5-12 & Ungraded
Holly Springs, MS

H. W. Byers High School (5-12) 1

Posted July 07, 2009
I graduated from H.W. Byers and attended for 7 years. The education was so below par that although I was in the top of my class in high school, I had extreme difficulty in junior college. I felt unprepared in every way both emotionally and intellectually and it has been a struggle to catch up to my peers. And, I was at the top of my class...

Posted April 13, 2008
we are three 7th grade students who have our own opinion about this school.we think this school is awesome,test scores have really improved,and the teachers are doing a great job of teaching us.some people say this a bad school but it actually is a pretty good school.some parents are blaming the teachers for their children's bad grades but being students ourselves most of the time your children don't pay attention in class.so before you go blaming the teachers for your children's bad grades stop and think about how well your child pays attention in class. signed three 7th grade students

Posted March 01, 2008
As an alumni of H.W. Byers Attendant Center, I have the pleasure to say that this school has changed tremendously since I was a student there. Test scores have improved a lot. Many clubs have been established like the '20 and Above Club.' Under the leadership of Mr. Hannah and other great faculty members, I feel that H.W. Byers will continue to strive for excellence. Watching these great faculty members is what made me want to enter the School of Education at my university. I hope to be joining this team in the near future so I can make a difference like they have.

Posted November 08, 2007
I am currently a senior at H.W. Byers High School. I have attended this school since 2003. I was nervous about coming to this school, but when I got here I was glad I came. It open me eyes to the 'real world' and what you encounter in life. As far as academic is concerned we are progressing each year. For the parents of those who are not satisfied with H.W. Byers, as a whole, education starts in the home and excels at school.

Posted March 30, 2007
Before being critical of the school, walk a day in the shoes of the principal, the teachers, or the students. They are doing an excellent job with the few resources that are available to them.

Posted February 26, 2007
I think that H.W.Byers is a good school. I have been at this school every since kindergarten. I am a Junior at H.W.Byers right now! I think that the teacher want to teach the children but the some of the children arer not willing to learn.. I am among the students that want to learn but some time it is hard for the teacher to teach us beacuse the teacher has to stop work and yell at the students that are misbehaving. sometimes it is hard for us to learn with these students in the room. I think that misbehaving students need to be in one classroom and the students that want to learn be in another room. I like the New Principal that we have at H.W.Byers! Mr. Hannah is a lovely principal!

H. W. Byers High School (5-12) 5

Posted December 30, 2006
I am currently attending H.W.Byers. I am in the 8th grade. Alot of people say that this is a bad school. They also say the teachers and other administrators are doing a bad job. Well I am here to say something to prove that wrong. I took the normal ACT with Collierville High students while in the 7th grade, and I made a 16. Two of my other class mates made 18. You may say that's not much out of 36, but a lot of 11th graders can't do any better.

Posted September 09, 2006
I am a former student of H.W.Byers, and I have two siblings, and several family members that go to H.W. Byers and it is sad that some parents blame the teachers because of your child's failure. If your child can not read, why don't you already know this! It is not the teachers job to RAISE your child, parents have a duty to teach your child something at home..I graduated #1 in my class, I graduated with high honors from college, and now I getting a Masters Degree, so H.W. Byers is teaching those students who are willing to learn. There are a lot of things that can be improved just like anywhere else but this is a great school. Parents who complain, please come to the PTA meetings, Board meetings, and open house to check on your child and not simply ship them off to school and blame everyone!

Posted May 20, 2006
This not a bad school we have a lot of postive things from Byers. Their should be more extra activites, but what we have lets make the best of it also. Our scores went up last year and that is something great.

H. W. Byers High School (5-12) 3

Posted April 18, 2006
I am an actively involved parent with three children at HW Byers Attendance Center. This school is just like so many other schools in America with some good teachers and some teachers who are just there to draw their paycheck. As a member of the PTA, we only average about 10 parents per meeting which is sad. If we as parents want a better school with better teachers and resources, then we must participate in the PTA and go to the Board of Supervisors meetings as an organized body. In addition, we as parents cannot depend on teachers and administrators to raise our children and effectively teach fundamentals. I have found that these teachers are faced with the challenge of discipling and instructing the students and spending a lot of time preparing for the MCT. Above all, our school should be commended for improving standards with limited resources and funds.

4178 Hwy 72 East, Holly Springs, MS  38635
Last modified H. W. Byers High School (5-12) is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
H. W. Byers High School (5-12) Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top