Chastain Middle School

Public | 6-8 & ungraded | 846 students

Posted February 20, 2014

I would give this school zero stars if I could and I go there. Chastain middle school is one of the worst schools. The teachers act just like the kids.

Posted October 24, 2013

My name is Latrice and my son attends Chastain. He is getting the best education that the state has to offer. He is in accelerated classes and he loves his teachers, it's rare to find good teachers still in this system.So all said , Great School!!!!!!

Posted October 24, 2013

Great school my child attends and her grades has improved tremendously .Keep up the good work.

Posted September 1, 2012

Chastain is still a great school with awesome teachers and fantastic students. Thanks for your kind and positive comments Brittany. You were a pleasure to teach. I wish you and yours the best. Mr. C

Posted August 31, 2012

Hi my name is brittany and i am from new orleans and i went to Chastain Middle during katrina and i felt in love it the school and the teachersand 7 years later i can still say that this was the BEST school i ever went to i am now having a baby girl and when it is time for her to school i am moving back to jackson mississippi so that she can have a change at being smart ! my childs mind will be as bright as she wants it to be and better then anyone in new orleans she will be somebody and i thank Chastain for opening up my mind to new people and new places. i cried when it was time to go home the people are so sweet and welcoming they made me feel like i was from jackson mississippi

Posted July 19, 2010

I went to Chastain 2006-2008. It was one of the most embarassing schools i've ever been to. With all the commotion going on at the time, whenever I'd be out and people ask me what school i go to and I said "chastain" they would soon begin apologizing about how they've heard what a bad school this is. I hear that once upon a time this school was pretty good. In the 80's. I think they should start from scratch and have a better program when it comes to discipline because I hated the fact that school seemed like going to a zoo every day. I really begged my parents to put me in private school during those horrible 3 years of Chastian, and though they never did, I am glad that I survived such a joke of a school.

Posted April 19, 2010

Chastain's principal is clueless about teaching and learning for middle school students. This school was much better with the last principal. I feel sorry for the students who will be damaged by such a lack of leadership. This school is losing awesome teachers each year that this principal stays at this school. He has no true sense of the importance of a safe environment conducive to learning or a productive environment conducive to teaching.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 2, 2010

Chastain is ...... not a bad school..... i go..... my grads are not bad it a grate school for your kid to have fun.. learn..... and more ...

Posted October 12, 2009

When my child attended Chastain in the 6th grade, I was not impress with the school. I was so adamant about my child not attending this school. However, I have observed a 101% academic attitude and the A's proves it. Continue to move forward Chastain.

Posted September 29, 2009

My son is in the 7th grade at Chastain this year and the excitement he has for school this year is truly contagious. I attribute this in great part to the number of great teachers he has and the support sytem Chastain is developing. I am continually impressed with how well mannered the students at teh school are and to committment of its parents, teachers and staff to make / maintain Chastain as a Great school. Chastain 'You Rock'!

Posted February 2, 2009

The new administration has made a positive impact to Chastain Middle school this year and it will only get better! Behavioral issues begin at home and are not the schools main task, it is the parent's. Safety and Discipline is a shared task between the parent's and the school. As is education, children should not be handheld to obtain an education, they should be given instruction and guidance, this too starts at home. All in all I am pleased with Chastain Middle School for both my children who are in 7th and 6th grade.

Posted January 31, 2009

I was a parent of Chastain Middle School. I removed my child from that school as I was not content to have my child be a future hindrance to our society. Grades given, not earned is not helpful to children for the future. Look to the future now, don't send the children out to be a hindrance.

Posted January 30, 2009

I taught here for a year in 2006 as well as went to school here in 1989 - 1990. Wow the change in the school is drastic! Behavior is a major issue as the school is overcrowded and poorly managed. I will not send my child here.

Posted June 10, 2008

This school is not all that great. I went there for 2 years and I must say that I did not enjoy them very much. The only reason I stayed there for 2 years is because of the APAC program.

Posted January 25, 2008

I am a student at Chastain Middle it is a great school. I am in the 8th grade, in the APAC program, member of the National Junior Honor Society, and I am a member of the track, basketball, and football teams. It is a great school with decent teachers. I am proud to be a warrior.

Posted August 17, 2007

chastain is a very good school. i am in apac and i know all of the teachers and most of the students there. all of the teachers are nice and does everything to help a student. the principals are great also

Posted June 4, 2007

I love Chastain Middle School. My son is in the APAC program. His teachers keep him involved in all types of high order thinking activities. He is always doing research and special projects. The teachers are really concerned with teaching them how to do presentations. The teachers provide after school free tutoring in all classes, there is no need for any child to say he/she can't get any help. The teachers are open to parent communication and contact. We have not experienced any disciplined problems at all. I just love Chastain, the PTA, and the principal. I have no complaints, and I assure you what every grade your child makes, he/she has truly earned it. The teachers don't have anything to give. They teach you how to study and take notes. They give the students study guides to prepare for test,and there is no need for failure.

Posted February 28, 2005

Chastain is a great school. the students are what make chastain so great. they are bright and are very athlethic. we had 50 students to take the practice act exam and they did a good job. chastain is just doing a wonderful job and i hope that the principal strives to make chastain the best in the nation.

Posted October 5, 2004

Chastain is a great school.It has enrichment progams that are pretty good all in all.There is not really a problem with the administration except one of the coordinaters is a racist but they don't know they are. In behavior there is a big problem. Students do not do what they are told to do. Teachers lose control of their classes easly. Sometimes I just pray that I will not get cought up in any of the stuff that goes on with behavior problems. Last year a kid thrated to shoot me,but don't worriy that student is gone.Just try to get your child in all apack classes so her/she can avoid some of these problems. It's not as bad in APAC.

Posted August 22, 2004

Chastain has a good principal, he is a very good leader. The academics and extracurricular activities are great, at Chastain, the students come first.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 63% in 2013.

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

218 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 93% in 2012.

246 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 83%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4650 Manhattan Rd