PK-2 & Ungraded
Horn Lake, MS

Posted December 18, 2013
I currently have 2 children at Hle, both are in kindergarten. I absolutely love their teachers and assistant teachers. They work very hard and we work as a team. Both of my kids are in title 1 program and they do an excellent job. I have seen a huge improvement in both of my children. The principal is amazing. I can tell that they all truly care about all of the children there. Thank you for all that you do.

Horn Lake Elementary School 3

Posted November 15, 2013
We moved to Horn Lake over the summer so my 2nd grade son has been at this school for less than a year. I really don't know weather the Title I Program the school boasts so adamantly is a curse or a blessing. Overall the staff & teachers seem nice. But I have concerns about attitudes and situations I encountered. Some teachers and staff seemed careless and were focused on the wrong things, lazy even. A lot goes on that is ignored between students-bullying, violence and inappropriate behavior that I saw as a parent present at school events during school hours. I find it's a common occurrence that money (or supplies) are requested (normally with short notice). Half the time the same is the case for any activities or programs (my son is in choir), last minute with hardly enough information provided about these things or the teachers will relay messages through the children that is either miscommunicated or entirely inaccurate. A lot of the parents aren't involved either. I wouldn't recommend this school to someone considering other options for their children, but it's probably better than most in Memphis and I suppose it could be a lot worse.

Horn Lake Elementary School 3

Posted May 15, 2011
My child has attended kindergarten at HLE. And while his teachers are exceptional,we will not be sending him back there next year. I love everything his teachers have taught him...reading,writing,sign language,some spanish!! And the administration is very good too!! They answer any questions I have to the best of their knowledge. The reason my son will not be going back to HLE is because of the other children. He has made alot of friends and he genuinely likes going to school. BUT,other kids have taught him extremely vulgar and unnecessary words and phrases!! He has learned words that he never would've heard at home or anywhere else for that matter!! I just can't tolerate my elementarty schoold child learning things he should'nt learn at such a young age.I did send his teachers a note and also contacted the guidance counselor. They were understanding and apologetic but said there wasnt much they could do outsidde of letting the parents know of the other children. And apparently the parents didnot care bc there have been many instances throughout the year. My husband and I will be looking for a house in another area of desoto cou

Horn Lake Elementary School 1

Posted August 16, 2010
My son started his kindergarden yr and it was great but when he hit the end of 1st grade there was many concerns, the principal began stating that my son was ADHD, because he would do things like speak out loud, or get up to sharpen his pencil without permission, even though he made all A's and B's, they tried to force my husband and I to have our son evaluated. They punished him for dropping his pencil on the floor and said that he was seeking attention, they left him in a classroom while the others where having field day, by himself, in the dark. They eventually kicked him out of school. I contacted the board and they refused to hear me or even meet my son. They wrote him off as the "baddest kid in the school". We left and went to another school and he's doing great.

Horn Lake Elementary School 0

Posted October 21, 2009
It is a great place to work. Teachers work very hard to provide their students the best education.

Posted April 08, 2009

Posted January 06, 2009

Horn Lake Elementary School 4

Posted December 04, 2008
My daughter attended for kindergarten and now is in first grade. This school has an incredible administration/principal and a majority of the teachers are fabulous, but all are dedicated and there for the children. The school is wonderful at rewarding academic excellence and does a great job of keeping parents involved in their children's education, which is reflected in a majority of the children. The new Prosper aftercare program run at HLE by some of the teachers is wonderful and has really contributed to my daughter's improvements in behavior and school. I was private-schooled and intrepid about the education she would receive in public school, but I'm not worried while she's at HLE and city-wide extracurriculars/sports more than make up for what the school doesn't have.

Horn Lake Elementary School 2