Horn Lake Intermediate School

Public | 3-5 & ungraded | 1133 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 16, 2013

I pretty much have nothing mice to say about this school. They are not trained nor equipped to handle children with severe ADHD. they started out with a behavior plan for my son but I guess that proved to be too much work for them and they quit doing it. Rather than try to help me with a plan that will encourage my son and work with him, the best they come up with is punishment, public humiliation, paddling, and suspension. What a way to "leave no child behind". Unfortunately this is the only school choice I have for my son.

Posted November 15, 2013

We moved to Horn Lake over the summer so my 3rd grade daughter has been at this school for less than a year. I really don't know weather the Title I Program the school boasts so adamantly is a curse or a blessing. Overall the staff and teachers seem nice. But I have concerns about the quality of education and other students' impact on my daughter. For an exceptional student the struggle is that most students behave and perform so poorly. A lot goes on that is ignored between students-bullying, violence and inappropriate behavior-my daughter was ignored when she reported a boy snapping her bra strap repeatedly (after the fact she didn't know his name so nothing could be done about it). Money or supplies are requested often (normally with short notice) same is the case for any activities or programs, last minute with hardly enough information provided about these things or the teachers will relay messages through the children that is either miscommunicated or inaccurate. My daughter's teacher has a habit of giving my daughter incorrect information about things not pertaining to school lessons. I wouldn't recommend this school to someone considering other options for their children.

Posted November 9, 2010

I am fortunate to live in this district, I like this school.

Posted February 17, 2010

I have a son in the 4th grade at this school and we have had nothing but problems. The children are not well supervised and the other students are allowed to name call and be very cruel to others. I do not agree with the way things are handled ina non-professional manner and will do everything in my power to see that things from now on have some serious change.

Posted September 13, 2007

I agree whole heartily on the other parents reviews. It is great school but I feel that the teachers put to much stress on the kids. They are in the schools more than half the day and they come home with just as much work as when they are at school during the day. I have a fourth grader and he brings home work in every single subject every day. The teachers don't think about you might have other children with homework and that some of us work at night. I want my child to learn all he can and succeed in school;so please give their little brains enough time to rest in between school and home. I feel that the school has a great academic program and they just need to not put so much stress on these little ones at such a young age.

Posted June 2, 2005

HLIS I would like to start by congratulating Mrs. Bullock on her first year and a job well done. And I would like to thank Mrs. J. Shannon, and Mrs. Smith for a wonderful year, thank you for all your help with my child. Look forward to seeing you next year. I give everybody 5 stars for what you do at HLIS. Just helping out at the jump rope athon I got a little taste and saw just what everybody does around HLIS. So a job well done to everybody. Keep up the good work.

Posted June 1, 2004

HlIS is a wonderful school if your child is going to the 4th grade. I clearly recomen Mrs.Ward . She is a wonderful teacher. She help me very dearly. She had 15 students when my I went and she paid close attention to each and every one of us. She was very fun . She always had something fun to do. I was in her class in 2003-2004 . She would always know what to say when you needed a good laugh, or when your down. I sat right in front of her desk.We always had a great time. She help me with alot of things. If you make bad on a test she'll know excactly what to say. We had a wonderful time in 4th grade. She was a first year teacher when I went. Every one loved her. Over all HLIS is a wonderful school to go to.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 14, 2004

My child is currently in 4th grade and struggling. I feel the curriculum consists of too many skills to master in 9 1/2 months. Therefore, students that are not as bright as others get left behind. That may be a reflection on the school board and not this individual school. I also feel HLIS needs to support the AR program more and possibly raise funds from the next fund raiser for it. They may have the required AR book in the library to read but not the program needed for testing. Reading is a huge part of a person's life. I do feel that teachers and office personnel listen to your concerns and have your childs best interest in mind. I would definitely recommend all Desoto County Schools over Shelby County and Memphis City Schools.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

381 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

379 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

357 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

356 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

314 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

356 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Asian 1% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 81%N/A71%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6585 Horn Lake Rd