Madison Central High School

Public | 10-12 & ungraded | 1359 students

Posted yesterday

Sure the school has a few cliques, what large school doesn't? I wasn't your stereotypical "Madison Type", but I found plenty of friends and awesome extracurriculars to join. The academics are excellent. Not many schools (public or private) can compare. I was offered 3 different full ride scholarships to college. I have never made below an A on any of my college papers thanks to MC's English department. Several of my college professors are trying to convince me to go to grad school. Many of my classmates are in medical/pharm/law/ grad school. My ACT scores, AP test scores, and SATP scores were all very high. If your student works hard, then the teachers here will bend over backwards for them. MC Is what you make it. I could not have had better preparation for college. There is no need to shell out tons of money for fancy private school if you live in Madison.

Posted May 21, 2012

I attended this school four years ago and can honestly say it is one of the best in the state. Every teacher wanted to help with problems and the students who fell behind were the ones who did not care and did not want to put the effort in to do well. The only people who seem to complain about MC are the ones who spit out the terms "racism" and "cliques". Madison has a majority of white people so obviously that's how this school is categorized and Madison is also a very nice town with families who work hard to be able to afford to live there so "cliques" are going to happen. It's a fact when there is money involved. It's about education and if you want to actually earn one, Madison county schools are the way to go.

Posted January 5, 2011

worst school ever.. way to much violence. prejudice and too many drugs and alcohol and too many people there wanna judge you if you dont got alot of money.. worst school ever. i believe tht jackson public schools should have a better rating than madison central

Posted December 14, 2010

Out of the 3 high schools I have recently attended, me being moved around so much, madison central is by far the worst of them all with all there little cliques and these unprofessional teachers. It honestly makes me sick going there and I try to find good things about the place but there are few and far between moments.

Posted January 15, 2010

This is such a great school, and it will continue to be a great school.

Posted August 18, 2008

I have been to 4 different schools in different areas throughout middle school and my 2 years of highschool. Madison Central is thebest school I have been to. I recently moved to a different state. We soon moved back because the schools in our new state were no where near Madison's quality. The students all get along. Everyone has a place. There are so many clubs and extracurricular activities. Students are very supportive of the school teams. Parents are very involved. Teachers always care for their students. There is no other school i'd rather go to.

Posted April 29, 2008

I think the students learn so much and Madison Central has caring teacher .

Posted September 5, 2007

Great education and great group of students.

Posted August 16, 2007

Excellent school. I don't understand why parents in Madison would fork out money to send there kids to private schools!

Posted July 30, 2007

Madison Central gave me a great college prep and strong academic background. In my four years at the school, the teachers and administration showed concern for every one of their students. This year I will be a senior in college and also a student in the University Honors Program. I believe that the wonderful education I received at Madison Central has definately helped me achieve this goal. I transferred to Madison Central in 9th grade after attending a local private school for eight years. I have to say that even though MC is much larger I felt as if I received more personal attention from the teachers there. The amount of discipline and behavioral expectations was also much greater at MC. Now that I am attending college, I have realized that I came much more prepared than some of my current classmates. I have Madison Central to thank for that!

Posted June 29, 2007

I'm completely dumbfounded by some of the negative reviews below. Madison Central is by far the best school I have ever been involved with. Yes, the school is large...However, I think that its size is one of its strengths. Every single student has the opportunity to find where they fit in. They don't have to be a football player or a cheerleader to feel as if they have a place. There are so many opportunities available to students. The teachers are absolutely wonderful. Many faculty members formerly taught at private schools and now teach at MC. Year after year, MC has just as many if not more National Merit semi-finalists and finalists than other schools in the state--public or private. The AP program is wonderful, extracurricular activities are numerous, and the arts are a big part of the school. I wouldn't want to send my children anywhere else.

Posted June 18, 2007

This school is far too large. I wouldn't have my children go there due to the lack of individual attention.

Posted March 28, 2007

I went to MCHS for my freshman and sophomore years about 13 years ago. My parents had just moved my sister and I from NJ to the Jackson area. My JR and SR years we moved back to NJ and went to another school. I am now a high school English teacher. I have to say that out of all the schools I went to MCHS gave me the best foundation for college classes especially writing. The teachers were always willing to help, they had a marvelous music program, and the school spirit was outstanding. How can you judge a school in which you've never been a student?

Posted December 2, 2005

There are no private schools in the area, with the exception of st. Andrews, that have the variety or students, quality of teachers, abundance of extracurricular activities, and variety and quality of curriculum as madison central. As an alumnus and former member of the faculty at madison central, i also have to dispute the claim that the faculty show favoritism towards upper class students. That is a ridiculous accusation. Now, i am going to withold my name because i plan on returning to teaching when my children are older, but i do have to agree about the current principal. She is bringing the school down and burdening the faculty.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 28, 2005

I must admit that I am 'shocked' by some of the previous reviews. I have had two children who recently graduated from Madison Central who received excellent educations. They have done excellent in college as a result of the educations they received at Madison Central. Not only are there quality academic programs, but the music programs are phenomenal, as well as the art programs, sports teams, drama programs, etc. As a 'very involved' parent at the school, I witnessed that all of the extracurricular activities were 'over the top!' I never saw any of the negative politics, favoritism, racism, or any of the other problems that some of the other parents claimed to have witnessed. The teachers that my children have were superior--which was reflected by my children's exceptional ACT scores, PSAT scores, etc. The administration did an excellent job of running the school, and the parents were exceptional volunteers.

Posted February 6, 2005

In preparation of relocating to the Jackson area research of the school systems indicated Madison Central was a top rate school. What a disappointment. Any rating above average (at best) would have to be made by someone who has never been involved in any other school environment. As a mother of three who is very involved in volunteering and as a teacher, this school is my least favorite. My kids have gone to school in three other states and two other countries. After two years of Madison public schools my kids will be transferring to a private school.

Posted January 21, 2005

I imagine that few teachers at Madison Central have seen this sight, otherwise it would have been bombarded with, many more rebuttles of the first posting. With all of the politics involved in decision making who would really admit that there is a problem. Madison Central does little to promote or support diversity. The first posting was correct in saying certain students are dealt with according to whom they are, whom they know, and whom their parents are. Who would tell that secret, especially if they were the one to benefit from it?

Posted September 17, 2004

This school is a Level 5 school, which is the highest rating a school can recieve from the State Department of Education. That should say more than enough about the quality of the education offered at Madison Central. Parent involvement is encouraged and welcomed by all members of the staff. The extracurricular activities are wonderful, every student that wants to be involved in an activity will be able to find one that is right for them. Great opportunities are offered at Madison Central, it is totally up to the student how well he/she preforms. For more information check out MC's web page at www.mcjags.com. There are list of activities and links to some of the activities web pages.

Posted May 28, 2004

The teachers and the four principles are are doing the best they can considering the superintendent of education has the reigns too tight and the school recently had to split (now Ridgeland High and Madison Central) Soon to split again relocating the freshmen. The previous review is totally wrong. This school is considered one of the best schools in the state. No other school in this state has President Bush visited. Why, because we are the best. The current problem is the constant rotation of faculty due to the constant politics with the superintendent of education and the lack of control of the children due to this. On a lighter side, more variety in classes and clubs are available here than in other schools due to its enoromous size. (clubs: key, SGA, astronomy, science, forensics, mock trial, Mu Alpha Theta, Beta, African-American Literature, Literary Magazine, newspaper, JROTC, youth legislature, and more!)

Posted February 23, 2004

Madison Central is a high school that needs a little more work in certain areas. The principal doesn't seem to have any interaction with the students, the school is still very much prejudice, and the teachers let certain students get away with things that other students can't get away with because of the students' parent's financial status. I'll admit that %70 of the teachers and administrators are good people and are excellent educators. The remaining %30 need to be terminated or notified of their behavior because it affects the student body tremendously.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

439 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

414 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

423 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1417 Highland Colony Parkway