrison Central manages to graduate more seniors than any other coast high school every year, this including schools with higher attendance.

Posted October 13, 2004

This school os okay. It could be better if the kids knew how to act mature. I thought maybe in high school you will act your age, and learn that education is the key.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

359 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

283 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

347 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

359 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

324 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

15600 School Rd