9-12 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Posted January 04, 2011
Oak Grove High School is not at all what it seems to be. I am a freshman at the school, it is the worst experience of high school. The school is over crowded, the class rooms are over crowded... even all four lunch periods. There are too many fights. The only good thing about the school is the staff and teachers, but the students are heinous, I have attened the school since kindergarden, and I still have problems with the people. I doubt I will see myself graduate from the so called Oak Grove High School.

Posted December 27, 2010
Oak Grove is the the BEST IN THE SOUTH. Obviously there are better schools out there but in this area there is none better. Diversity reigns. I had friends from all backgrounds and walks of life. In one class there were Buddhists, Catholics, Mormons, Atheists, Protestants, Muslim, blacks, whites, asians, and other. Talk about a great experience. I attended Oak Grove K-12 and made new friends every year. I am so proud of my alma mater.

Posted June 30, 2010
I went to oak grove the first semester of my senior year cause my family was stationed there because of the military. If you werent in the school district since elementary it will be harder to make friends cause people there think differently. Make sure if you have different beliefs than christianity dont tell anyone at the school cause you will be looked at as a satanist. After the first semester i had to move with another family member to somewhere else because i hated the school so much. The best thing about the school is that the teachers really care about the students education but their are those couple of teachers that will look at you different if you arnt in the "in crowd" with other students. If your not use to the south i say just stay away from MS.

Posted May 02, 2010
I am a parent of an African American male that graduated from OGHS. We have not encountered any of the problems other people are talking about. My son was a very popular male and we are not rich, we are Catholic, and we lived in a high crime neighborhood. Everything that I asked the teachers to help my son with-whether it be after school tutoring- the teachers were happy to help. I wa more interested in my child getting the quality education that OGHS had to offer than being popular. And being that way made us popular. I say us because when I stepped into the school the office personnel, the students and the teachers knew me as Paul's mother. And everybody knew I meant business but I have always been respectful to staff and staff have always offered the same respect to me.

Posted September 28, 2009
Oak Grove has more bad in it than good. the best thing about it is the teachers that actually care about your well-being and grades and try to help you. the bad is the social situations. Oak grove high school has bad social problems. if you have not gone there since elementary school, don't have alot of money, don't live in a certain neighborhood, or don't attend a certain church, expect to be in the in-crowd. i have dealt with this since i moved here in 8th grade (current Junior), and it hasn't been easy, but i've dealt with it because i have a good few friends that stick with me thick and thin. anyways, if you are a rich family and care about popularity, send your children here. if not, this is not the school for you, let alone the school district.

Posted September 09, 2009
I am a tudent of Oak Grove and i have been since i first started school> I couldn't picture myself at any other school. The staff as well as the students are hard working and as well as dedicated and strive for the best.

Posted July 30, 2009
Lamar Co. and OGHS are terrible choices if you have a special needs child. It has been a constant battle with frequent IEP meeting to get the school to offer anything but the minimal required. The school is overcrowded, unsafe and poorly managed.

Oak Grove High School 3

Posted July 23, 2008
As an upcoming senior at Oak Grove High School, I know the school very well. I have attended Oak Grove k-12. I find it to be a realitively nice school with both good and bad aspects. The good aspects are the staff is very hard working and good, extracurricular activites are great, and there is a very good police staff. The bad aspects are the familiar cliques and groups, education is at a low, unchallenging level and not at all preparing for college, and discipline is rather lacking. All together, its a decent school. The theatre program is number 1 in the southeast nation. In 2008, we attended the Southeastern Theatre Conference(after winning state competition) and placed 1st. I was a member of the show(Tails of Trickery) and it was a great experience. I highly recommend the Theatre program.

Posted July 16, 2008
I have three children who are currently attending this school. We love it! the teachers are the are wonderful. This school is known all around for it's high achievements. Two of my kids play sports one is in band and all three of them mak superior markings! Oak Grove is defiantly a school i would recomend for anyone who is looking for great teachers and constant success!

Posted March 26, 2008
I have two children attending Oak Grove High School and I have been extremely pleased with the school. Both of my children are getting the highest level of education available in the region. We have used private schools in the past and have not been as satisified as we have been with Oak Grove. They have excellent facilities for both learning and sports and other activities. No finer school in the area.

5198 Old Hwy11, Hattiesburg, MS  39402
Last modified Oak Grove High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.