Moss Point High School

Public | 9-12 | 667 students

Posted November 6, 2013

From the comments that are below, some of the information may be true but honestly what school do you know that's not going to support their football team?! I mean really though. Everyone always talk down on Moss Point School District but never put forth the effort to try and build it up. I am an Alumni and I must say that the education I received from MPSD is one that has lead me onto a path of achievement. I am currently a senior in college and is looking forward to attending grad school. Individuals can say what they want about the school district but overall Moss Point is filled with intelligent individuals that just needs a little guidance. I will for sure give back to the city because I would like to pave the way for someone else, as what was done for me. Most of my teachers in the school district were individuals that I looked up to and they encouraged me to do my best at whatever i engage myself in. Its not the school district that determines an individual's success it is that individual's mindset and the presence of motivating adults that lead by example that's in their lives. I LOVE THEE MOSS POINT SCHOOL DISTRICT and will forever be grateful!!! -Former Homecoming Queen

Posted September 14, 2013

I went to moss point High and this school is terrible. The teachers do not care, they use bad language around the students, they can't control the kids and they get too friendly with them. Football is all they care about and by the way they don't do so hot anyways, they lose about 95% of their games. Most of the students on the team are failing all of their classes but they allow them to play. Yes, the school has nice technology, but they have been ruined and vandalized by the students. At the pep rally they play inappropriate music that so they can try to "bribe" the students into coming to the activities. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE.

Posted July 11, 2013

This is school is horrible. They should have shut it down. Some of the teachers do not care about the bullying and misbehaving. They do not teach you well enough if you need help in a subject to them it's like an "oh well" it's mostly a segregated school anyway. They basically pass you if you show up to school! Why is it still open? And it surprises me that they can rebuild a new nice middle school but leave the high schoolers in molded walls etc. etc. with nasty food and poor nutrition. I had to drop out because the administration did not care and they let students bully and run wild. So thanks "no child left behind" many where left behind due to this and many more reasons. Pitiful school and town.

Posted November 23, 2010

Well, with a teacher now beaten by the students, does anyone get the idea yet? This school, like the town, is only interested in how well the football team performs. Academics and teaching any values or appreciation for education and culture are long gone from this area. Avoid this town and the school like the plague.

Posted November 22, 2009

I attend MPHS as a 9th grader. The school is okay but it could be better. Something that people wrote is so true and other are pretty close. But yes most times they do care more about football and what you are wearing that day. But over all it is a pretty good school, we have nice books, technology, and people that care. I am an A student and recieved a letter from The MS School of Math and Science.

Posted January 18, 2008

As a student here,it has been proven that moss point is leading in technology, scholarships,and productive members of our community. Moss point is the only school on the coast to have one of its students chosen for the Bill Gates Scholarship. That speaks volumes. The students are just what the name says, that get in trouble and consequences are dealt. The administration is outstanding and teacher do care.

Posted January 3, 2008

Lack of structure and starts with principals

Posted September 10, 2007

As a former student at Moss Point, I can only relate to my experience there. There was such a lack of structure in the school. Absolutely nothing there was directed toward performing arts or asthetic pursuits. My education there was thanks to my family. I agree with the statements that sports are the most important thing there. They (sports) rule supreme, and education is left to the individual, not the school. The administration is aloof, self engrossed and removed from the reality of providing a quality education with any exposure to the arts. Unfortunately, the school reflects a lot of the character of the city.

Posted May 21, 2007

Moss Point High School is one of the worse schools in the state! It is full of teachers and kids who dont care and are there more for the social life than to learn. They need to start doing more about discipline, and quit being scared of the students.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 27, 2007

I am a current student at Moss Point High School. I do not agree with the poor ratings given to our school. I feel the classrooms are structured well and the principal does the best of his ability to make this school a safe learning environment. People often mention the faults of our school, but fail to mention the positive factors. We are the only school on the Mississippi Gulf Coast with an ActivBoard in almost every classroom and several classrooms with a full set of computers. I feel Moss Point School District is doing a good job and should be commended!

Posted October 4, 2006

This school is horrible. I hate that my child has to attend it due to being in this school district. I feel that a lot problems are because of the current principal. It's his way or no way. He does not like input from any other source. The teachers have given up and the children are left to learn on their own. If they have problems with a subject, they would be better off with a tutor instead of most of the teachers that are there now.

Posted May 3, 2006

The admin, teachers, and (most)students are trying hard. We are a safe school with many oppertunities for success. MPHS provides quality instruction, first rate technology, NEW textbooks (when needed).

Posted March 22, 2006

Moss Point is one of the best schools in Jackson County. Im a student here. Most people think we only care about sport. If those people who are in this district saying these thinks would take care of the problem at home, Moss Point High would not have these 'so called' problems to deal with.

Posted February 21, 2006

I am a former student of Moss Point High school and I totally agree with the majority that this is the most horrible school on the coast. The morale of the students is very low. Nearly every kid in the school thought that it was a joke. They felt like there was no point in even being there. There seemed to be very few teachers who really cared about their students actually learning or that could even remember your name unless you were the class clown who acted out all of the time. The principal was also uninvolved. My kids will not go to this school, ever! It is by the grace of God that I am going to college now and believe me, Moss Point High School had nothing to do with my getting there. Beware of Moss Point High School.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 15, 2005

I submitted an entry during December 2004 that stated what I believed the problems may have been in this district. I believe that we are starting to correct some of the problems within this district. It is work in progress but I believe that this district needs more parental involvment. If this school district could get the community involved more then this district will reach its goal of becoming a level 5. We have implemented a rigorous curriculum. Our technology department is second to none. A great deal of students have begun taking college courses in our dual enrollment program. With the present administration we are scheduled to leap from a level 2 to a level 4 school. If this can take place in one year just think what would be possible if your child joined us in our pursuit of 'Destination Level 5'.

Posted June 1, 2005

Academic Programs are lacking because the textbooks are outdated or non-existant. The Music program is one of the best anywhere. Although the arts programs are small and lack equipment and modern rooms, they try hard. Parents mostly show up to complain. Parent teacher conference day is mostly another late day that teachers stay but parents do not show up. This school district layed off teachers as one of the first in the state do cut the budget at the first sign of shortfall from state funding. Some student's do well that work hard and try hard. Some student's have parents and teachers that do not care. Most problems are from discipline and drugs and gangs.

Posted February 9, 2005

As for people saying that moss point don't have quality programs, the school has a lot of good programs. They just got a polymer science program and not to mention tiger tales,drama,photography,and art. We have one of the best academic programs in the state it is just how we use them. As for extracurricular activities the band is one of the top bands in the state. If it wasn't for Dr.Harper the band would still be a joke. We have more art programs than most schools. As for parental involvement, half of the parents spend most of their time trying to tear the school down rather than help it. Instead of them complaing so much they ought to try to get in the school district and do something about it. The kids in moss point are seen as being the dumbest kids on the coast but we are not.

Posted January 29, 2005

This school needs new leadership and district administration.

Posted December 28, 2004

I am concerned that personal feelings have been displayed and not the accurate information dealing with the Moss Point School District. As an instructor working in the school district, I will say that the biggest problem within the district isn't the administration but the lack of support from the parents. It isn't the responsibility of the school district to lay the foundation of discipline. We are here to educate the students and not do what the parents should have done a long time ago. This school district has been known for athletics for years and never academics. I will be the first to admit that there is a problem. There is no quick fix but with the current administration in place, we will see change. We have begun to look at sports as being exactly what it is...An Extracurricula Activity. This problem didn't begin yesterday and it will not end tomorrow.

Posted September 13, 2004

It is evident that the persons sharing their feedback are misinformed. The athletic program did not become so important in recent years. That has been the case long before the new administration took over. It is also almost laughable that someone could try to make the point that this administration does not put emphasis on academics. Who before this administration added to the curriculum to ensure that students had a chance to participate in as many AP classes, tech prep, polymer science and the like? As for parental involvement...there you have a point. There are parents within the district that work hard at trying to better inform the communities of the need for more active involvement. There is something to be learned about those of us who choose to complain and point fingers and do nothing to help.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

161 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

165 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education