K-2 & Ungraded|Public district
929 students|Hinds Co School Dist

Bad
Good

Gary Road Elementary leadership has a practice of not allowing grandparents (concerned family members) to visit the classrooms. The reason stated is that the students become too distracted. I don't agree with this practice. Parents or whomever the parent permits should be allowed to observe their students interaction in the classroom.

This school has been a great school for my son. We moved to Byram and was worried that the school would not be good for him because we had just left Chicago. Parents at this school are very involved. The new principal is strict but I know she aims to keep the kids safe. i would let my son finish out his elementary there because i know he is safe. Do not believe that are not learning because they are and my son is reading above his grade level and is not bored. He is learning the same thing he would be in Chicago.

This is the worst school on the planet. Bullying, teachers are mean, teachers are unfair, the school office is a joke. Children always look grim and unhappy. One of the teachers even told a student "your parents must not love you at all". AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL! My son even told me that he never wants to look at the school again or go down the road the school is on. Tons of students are transferring to private schools because it is simply horrible.

I would never recommend this school to anyone! They have no art program for the kids what so ever. Also I had to go up to the schools a few times because of poor teaching and making sure the children are safe. The teaching staff was horrible my kids did get a bit higher vocabulary going there but the grammar was horrible. My kids would started a sentence with we Be or something of that nature and at first I thought my kids picked it up from the school but soon learned it was the teachers my kids were picking it up from. All of this is just the tip of the iceberg of how bad this school is but to make it simple teachers F, Principal F, and other parent involvement F.

Great school and teachers with a good program

This school is open to the parents at all time for discussions and are there to provide for the children. The have the nicest principal I have ever met that cares about the children

My son is a student in Kindergarten this year and he loves it! The teachers are very friendly and keep you informed. He is reading to me and learns alot.

My daughter started Kindergarten this year at Gary Road and I was scared of sending her to public schools, but my husband and I decided to try Gary Road. We could not be happier. Our daughter is reading to us! It is amazing how much she has learned, that other kindergarten kids are not learning yet. We are very pleased and we have another daughter that will start Kindergarten next year at Gary Road.

Last modified Gary Road Elementary School is a Public school