Ocean Springs High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 15 students

Posted February 7, 2012

My two sons attend Magnolia Elementary, Middle School, and High School in Ocean Springs. Schools are great. The Highschool JROTC program, Band, sports etc all are solid programs. The schools and the community are why I moved from Biloxi to Ocean Springs; I never regretted the move.

Posted February 7, 2012

My son loved Ocean Springs Schools. He is now proudly serving in the United States Air Force.

Posted June 21, 2009

We moved here in 2004 from northeast Alabama. We specifically chose Ocean Springs when we transferred as a result of my husband's job. We read excellent reviews online about the schools, and we have not been disappointed. Principals, teachers, coaches and counselors have been excellent, and our children have received a quality education! I have seen what a poor school system looks like, folks. Those who deride Ocean Springs School System need to visit other systems to appreciate what is here!!

Posted October 15, 2008

As a former student of O.S.H.S I was thrilled with the prospect of my children graduating from the same school district as I did. Unfortunately it was not the school I remembered. The students did not welcome my child, as a matter of fact, no one even spoke to her. Several of her teachers were more 'friends' with the students than teachers, and in one class they did nothing but watch movies. I do have to say her Pre-AP English teacher was amazing. Because we moved to another district my child now attends another school. I still feel O.S.H.S is a good school, but not what it use to be. More emphasis needs to be placed on education rather than teacher/student friendships.

Posted October 1, 2008

Most of the time teachers at list in 10th grade are absent , so the students have subtitutes teachers creating a waste of time for the sutdents because they just talk and play, I was told that education level in the state of MS, was low and now with everything that I know , I realize is true. Also some teachers don't help in class and yell at the sudents.

Posted July 29, 2008

My child reported that they liked all their teachers. I think teachers have encouraged my student to grow in some ways. The college counselor is very helpful! In saying that, there are some issues at this school with no teaching/learning in some classes, lots of movie watching, free time, and discipline issues. I hear wonderful things about a near-by school called St. Martin. If I had a chance to do it all again I would have moved into that school district. Good Points are Lots of opportunity for variety of classes, AP, IB program, extra curricular, and great sports. At this time I see trailers set up outside for the 2008-2009 year.

Posted July 22, 2008

I found OS schools to be lacking a great deal. There was little effort for effective communication at all levels and general lack of interest in helping me educate my child. I would recommend anyone who can afford private school to explore that avenue.

Posted March 24, 2008

This school was absolutley the worst school my child has ever attended, they do hardly any REAL work but instead watch movies and talk on their cell phones. the teachers here just want a paycheck and are not preparing our young adults for college or life, stay away from this school at all costs if you want your children to succeed!!!

Posted April 12, 2007

Ocean Springs was the best highschool I have ever attended! I was also displaced during Hurricane Katrina and I now attend a school with less activities, a smaller academic program, and lower test grades. The teachers at Ocean Springs are dedicated to making sure that every student has the learning experience they need to continue on to a university. Ocean Springs science program was broad including things such as Marine Biology, which is not offered at my new school, and is very rare among other schools. It also has a great math program, I love math now because of that. The school is also very spirited about all the extracurricular activities, such as football. The band is amazing, the best band I have every heard, coming from a high school, and I have already attended two other high schools. It is a great school.

Posted November 30, 2006

Ocean Springs High School was one of the best high schools I went to. I was displaced due to Katrina and where I am now, is in now way comparable to OSHS. The faculty is great, the activites offered were great and well known. I highly recommend OSHS for any family that is moving or has moved to Ocean Springs.

Posted November 27, 2006

I had posted on this site during my freshman year of high school, praising the school. I am now a junior and my feelings haven't changed. Principals have changed, and administrators as well, but the school adjusted quickly and remains a pleasant and fun place to learn. There are certain teachers who are 100% dedicated to their students and who make learning a blast. They made subjects that used to be difficult for me easy to understand (Mrs.Cook!) The guidance counselors will forever remain useless. Its true what was stated above. They will nark on anyone who goes to them for personal help or advice, and more than once my schedule has been messed with horribly with no help from them. Mr. Joe (who corrects their mistakes) has done an amazing job with the band. Music, sports and academics are of great importance. Extracurricular activities remain in abundance. Ocean Springs is a terrific school!

Posted October 23, 2006

I teach ACT prep classes to students from all over. I have had only great students coming to me from Ocean Springs High School. They are well prepared academically and are a pleasure to teach. The teachers and administrators and parents are doing a lot of good things for these students. You can quote me, Dr. Lanny Acosta
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted August 12, 2006

Ocean Springs School District is definitely one of the best any student can attend. It has won many national and state awards to due academic and athletic performance. Test scores have continually risen, contrary to what an earlier post stated. OSHS is completely about the student. So many classes are offered, that I regret not being able to take all of them, as I am a student here. The best example of the administration showing concern for the students is the clubs and activities that are always taking place. One of the principals has actually set up two clubs, the Sound Hounds (for high school bands) and the Skate Hounds (for skateboarders), all because he listened to what the students here wanted from their school. All these comments said about lack of communication are inexistent so far in my 8 years with the OS School District.

Posted June 28, 2006

Ocean Springs High School is an excellent school for all new parents. The school system prepares your kid(s)for college.

Posted December 27, 2005

Mr. Hirsh and Entire Staff at OSHS. We, (like many of us) are displaced in Md. I have three daughters, one was in OSHS, another was in OSMS and my youngest in Magnolia Park. We miss these schools more than you will ever know. We can honestly say from experience, there is no comparison. These three schools are the very best! Missed Tremedously, The Bennett Family, Ron, Phyllis, Bridget, Sarah and Morgan

Posted October 3, 2005

This is probably the best school ive ever been to. If you want a good school i highly recommend this one.

Posted September 23, 2005

I'm currently a junior at OSHS, and I must say that it is an utter disappointment. Although the teachers are wonderful, their teaching abilities are restrained by the schools lack of capability in other aspects. The administrators do nothing; they only look for quick solutions. Also, they have actually admitted that they are harder on the 'good kids' in order to maintain an illusion of equality. Meanwhile, the counselors are useless. When you come in with a personal problem, they ignore privacy clauses altogther and tell your teachers/parents whatever's said. Classes are overcrowded/badly scheduled. I had a class changed, but it took me 5 visits in the course of 3 days to accomplish anything. Disappointing at best.

Posted September 6, 2005

I have been going to schools in the Ocean Springs School District since I was in kindergarten. Every year I look forward to going back to school after summer break. The teachers are awesome and if I ever need help with anything, they will happily help me. There is a wide range of elective classes to choose from and everyone can find something that they will enjoy. I highly reccomend this school district no matter which school your child will be going to.

Posted August 25, 2005

This school is a very well thought out. There is only one thing that really bothers is the long lunch line. All the teachers, prinicipals, security guard, conselors, and secertaries, are best people the handle. They will help your child to reach success. They will help any one pass the HORRIBLE state test required for graduation. I highly RECOMMEND this school for the parents who want their childrens to have a good school education. It's a lots of fun here at OSHS. My parents my a good choice for education by sending me to OSHS. I am a senior 'Class of 2006.'

Posted March 18, 2005

Ocean Springs High School as well as the OS School District are among the best you will find anywhere. My daughter graduated from OSHS in and couldn't have been more prepared for LSU. The teachers were wonderful, the guidance counselors were very attentive and helpful, and the administration showed genuine concern and care for all the students. My daughter was very successful in high school and continues to be in college, no doubt to the quality of instruction she received from Ocean Springs High School. This is an opportunity you do not want to pass up.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

371 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

371 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

439 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

371 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 33%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6701 Old Spanish Trail