No rating

Jackson Preparatory School

Private | 6-12 | 135 students

Posted May 11, 2014

My daughter is currently a senior and will be graduating in a week. We have been at Prep for seven years - we started in sixth grade. This school is a wonderful place to send your children. We have grown to love the kids and their parents. The curriculum is tough and 4.0 + grade point averages are not achieved without a lot of hard work. The arts department is very strong and if your child is interested in drama or choir/vocal performance, Prep is the place to be! I can't say enough good things about Prep. Things weren't always perfect, but what institution is that is full of teenagers? I love Prep and will be sad to say goodbye.

Posted September 15, 2013

I am a Jackson Prep graduate and I am so thankful for the education I received at Prep. While at the time, I did not always enjoy the level of difficulty, Prep prepared me for college and my "big girl job". Being able to say "I am a graduate from Jackson Prep." also opens lots of doors in Mississippi. I would highly recommend Prep to any parents or students who are looking for a quality education for their child in the Jackson area.

Posted May 13, 2013

Often times, certain things seem to exist only to serve as a lesser or greater counterpart to something else. For example, cats, for many people, are a better alternative for household pets over dogs. Inversely, for many families, dogs are a better option over cats. The counterpart to this school is St. Andrew's Episcopal school. The only difference is that unlike the relationship between cats and dos where one is only sometimes better than the other, St. Andrew's will always be better than Prep. Prep is basically St. Andrew's with less academic excellence and more racial tension. It doesn't matter what anyone else from just Prep says, I have attended both schools and I've seen the difference.

Posted July 2, 2012

We just finished our first year at Prep and my son could not be happier. I am very pleased with the education,study skills, and friendships he has developed over the past year. Prep is an excellent school and I would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. Prep is about academics not about letting the parents rule the school. I really like that!

Posted March 17, 2011

I am a very recent alum of Jackson Prep. I know I can't speak for every student but, I had a great experience with the school. The course work is very difficult, but the teachers are more than willing to help the students any way they can, it is routine to offer help sessions for students in need at least twice weekly in each class. Most alumni I know have had very little trouble in their college work. With the focus being on college preparation they do an excellent job helping students with college admissions and they do a lot to help you find the college that's right for you, though the do tend to push students for more prestigious and expensive schools, occasionally disregarding ability to pay for such a university. Extracurriculars are wide ranging and there will be something for everyone. Some of the best people I've ever met in my life I met through prep extracurriculars. The one drawback I could cite is many students can be very mean to people who are different but isn't that true of all high schools?

Posted December 14, 2009

I graduated from public school years ago and never thought I would send my children to a private school. I decided to let my preconceived opinions go because I wanted the best possible education for my children. Prep is by far the best possible choice in Mississippi! No school is perfect, but we have been very pleased with Prep. It's tough, without a doubt, but graduates will be prepared for anything after graduation.

Posted November 2, 2009

Outstanding school, both in academics and athletics. Not an easy school but also not a overly difficult school. I graduated from Prep over a decade ago and looking back it is really evident of how well it prepared me for college level courses. I highly recommend Jackson Prep for anyone searching for a vessel of higher education.

Posted October 1, 2009

I am currently in ninth grade at Jackson Prep. This school is very versatile in that it has many programs for the gifted and those who may be slower to learn. The teachers are brilliant and know things far beyond their subject. They are very kind and supportive. Also, they have a passion for what they do and it obviously spreads to the student. Jackson Prep is by far the best school with which I have ever had any experience.

Posted February 28, 2009

This school cares little about the individual student and more about what it can claim as its achievements. It's all about show. There are times when it seems as though the headmaster cares, but she doesn't care. Many of the teachers treat the students with little or no respect. Others, however, are very dedicated to teaching and enjoy enriching the lives of their students. Your situation depends on the teachers you get. If you want to attend a laid-back school, don't attend Jackson Prep. If you want to spend your high school years stressing over minor details, being used in order to build the school's reputation, and worked to death, go to Jackson Prep. I'm a senior, and I'm ready to graduate. It can't come any sooner. Does that give you an idea?

Posted September 18, 2008

I went to the school from the 7th grade until the tenth grade and it was honestly overall a terrible experience. From the frequent racial slurs to the lack of outside cultural acceptance, it does not meet very high standards. Most of the students there have rich parents who donate large sums of money to the school so they can tramp all over the lesser student body at their will while knowing that there wont be repricussions. Furthermore, I feel that the root of the problem is that the school was founded on white supremacists values and the descendants of those who attended during that time have come back to the school. I now attend St. Andrews Episcopal school and not only feel that it is a better college prep school, but it is far more advanced than Jackson Preperatory will ever be.

Posted August 27, 2007

Prep has a great variety of extra-curricular activities from fine arts through athletics for a wide range of students. The teachers are committed and experienced as shown through the national test results and scholarship opportunities for students.

Posted January 27, 2006

Academic Program is excellent and extra-curricular activities are available for all students. Instructors are experienced and several have Ph.D's A child is truly prepared for college or university if he graduates from Prep.

Posted December 21, 2005

Jackson Prep is one of the finest schools I have ever attended. The teachers a great, and they truly challenge students. Jackson Prep is a college prep school. The school has many team sports, and has a very fine music and art department. The parents are very involved their cgildren. Jackson Prep is the best school in the area.

Posted May 22, 2004

Excellent school. The teachers are very experienced and are extremely helpful. The advisors are very helpful in providing any information you may need to help your child perform well. They prepare your child to achieve well on standarized tests which play a large part in your college future. Parent involvement is great. They also have a large number of extracurricular activities to choose from. My child scores mostly a's and a few b's in honor subjects and still has time to dance at least 15 hours a week. The children are well rounded and friendly. JP is the best school in the Jackson area.

Posted February 23, 2004

Tends to be too 'college' prepatory...very competitive, large amounts of schoolwork, which if your child happens to be a 'B-C' student, tends to put alot of pressure on children. If you desire a better balance or your child is considered 'laid-back' - you may want to consider another school.

Posted August 22, 2003

By far the finest school in the Jackson area and in the State of Mississippi. Truly a college preparatory cirriclum.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

Po Box 4940