Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I moved back to FC as an adult and wanted my family to have the small town experience I did as a child. Unfortunately, I had nothing but problems with the school district starting from when I enrolled my son in kinder and continuing today with my daughter in third grade. For starters, I presume that children are treated based on the small town cliques. Meaning that if you aren't from here, expect to catch hell. The admins at the school are extremely concerned about uniforms, even going as far as suggesting extra belts, etc are kept in the backpack to avoid calls to the parents in the event a belt breaks. However, children of staff can get away with not adhering to the policy as strictly. Further, my son was made to get rid of his mohawk, though numerous other children have them. They even went so far as to take my child's coat during 30 degree weather and this was before a coat policy was in place. Expect your third grader to have triple to quadruple the homework of a sixth grader and to be punished for being human and making mistakes. My daughter is scared to death of the consequences for not doing homework or reading a couple of chapters of her book. Your child will be punished for this. And with the sheer amount of homework sent home, you better hope there are no emergencies that prevent your child's work for being completed. I have attempted to discuss my concerns with teachers only to be dismissed, called a liar, and basically told to get over it. The upper bulding offers some reprieve. However, I recently learned my son is being taught material that was taught in previous years. Social studies was a subject NOT taught at all, but a grade is still given. I just found out that it won't count though. And finally, required reading scores for promotion will be lowered depending on how the school scores as a whole. So, if you're thinking about moving to a dying county with severely limited employment opportunities, I suggest you rethink that decision or look into private or homeschool. But if you're okay with your child being motivated by bullying teachers and punished for being human, then this is the school for you.

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

My son was suspended for defending himself even with video evidence. Theft is looked over as well.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

My son is an aspie (high functioning autism - Aspergers). He is currently 12 and was tested for gifted classes over the summer of his second grade year. He failed the test as a result of not wanting to be there in the middle of summer vacation. I was told he could never be tested again as a result, even though every teacher since has requested he be tested again. The counselors have absolutely no resources regarding autism, but tons regarding ADHD. My daughter a a tested for speech therapy and denied assistance because ALL Mississippi kids say "birfday". Doesn't make it right in my opinion.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I've had the pleasure of some really great teachers educating my children. However, there are a few that more about whether the rules are followed rather than focused on education. The teachers my daughter has had have made her hate school, made her anxious, and at least once a week or more, she comes home tearsbbecause of something stupid that happened at school. The school should NOT use punishment or humiliation as a motivator for educational success especially in such young children.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Children are punished with detention or loss of specials (music, recess) if homework is incomplete.

Love the staff at this school they are very knowledgable and understanding they go above and beyond their means to teach and help our children In all areas of study's they help them where they can understand this new math " common" which as a parent with a college degree is hard for me to understand . This is my second child that has attended this school and as a parent I could not be any happier as to how they teach our children and how much they make sure the children understand the material and communicate with us to keep us informed of any problems or concerns they as teachers may have regarding there grades or behavior . Love this school system

I love this school. My daughter was in a private school for preschool and when she was finishing up K4, I started looking at the public schools. FLES has higher test scores, was rated higher by more than one site, & I went there from junior high until my sophmore year so I knew a little more about the district than someone who has just moved to Franklin county. There's no worries about this school. I was worried about common core but I have only gotten 2 papers from the school (class work she had done) that's from common core, which didn't have any thing to be concerned about. I see way more from that outfit from Pensacola, abeka program, & what looks like two different websites that's for parents that homeschool. I love how involved everyone is there. They knew my child's name within the first month & it wasn't from displanary reasons, she hasn't gotten in trouble at all there so I know it's from them being involved with the children. Also, any time I have a question or concerns, they are there to answer the questions & address my concerns. This is an excellent school & district.

FLES is a great school. My child just entered the 2nd grade and I have been greatly pleased each year. The teachers and principal go above and beyond. Keep up the good work!

FLES is a great school. The children comes first. They understand children are the future and the teachers along with the principal makes sure at FLES all children's learning needs are met.

It is a great school that provides good education for kids

Last modified Franklin Lower Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.