7-12 & Ungraded
Laurel, MS
Students enrolled: 1,343

Posted May 01, 2010
I loved this school!!! I am a graduate from West and my children attend now. I have always been pleased with the quality of the academics and electives offered. The teachers and administrators are often strict, but in this day and age that is a blessing. I feel safe with my kids here and feel thankful that they make it tough on them. A high workload can be a great thing. College won't be a piece of pie either. I feel that they are being prepared for real life. In our home, we support the administrative staff and 'bleed green'!

Posted July 25, 2009
As a graduate of wjh I have to say it really is the best of the county schools the facuility and staff really helped me in my education experience to become the person i am today GO MUSTANGS! once a mustang always a mustang

Posted July 23, 2008
Out of all the schools I have attended West beats them all! Its athletic program is amazing! The staff cares greatly about test scores. FIghts is hardly ever a problem here. It is a large school so there is always a place where anyone can fit in! It is a fairly large school. With its recent remodel it is in perfect shape! It is very nice and very well kept in order. The principals care and do their job. No one is ever left behind in my opinion!

Posted April 27, 2008
As a graduate and former student, I feel that West is a terrific school. Great teachers , students, and an administration that cares. It also has top notch athletic programs.

Posted December 18, 2007
I currently attend West Jones, and am, at the moment, dissatisfied. There is no freedom to be yourself. Pink or blue or any other 'distracting' color is unacceptable. The head principal, Mr. Herrington, is the worst principal I have ever seen. Even though we do have an excellent football team and program, what about the other sports and activities? I am in the band, and our money is in very very short supply. Activities and such are great at this school, but in my own opinion, this school overall, is nothing to brag about.

Posted February 16, 2006
I graduated from West Jones and from the student's point of view, Yes, West has its problems the same as any other school. But this school prepared me for college and for life. I got a great education as well as had tremendous school spirit and loved my school and there was an overall feeling of this. The AP program is exceptional and the school offers many ways of getting involved. Students are educated very well. The work is sometimes overwhelming in the AP classes, but the students Choose that class it is not required so they know what they are getting into. West Jones prepared me for college and life. In every aspect.

West Jones High School 4

Posted June 30, 2004
One son graduated a year ago, the other is in tenth grade. The opportunities here are excellent for academics, sports, and arts. Test scores are a major concern for the administration. Sometimes too much so. The arts program is exceptional. Some old-timer teachers need to retire! The district requires too many classes for the honors program limiting the student's opportunity to experience many of the elective classes. Overall, a great school that we are proud to be in.

Posted May 19, 2004
I have 2 boys currently in this school, one graduates this week and the third will be starting this fall. actually he starts in the middle school, but his single class room is in the high school. The education students recieve at this school is a good one with a few exceptions. They have a horrible Special Education Program. They do not look to improve this area either. Special ed students are not treated as part of the rest of the school. They are tolerated. they are not intergrated, but treated like a seperate entity. They have an atmosphere of fear when students don't conform to what the administration considers normal. They do not want students to express themselves and think for themselves or question the long outdated ideas found in this area of the country. They need to stop focusing on what kids wear and more on the academics

Posted March 22, 2004
This school is a great school, but some of the rules are too strict. Faculty should be more worried about drugs and grades rather than what color someones dies their hair. I feel that students would be more comfortable in their learning environment if the faculty wasn't so uptight over little things like that. AP classes push too much work on those kids. They have lives too, and I have seen them so stressed out over the work load that they couldn't hardly eat.

Posted January 15, 2004
Exceptional! We have been impressed with every aspect of West Jones, from the teachers, principal, activities, curriculum and students. Students are being taught to be leaders and productive members of society.

West Jones High School
254 Springhill Rd, Laurel, MS  39443
Last modified West Jones High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Jones High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top