K-6 & Ungraded
Gulfport, MS

Posted April 29, 2014
One post states several teachers have transferred. This is not correct. Several teachers have left but they have resigned or walked out due to administration mismanagement. There is a lack of transparency and very poor communication between administration and staff, and the administration lies to cover this up. Behavior problems are not addressed, and bullies run the school. One student walked out of class and down HWY. 49. This school has a toxic environment. Stay as far away as you can.

Lyman Elementary School 4

Posted March 21, 2014
This school has had a complete overhaul of the administration and several of the teachers have transferred or found other jobs. The office staff is now very helpful. Communication is getting better and the quality of teaching has improved. I am eager to see what else is on the horizon for this school - the culture is changed drastically from last year.

Posted August 21, 2013
This school is absolutely horrible. My son went here for kindergarten and first grade. The teachers are rude. My son was on a daily basis yelled at from his teacher. I do not allow yelling in my home, there is no way I am going to put up with a teacher yelling at him for not walking correctly in the hallway!!!! There is NO recess available. Do they not understand that kids this age need to get outside and run off steam? Oh and he was sent home a written notice for "excessive running" in PE!!!! Last time I checked that PE was for exercise, but unfortunately there PE consists of watching movies. Whatever you do, DO NOT send your children to Lyman Elementary!

Posted July 22, 2013
Lyman definitely has problem from the time you enter the office. The main office lady is rude/, never smiles, and assumes your child is a problem. The teachers are decent, but perhaps some standards should be there for dress code, appropriateness of conversation, and how to teach such a poor socio-economic school; character is seriously devoid and the principal is opposite of help. I thought the new assistant principal is a good choice if she can override the current principal. In addition, the children consistently lose recess because of other children and PE time is a joke. If you have a discipline problem at school perhaps allowing the children 'active' PE time (not movies) will facilitate focus. After traveling the country and experience to schools from the West to the East Coast, and now the South. Lyman Elementary is the worst school ever!

Posted January 14, 2013
I am absolutely appauled as a parent. This school should seriously be shut down. The Office staff is rude. Most (not all) of the teachers have no idea how to treat children nor nurture them. I have no idea how this school is still operating.

Posted October 09, 2012
This school is a joke. The people that work the office are rude, the teachers could careless about your childs education.. This school needs to be shut down!!!

Lyman Elementary School 4

Posted July 23, 2011
I am shocked at the comments about this school. The vast majority of the teachers and staff are very dedicated and competent professionals who give of themselves beyond what is required. For those of you who have encountered problems with a teacher or staff member, remember that one person does not and should not condemn the entire faculty of a school.

Posted May 03, 2011
This schools motto should be 'SWEEP IT UNDER THE RUG'' weve had to take problems to a higher authority because the vice principal will just blow off any problems no matter how serious. The office staff seems to hate everyone. Teachers share way to much personal info with students. Staff turns their head when racial issues are presented. Bullying is not stopped by staff when they see it. There appears to be no dress code and no code of conduct for students or staff. Poor teacher quality, poor staff quality. Unprofessional janitorial staff allowed to yell at and belittle kids for walking on the freshly mopped hall way floors. Where else are they supposed to walk? This school is in need of a serious over haul. My kids have been transfered to a better district where they are treated like people, not livestock. I will never put my kids back in Lyman elem.

Posted March 03, 2011
Nearing the end of our 2nd & final year at Lyman. Previously I had no problems with this school now the problems are plentiful. The staff has proven to be 3rd rate. The office staff has a 'you dont matter' attitude toward all. The teachers are rude, unprofessional & unmotivated. A new teacher insist on showing students her tattoos, she tells them all about her personal life-highly inappropriate, her tattoos & personal life have nothing to do with teaching. My child has told me about teachers ganging up on students, singling them out & alienating them from the class. Only when my other childs ADHD meds stop working does their teacher call me repeatedly to tell me to do something about it, then she says its MY CHOICE for my child to be on meds. If it were my choice my child wouldnt have a disibility. Having ADHD & the treatment of ADHD are not a CHOICE. AVOID THIS SCHOOL LIKE THE PLAGUE it will infect your children, your home, you & your relationship with your spouse.

Lyman Elementary School 2

Posted December 14, 2010
I did not like this school. My child went to this school for two 9-weeks. I pulled my child from this school. The teachers were rude. I never felt welcomed at this school. My child is now enrolled in a school without any problems. I'm in shock with the difference a new school has made on our family. My child now likes to go to school versus crying everyday to stay home. I will never send my child back to this school!

Lyman Elementary School
14222 Old Hwy 49, Gulfport, MS  39503
Last modified Lyman Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lyman Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top