K-5 & Ungraded|Public district
1,027 students|Madison Co School Dist

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Pros -When I transferred my oldest son to MSE one month into the school year (2015), the office staff made sure the transition was seemless for my child and I. They listened to my concerns specific to my child and did everything they could to accommodate. -All of the teachers my children have so far have done a great job. They teach the kids several ways to solve a problem. My kids have been allowed to work through problems anyway they want as long as they can explain the process. This is not a one size fits all school. -The school is very vocal about getting and keeping parents involved. Cons -The school is becoming overcrowded. There are 25 kids my sons kindergarten class this year. -The school does spend a lot of money on the grounds, on holiday decoration, etc. It does seem excessive during points of the year. It would be nice to see some of that money spent on the lower performing schools in the district. Overall If not for the issue of overcrowding, I would have given the school 5 stars. MSE tests well because they are committed to helping the students succeed. It all starts with a great administration hiring good teachers. I am confident my children are getting a great education.

First I want to say, this school is a GREAT school! We had a little bit of a rough first grade year, I believe it was because we had a very young teacher. She had only been teaching school for 2 years and this was her first year at station. Some of the children and her just didn't see eye to eye. I do believe she came from a school that the children maybe acted out, then she came to station and was still in that mindset maybe. Overall it's a great school, with a great principal and great teachers. The teachers with more experience I think are a better fit for station, BUT before some of you all have a fit, this is my opinion and I am entitled to it and it's also from my experience at station. Maybe this teacher will get better with time, but she made our first year at station kinda rough. (And no, my child never got in "trouble", and I always taught my child they better go in with a wonderful attitude, even tho hers was not wonderful most of the time).

I have 2 sons (Connor and Austin) in this school, eat lunch with them on a regular basis, and I'm very pleased with what I see going on at MSE. Friendly staff, hassel-free visits, and hard-working, dedicated teachers. My only concern is how MSE and Madison Co. will handle this Common Core stuff. I DO NOT want my kids involved in any way. Besides that, no issues with teachers and staff what so ever. Keep up the great work!!

School spends more effort and money on their lake, outdoor classroom, tennis courts, and grounds than they do on the kids and their education. The school, board , and PTO work hard to make the school's appearance be outstanding in hopes that it hides the facts that the education it provides is average at best and that their State assessment ranking has been dropping.

Madison Station is a fantastic elementary school!! While it ranks in the very top tier on state test scores and academics are excellent, other measures of quality also are met and exceeded. The arts integration is phenomenal and physical education teachers are the best you could imagine. They are very creative and encouraging of every child, no matter their natural abilities. Community service is emphasized and core human values are taught by school counselors, who provide character education to all students during the year. The music program goes above and beyond what most parents might expect, and is provided to all students, not just as an elective. The music teachers incorporate the curriculum for each grade into the musical programs they prepare and present to parents. They don't attempt to develop individual "start" performers, but instead encourage and build the skills of every child. My child's experience at Madison Station has been wonderful - we are already sad about leaving it behind when she finishes 5th grade this year.

Having now moved away from Madison and Madison Station Elementary, I am accutely aware of what a jewel Madison Station really is! I was always impressed with the administration, faculty and staff but it is even more apparant now that we have moved to another state where the "No child left behind" law is taken to the extreme. My children are in the "best" public schools in the area and it, in no way, compares to the education and attention they received while at MSE. Here, they are taught to the test - CRCT. Thank goodness the foundation for their learning started at a quality school like MSE. Both of my children are given busywork if they finish work early or the teachers have post-poned scheduled test because a few students weren't ready. Pitiful. Parental involvment is key for any school to succeed. MSE has more than enough support from parents. For the parent that commented in January 2009, you may want to take a closer look at your own children before accusing the school or not living up to your non-traditional teaching methods.

As much as I like the majority of teachers and staff of MSE, I do NOT feel that children recieve enough personalized attention from the teachers. I believe many children ARE left behind, because of the large classroom sizes (teacher/student ratio). I have subbed at the school in the past, and it has made me even more aware of how difficult it must be for MSE students to reach their full potential.

We have been so pleased with Madison Station! It is an incredible academic, artistic, nurturing school. We feel blessed to live in this school district!

I am not quite sure who your child's teacher is, but lots of worksheets are a no-no at MSE. We all teach very differently, but effectively. We use lots of hands-on activities and implement the arts. We use differentiated instruction, therefore no child is left behind at MSE. Sorry that it has been such a bad experience for the parent below, but if you ask our students, they say learning at Madison Station is fun!

I have a masters degree in education and this is one of the worst schools I have ever seen. I'm sure the school is great compaired to other Mississippi schools, but if you are coming from out of state it is not very good. The teaching methods are very traditional. You will have TONS of worksheets, and they will not learn the basics of science and social studies needed for schools in other states. I have also looked into private schools in the area and they have the same problems. My husband is active duty military, so thankfully we only are here a short time and then we can get my children to a school where they can catch up. The school does not follow the No Child Left Behind Law, so the way reading is taught is unlike most schools in the country.

Last modified Madison Station Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.