J Z George High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 297 students

Posted September 28, 2011

I just want to say that our school needs to get more involved with the See you at the pole! Olivia, my niece was the only one that showed up this morning! I am Soooo Proud of her. But what does that say about our school. If you want to see a change in the school to the better, do more for God. Pray. Pray. Pray.

Posted July 21, 2008

This school is good because it has so many choices for vocational classes. The principal was charismatic and friendly, although rumor has it that J.Z. George has a new female principal this year. There is an excellent gifted program, too, for students of superior intellect. (There are several at J.Z. George.)

Posted January 17, 2008

Well, J.Z. George was a pretty good school when I attended. I think that they should keep up the good work. Especially, when they built a new gym.

Posted August 9, 2007

I graduated from George in 2003. Since I have left the school has grown. Everything that we wanted while we were there is happening. There is an atmosphere of family with all the staff, from security to cooks in the kitchen. George gave me the support I needed to grow. With the new principal, James Gant, this school is headed to a bright future. And I believe he will bring many needed programs to the school and area.

Posted March 30, 2006

J.Z. George was a great school. It taught me the importance of friendship and understanding differences in people. There could be a boost in the variety of extra-activities avaliable for students. Overall I think more schools should be like George!

Posted May 28, 2005

MY over all look at this school is not good my kids have been going to george since 2002 it has steady went down teachers are good it is the.The head leadership isn,t all that.I am sorry to say they wont be back.

Posted September 1, 2004

Jz george is an awesome learning facility that makes all the students feel at 'home' in Carrollton, out in the country. I graduated there in 2003 and am not at ole miss. The students I graduated with are still good friends of mine. I will never forget the teachers and staff that helped me get where I am today. Besides the need for activities, it is a great school and would do it all over again.

Posted July 5, 2004

J. Z. George is a very nice school. But it just has a lot of misunderstood students. Things that the school needs to become a good school like better books, a gym, a band, and better teachers. It just doesn't have. It is not a bad school to attend but certainly not the best. But it has a great princpal, Dr. Paul Miller.

Posted February 10, 2004

Last two years George has become a much better school. sports and bands need a improvments but it will come. It all so need a booster club for sports.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

68 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 86%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

900 George St