PK-2 & Ungraded|Public district
595 students|Desoto Co School Dist

Bad
Good

I currently have 2 children at Hle, both are in kindergarten. I absolutely love their teachers and assistant teachers. They work very hard and we work as a team. Both of my kids are in title 1 program and they do an excellent job. I have seen a huge improvement in both of my children. The principal is amazing. I can tell that they all truly care about all of the children there. Thank you for all that you do.

We moved to Horn Lake over the summer so my 2nd grade son has been at this school for less than a year. I really don't know weather the Title I Program the school boasts so adamantly is a curse or a blessing. Overall the staff & teachers seem nice. But I have concerns about attitudes and situations I encountered. Some teachers and staff seemed careless and were focused on the wrong things, lazy even. A lot goes on that is ignored between students-bullying, violence and inappropriate behavior that I saw as a parent present at school events during school hours. I find it's a common occurrence that money (or supplies) are requested (normally with short notice). Half the time the same is the case for any activities or programs (my son is in choir), last minute with hardly enough information provided about these things or the teachers will relay messages through the children that is either miscommunicated or entirely inaccurate. A lot of the parents aren't involved either. I wouldn't recommend this school to someone considering other options for their children, but it's probably better than most in Memphis and I suppose it could be a lot worse.

My child has attended kindergarten at HLE. And while his teachers are exceptional,we will not be sending him back there next year. I love everything his teachers have taught him...reading,writing,sign language,some spanish!! And the administration is very good too!! They answer any questions I have to the best of their knowledge. The reason my son will not be going back to HLE is because of the other children. He has made alot of friends and he genuinely likes going to school. BUT,other kids have taught him extremely vulgar and unnecessary words and phrases!! He has learned words that he never would've heard at home or anywhere else for that matter!! I just can't tolerate my elementarty schoold child learning things he should'nt learn at such a young age.I did send his teachers a note and also contacted the guidance counselor. They were understanding and apologetic but said there wasnt much they could do outsidde of letting the parents know of the other children. And apparently the parents didnot care bc there have been many instances throughout the year. My husband and I will be looking for a house in another area of desoto cou

My son started his kindergarden yr and it was great but when he hit the end of 1st grade there was many concerns, the principal began stating that my son was ADHD, because he would do things like speak out loud, or get up to sharpen his pencil without permission, even though he made all A's and B's, they tried to force my husband and I to have our son evaluated. They punished him for dropping his pencil on the floor and said that he was seeking attention, they left him in a classroom while the others where having field day, by himself, in the dark. They eventually kicked him out of school. I contacted the board and they refused to hear me or even meet my son. They wrote him off as the "baddest kid in the school". We left and went to another school and he's doing great.

It is a great place to work. Teachers work very hard to provide their students the best education.

My daughter attended for kindergarten and now is in first grade. This school has an incredible administration/principal and a majority of the teachers are fabulous, but all are dedicated and there for the children. The school is wonderful at rewarding academic excellence and does a great job of keeping parents involved in their children's education, which is reflected in a majority of the children. The new Prosper aftercare program run at HLE by some of the teachers is wonderful and has really contributed to my daughter's improvements in behavior and school. I was private-schooled and intrepid about the education she would receive in public school, but I'm not worried while she's at HLE and city-wide extracurriculars/sports more than make up for what the school doesn't have.

We transfered our daughter to HLE, and had some concerns with the change. The customer service that we received was great. The admistrive assitance was very polite when speaking with me over the phone. The principal gave us a tour of the school and we could see that she keeps the school secure at all times. We viewed her compasionte for the children and thier love for her as well. The first day of school we were nevrous, but they made us feel at ease and were very freindly. We were excited about the move and feel that we have our daughter in a great school. The school was very clean as well, and their moto of No Child Left Behind is posted as a daily reminder.

I give this school a 10. Because of the teachers and the principals that work there. They are some of best educators I know and they really care about our kids.

My son attends this school and he loves it. The teachers are great. I'm a single mom who is going to school and they help in so many ways. I couldn't ask for a better school. Thanks a lot for everything.

Last modified Horn Lake Elementary School is a Public school