H. W. Byers High School (5-12)

Public | 5-12 & ungraded | 452 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 7, 2009

I graduated from H.W. Byers and attended for 7 years. The education was so below par that although I was in the top of my class in high school, I had extreme difficulty in junior college. I felt unprepared in every way both emotionally and intellectually and it has been a struggle to catch up to my peers. And, I was at the top of my class...

Posted April 13, 2008

we are three 7th grade students who have our own opinion about this school.we think this school is awesome,test scores have really improved,and the teachers are doing a great job of teaching us.some people say this a bad school but it actually is a pretty good school.some parents are blaming the teachers for their children's bad grades but being students ourselves most of the time your children don't pay attention in class.so before you go blaming the teachers for your children's bad grades stop and think about how well your child pays attention in class. signed three 7th grade students

Posted March 1, 2008

As an alumni of H.W. Byers Attendant Center, I have the pleasure to say that this school has changed tremendously since I was a student there. Test scores have improved a lot. Many clubs have been established like the '20 and Above Club.' Under the leadership of Mr. Hannah and other great faculty members, I feel that H.W. Byers will continue to strive for excellence. Watching these great faculty members is what made me want to enter the School of Education at my university. I hope to be joining this team in the near future so I can make a difference like they have.

Posted November 8, 2007

I am currently a senior at H.W. Byers High School. I have attended this school since 2003. I was nervous about coming to this school, but when I got here I was glad I came. It open me eyes to the 'real world' and what you encounter in life. As far as academic is concerned we are progressing each year. For the parents of those who are not satisfied with H.W. Byers, as a whole, education starts in the home and excels at school.

Posted March 30, 2007

Before being critical of the school, walk a day in the shoes of the principal, the teachers, or the students. They are doing an excellent job with the few resources that are available to them.

Posted February 26, 2007

I think that H.W.Byers is a good school. I have been at this school every since kindergarten. I am a Junior at H.W.Byers right now! I think that the teacher want to teach the children but the some of the children arer not willing to learn.. I am among the students that want to learn but some time it is hard for the teacher to teach us beacuse the teacher has to stop work and yell at the students that are misbehaving. sometimes it is hard for us to learn with these students in the room. I think that misbehaving students need to be in one classroom and the students that want to learn be in another room. I like the New Principal that we have at H.W.Byers! Mr. Hannah is a lovely principal!

Posted December 30, 2006

I am currently attending H.W.Byers. I am in the 8th grade. Alot of people say that this is a bad school. They also say the teachers and other administrators are doing a bad job. Well I am here to say something to prove that wrong. I took the normal ACT with Collierville High students while in the 7th grade, and I made a 16. Two of my other class mates made 18. You may say that's not much out of 36, but a lot of 11th graders can't do any better.

Posted September 9, 2006

I am a former student of H.W.Byers, and I have two siblings, and several family members that go to H.W. Byers and it is sad that some parents blame the teachers because of your child's failure. If your child can not read, why don't you already know this! It is not the teachers job to RAISE your child, parents have a duty to teach your child something at home..I graduated #1 in my class, I graduated with high honors from college, and now I getting a Masters Degree, so H.W. Byers is teaching those students who are willing to learn. There are a lot of things that can be improved just like anywhere else but this is a great school. Parents who complain, please come to the PTA meetings, Board meetings, and open house to check on your child and not simply ship them off to school and blame everyone!

Posted May 20, 2006

This not a bad school we have a lot of postive things from Byers. Their should be more extra activites, but what we have lets make the best of it also. Our scores went up last year and that is something great.

Posted April 18, 2006

I am an actively involved parent with three children at HW Byers Attendance Center. This school is just like so many other schools in America with some good teachers and some teachers who are just there to draw their paycheck. As a member of the PTA, we only average about 10 parents per meeting which is sad. If we as parents want a better school with better teachers and resources, then we must participate in the PTA and go to the Board of Supervisors meetings as an organized body. In addition, we as parents cannot depend on teachers and administrators to raise our children and effectively teach fundamentals. I have found that these teachers are faced with the challenge of discipling and instructing the students and spending a lot of time preparing for the MCT. Above all, our school should be commended for improving standards with limited resources and funds.

Posted March 29, 2006

I do not recomed this school for any child that has other options. very poor teaching skills and unhealty invioment to place you child. They are not equipt for the amount of students they already have not enough books,poor teacher and student communication,they are more worried about uniforms than they are getting the thing to use in the class rooms to teach these children.

Posted December 3, 2004

I have two daughters attending H.W. Byers as we speak. I must say that I did not attend this school, but I am impressed that they do so much with so little. In saying that, I feel that it is a very good school. I agree that it has some faults but by in large, the faculty deserves our respect. If a parent doesn't feel that their child is not excelling at this school, then action needs to be taken. I don't mean to snatch the child out of the school; I mean to get more involved in their child's education. The teacher's job is to teach, but the parent's job is to reinforce what was taught. Someone has to stand up for what is right. The teachers and administration can only do so much. We as parents have to do our part.

Posted November 10, 2004

I am not a parent but I am a proud former student and its such a disgrace how you parents fault the faculty about your children's negligence. Most of my family graduated from HWB and my uncle, Mr. Coleman taught there for over 25 yrs.. therfore the school is not in fault, the teachers have a job to do and they do it well, the students also have a job to do but they don't want to realize that public education is a priveledge, not a right. So on behalf of all the people who attended HWB or Sand Flat, please belive in the faculty members. Don't listen to the negativity around you. -Leticia Coleman

Posted July 31, 2004

If you love your child, find a way - far - far away from this alleged school. My daughter was 13/7th grade - while the school proved to be uninterested in her education - they worked overtime to humiliate her and teacher incited racial tension among the students. No Books - Pathetic Scores - Dangerous Transportation (school bus) An overall complete looser! Administrators responsible for allowing this situation to exist have all been promoted. Good teachers are running scared. Students retaking last years work to 'catch up' There should be a 'poison flag' on this one for any concerned parent!!

Posted June 14, 2004

My child is 10 he is in 3rd grade! He faild 2nd gr. twice. Teachers said he would not do his work! This yr. he went to a new school, they found out he could not read! Within 2 mos. at the new school he could read on 2.6 gd.level!But it is too late for him he will always be very behind in school because of HW Byers! Parents! Please do whatever it takes to keep your kid out of this school! PS - I also went to h.w. my exp. was no better.

Posted February 10, 2004

Ms. Cowan and Mrs. McFadden - they are excellent teachers and deserve a reward for their hard work.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 63% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 93% in 2012.

66 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

59 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 0% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 90%N/A71%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4178 Hwy 72 East