Oak Grove High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 18 students

Posted January 4, 2011

Oak Grove High School is not at all what it seems to be. I am a freshman at the school, it is the worst experience of high school. The school is over crowded, the class rooms are over crowded... even all four lunch periods. There are too many fights. The only good thing about the school is the staff and teachers, but the students are heinous, I have attened the school since kindergarden, and I still have problems with the people. I doubt I will see myself graduate from the so called Oak Grove High School.

Posted December 27, 2010

Oak Grove is the the BEST IN THE SOUTH. Obviously there are better schools out there but in this area there is none better. Diversity reigns. I had friends from all backgrounds and walks of life. In one class there were Buddhists, Catholics, Mormons, Atheists, Protestants, Muslim, blacks, whites, asians, and other. Talk about a great experience. I attended Oak Grove K-12 and made new friends every year. I am so proud of my alma mater.

Posted June 30, 2010

I went to oak grove the first semester of my senior year cause my family was stationed there because of the military. If you werent in the school district since elementary it will be harder to make friends cause people there think differently. Make sure if you have different beliefs than christianity dont tell anyone at the school cause you will be looked at as a satanist. After the first semester i had to move with another family member to somewhere else because i hated the school so much. The best thing about the school is that the teachers really care about the students education but their are those couple of teachers that will look at you different if you arnt in the "in crowd" with other students. If your not use to the south i say just stay away from MS.

Posted May 2, 2010

I am a parent of an African American male that graduated from OGHS. We have not encountered any of the problems other people are talking about. My son was a very popular male and we are not rich, we are Catholic, and we lived in a high crime neighborhood. Everything that I asked the teachers to help my son with-whether it be after school tutoring- the teachers were happy to help. I wa more interested in my child getting the quality education that OGHS had to offer than being popular. And being that way made us popular. I say us because when I stepped into the school the office personnel, the students and the teachers knew me as Paul's mother. And everybody knew I meant business but I have always been respectful to staff and staff have always offered the same respect to me.

Posted September 28, 2009

Oak Grove has more bad in it than good. the best thing about it is the teachers that actually care about your well-being and grades and try to help you. the bad is the social situations. Oak grove high school has bad social problems. if you have not gone there since elementary school, don't have alot of money, don't live in a certain neighborhood, or don't attend a certain church, expect to be in the in-crowd. i have dealt with this since i moved here in 8th grade (current Junior), and it hasn't been easy, but i've dealt with it because i have a good few friends that stick with me thick and thin. anyways, if you are a rich family and care about popularity, send your children here. if not, this is not the school for you, let alone the school district.

Posted September 9, 2009

I am a tudent of Oak Grove and i have been since i first started school> I couldn't picture myself at any other school. The staff as well as the students are hard working and as well as dedicated and strive for the best.

Posted July 30, 2009

Lamar Co. and OGHS are terrible choices if you have a special needs child. It has been a constant battle with frequent IEP meeting to get the school to offer anything but the minimal required. The school is overcrowded, unsafe and poorly managed.

Posted July 23, 2008

As an upcoming senior at Oak Grove High School, I know the school very well. I have attended Oak Grove k-12. I find it to be a realitively nice school with both good and bad aspects. The good aspects are the staff is very hard working and good, extracurricular activites are great, and there is a very good police staff. The bad aspects are the familiar cliques and groups, education is at a low, unchallenging level and not at all preparing for college, and discipline is rather lacking. All together, its a decent school. The theatre program is number 1 in the southeast nation. In 2008, we attended the Southeastern Theatre Conference(after winning state competition) and placed 1st. I was a member of the show(Tails of Trickery) and it was a great experience. I highly recommend the Theatre program.

Posted July 16, 2008

I have three children who are currently attending this school. We love it! the teachers are the are wonderful. This school is known all around for it's high achievements. Two of my kids play sports one is in band and all three of them mak superior markings! Oak Grove is defiantly a school i would recomend for anyone who is looking for great teachers and constant success!

Posted March 26, 2008

I have two children attending Oak Grove High School and I have been extremely pleased with the school. Both of my children are getting the highest level of education available in the region. We have used private schools in the past and have not been as satisified as we have been with Oak Grove. They have excellent facilities for both learning and sports and other activities. No finer school in the area.

Posted November 14, 2007

I went to Oak Grove from K-12. It is one of the top schools in Ms as far as education. If your moving to the area and looking for the best quality education around this is it. There is a huge emphasis on who is 'popular' and who is not. But like I said, all the other school in the area are way below Oak Grove's level as far as school work goes.

Posted October 17, 2007

I have had 3 children attend this school so far and considering the area this is one of the better schools. This school cannot compete with national schools in what it offers academically. It only offers the basic of classes. If you are moving from out-of-state I would recommend that you do your homework and find an area with better schools.

Posted October 6, 2007

the education is great. the teachers, most of them, are really educated and know what they are talking about. as a 'different' (different religion and race), i never feel belonged and never feel accepted. i have a few friends, but i do not feel safe here at all. everyday, i have to go through some racist statements and racist actions from other students. i found myself being miserable everytime i step into the school. even the school bus, i do. i've been to oak grove schools for 3 years now, and i hate it more every year. i recommend the education, being that it is very good. but i wouldn't recommend this school for the students within it. the students are extremely mean and very outspoken (in a bad way).

Posted April 22, 2007

The teachers at Oak Grove are very good teachers. They prepare students very well but the principal leadership is terrible. I think there is too much parent involvement in the school. The extracurricular activities are great but only if you are a good kid you will make the team.

Posted March 4, 2007

Oak Grove is a horrible school! I have moved four times now and this has to be the worst school that I have ever attended. The teachers, however, are really sweet and care about teaching the kids. The students are horrible, though, they only care about who is popular today. If you or your kids were to move here, don't expect them to make any friends. Over all, Oak Grove has great teachers, good test scores, and horrible people!

Posted December 5, 2006

As a graduate of Oak Grove, I feel that the school is great for educational purposes. However, if you want your child to be a decent person to other people, this may not be the school for you. The athletics are great, the extra-curriculars are top-notch, and if you want Christian values and a Principle that doesn't care whether or not the law allows them, then this is your school! Make sure your child knows who they are and can take the tourture of not being 'popular' before you send them.

Posted April 23, 2006

I've never seen so much racism! So much separation! Don't have money? Your kid won't play any sports. Don't go to 'this particular' church? You won't be in. It has been very discouraging for me. Thank God I have taught my children to be confident so that stuff hasn't bothered them. Beware! You are in a place where most want to stay in the dark ages. Even the private schools are a place for parents to show off. My children always attented private schools in another state. Just moved here and heard Oak Grove schools were the best. NOT! My son has teachers who make racial comments like it's no big deal! I am moving this summer to a city in another state where there are 'forward thinking' people.

Posted February 7, 2006

As a graduate of Oak Grove I can say that it is the best school in South Mississippi. The Theatre Department is second to none two time MTA (Mississippi Theatre Association) winner. I was with Mrs.A on the most recent trip to perform in the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland and it was the best trip of my life I will never forget it.

Posted November 15, 2005

Oak Grove is a wonderful area that provides a first class educational experience from Kindergarten through 12th grade. Academic programs are extensive and extra activities numerous. Teachers are parent-friendly! Most are available before and/or after school to assist students and all I've encountered are quick to provide call-backs to parents. My daughter is experiencing the Accelerated classes and we are very pleased.

Posted November 1, 2005

I don't understand why Oak Grove has 4 stars for everything except extracirricular activities. The school should have 5 stars in all the catigories. Everything about Oak Grove is first rate. It is constantly recieving the highest scores in all subjects. I have five children going to each of its 4 schools and the only problem I have is where to hang all of the great grades my children bring home. The refridgerator is out of space, my home's buliten board is out of space and my files are too full. This is all because of the superior teaching my children recieve.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

364 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

337 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

384 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

368 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

377 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5198 Old Hwy11