6-8 & Ungraded|Public district
1,307 students|Ocean Springs School Dist

Bad
Good

We moved here from out of town, and based our home purchase on the information online about Ocean Springs schools. I just want others to be aware that experiences vary depending on teacher. Overall the academics and extracurricular offerings are very good. The social atmosphere in Ocean Springs is only welcoming if your child fits right in to the sports or cheerleader mold. Some teachers actually contribute to student gossip. The administrative staff is responsive and professional, but if I had known how this would work out socially for my child, I would have chosen Pascagoula or Pass Christian.

OSMS changed me a lot for the better. I learned a lot of new things and all the teachers are very supportive. I think this school has made me a better person.

Husband was transferred and we moved into Ocean Springs because of the schools. However I am very disappointed. The Special Ed team is also not very good. We have lived in a lot of states and this district is one of the worst my kids have attended.

My son started OSMS this year as a 6th grader. He has transitioned very well and enjoys going to school. This school has an excellent band program that is recognized as the best in all of the Gulf Coast! My son never was interested in music or played an instrument until this year. I feel he has benefitted academically and socially from his involvment with the program. Communication with the teachers and staff is great IF it is initiated by the parent. Most to all information coming from the school must be gotten from their special website and it is the parent/students responsibility to seek it out. It is important to note that the district is currently building a new high school and they have plans to turn the old highschool in to a true "middle" school housing 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. This should solve any overcrowding issues.

We have two daughters at OSMS and I feel they are receiving excellent educations! When there is a problem or issue, I have found counselors to be very responsive and helpful. We have lived here just a little more than eight months, spanning two school years. Yes, it took our daughters a bit of time to make friends- it is hard as kids get older. There is some bullying but administration has tried to address this with special programs and 'teen leadership' classes. I would never excuse or sit back for any bullying but, sadly, it is part of the Middle School age group. Our daughters have become involved in various extra-curricular activities, love some of their teachers and like most of them, are genuinely happy to go to school, and have made some excellent friends.

The class offerings are good, but there is never enough room in the good classes and some kids get shortchanged. If your kid is at all 'different', he/she will be treated like a problem, not a person. Bullying is horrible and not much is done about it. Even when someone gets hurt it gets brushed under the rug or they find a way to suspend everybody.

this school is the best school i've ever been to

I went all three years through this school, and I am now in 9th grade. This school system is terrible. I am actually being pulled out of Ocean Springs, and being put into St. Martin. This school has horrible standards, and the administration has no understanding of the students educational needs. Okay teachers, but terrible bullying problems, and horrible education. By far a terrible school for anyone. I don't recommend this to anyone at all.

I have read some of these reviews about how great OSMS is and I had to laugh. As a parent of a special needs child in this school, I am very dissapointed at how the administration is running the school expecially how they treat children with disabilities. OSMS has a big problem with bulling, which they continue to ignore. They only teach what is nessisary for the students to pass state test. The teachers are not all good. Principals are never around when needed and don't communicate with parents. if you are thinking about putting your child in this school I would keep searching, but if you have no other choice then make sure your child has an advocate to protect their rights. I don't recommend this school to anyone.

I have been at OSMS since 6th grade, I am now in 8th grade.Overall the school is pretty good, but there are racial boundries even some of te teachers carry out. There is also lot of bullying towards kids who are slower than most. The teachers are good,yet they most care about how we do on state tests. Admistration usually dosent care about bullying unless it is extremely overbaring.

Last modified Ocean Springs Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.