No rating

Desoto County Academy

Private | PK-12 | 165 students

Our school is best known for providing an affordable Christian education.

Living in Olive Branch

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $161,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted Saturday, July 26, 2014

Worst decision of our life. We made the mistake of sending our child here for first grade. The teachers are mostly friends and/or family of Vicky. We were told that teachers had degrees, certification, etc. All lies. I talked to several teachers and they did not even have an associate's degree or any college courses. The certification is for Abeka which not to take away from Abeka curriculum, because it is awesome, but it is not anything like a certified teacher whom has a bachelor's and/or master's and has taken the certified teacher's test Praxis. The school is cheap as far as tuition, but keep in mind you get exactly what you pay for. There are nice teachers there and good curriculum, but there are no REAL QUALIFICATIONS. They also have tons of fundraisers and the kids do a lot of color. If your child has nowhere else to go I would say homeschool them. We put our child in a GREAT public school and it took many months to bring our child up to the current grade level. I regret on a daily basis that we ever chose Desoto County Academy. This school will not help your child succeed. It is like buying a cheap toy from Wal-Mart that is made in China, it is a waste of money and time.

Posted May 9, 2014

This is our first year at DCA. My child struggled in the public schools, but the extra attention provided by DCA has allowed her to excel. We are very pleased. -J

Posted April 29, 2014

My child has attended this school for the past two years and he loves it. The teachers are great and the abeka curriculum is fantastic. He has really improved since he started at DCA.

Posted November 12, 2013

DCA is a school where everyone that works there cares about the students and helping them succeed. I've never seen a school with so many people that really and truly, honestly care about the kids.

Posted October 9, 2013

My kids are doing very well in this school and they are really enjoying it.

Posted October 4, 2013

Do not be misled; I am a parent with children at this school and I can tell you that they do not have a good plan for the growth that has occurred this year. There are not enough teachers for some classes; my middle-school child's class has a student teacher ratio of 23-1; higher than all but one public school; I chose this school because of the published small class size. I am concerned about how continued growth will impact the school and the children; as it is, the school's facilities are can barely handle their current enrollment. I love the ABEKA curriculum; the staff is knowledgeable and pleasant, there is just not enough! The tuition rate is extremely reasonable. I would be willing to pay a higher tuition if it would go toward hiring additional teachers and infrastructure improvements in order to accommodate the growth. As it stands, I am considering not re-enrolling my youngest child next year unless the student-teacher ratio improves.

Posted October 2, 2013

We absolutely LOVE this school! Extremely reasonable tuition, great teachers and curriculum. Its everything we were looking for!

Posted September 18, 2013

This school is outstanding with a great location, staff / teachers, curriculum, and most importantly a Christian environment where every child fits in. Make sure you check this school out, if you are thinking about taking your child out of the public school system. We struggled with that descision, but after taking a tour and talking with the staff it was an easy descision and one that we are very happy with.

Posted September 10, 2013

My kids are loving this school and their teachers are amazing. A huge difference over the crowded public schools!

Posted September 3, 2013

Desoto County Academy in 1 word = Awesome! They provide a great Christian education for all ages.

Posted August 30, 2013

This is a great school and my kids are loving it again this year. Thanks DCA!

Posted August 30, 2013

This school has really grown and now there are over 165 students! They are using new Abeka curriculum that is Christian faith based. Great student to teacher ratio. Archery is starting this fall with other sports to follow. My son loves this school! 6th grade parent.

Posted August 16, 2013

My child just started preschool at DAC. So far, he loves it. I have been pleased thus far as well. The first day he came home, he said, "That was Awesome!" I don't have to put up a fight in the mornings. He is ready to go. He actually practices the work that he performed at school at night without me initiating it. I look forward to the years to come.

Posted August 3, 2012

My daughter went here for 2 years (6th and 7th grades). Sixth grade was great. Great teacher, great principal that kept order and respect. Seventh grade was horrible. Teacher didn't complete the books (75% of math) and was also the new principal, which is too many roles for one person. When the board was approached they were very defensive with regard to problems and an attempt to solve same. Will NOT be back.

Posted October 3, 2010

This school is awesome. My child was there for 4 years then I decided to let my child attend another private Catholic school. I am not too happy there and will be returning my child next year! This school truly does teach the children Christian values and all of my other children will be attending DCA!

Posted July 27, 2010

This is an awesome little private school, my son attended last year for 2nd grade. His teacher and staff made extra effort to make sure I was informed of everything about his day from his grades to his behavior. I felt so intuned with everything overall! I absoultely love the fact that he is learning about religion as well as using the Beca curriculum. He loves getting up and going to school each day and I love that he is happy! He will definately be attending next year!

Posted May 14, 2010

My daughter just finished 1st grade and my son pre-k4. This is a wonderful school. Not only are they taught about religion and how to be good Christians, but they are up to date with the Beca curriculum. Some of their books are old in the library, but to me, this assures me that they will be taught about history and not forget the important things. The parents could be a bit more involved. I know it is hard when you work, but as a parent, we need to make sure we fullfill out commitments. The staff is very professional and friendly. They do not hesitate to discipline a child if needed. Overall, I can not imagine my kids going to a public school or even another private

Posted December 14, 2009

please consider a different school staff is very rude and the books are so old they ones my child has is back in the 1970's

Posted May 4, 2009

This is a great school everyone is very friendly and they really do work with the kids and parents and they turely care this is the 1st year i have sent my kids there and they will be going there next year

Posted September 2, 2008

I have gone to DCA since kindergarden,and now i am n 7th grade this school has alot of love and learning in it i can not imagine going to another school
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Christian
Fax number
  • (662) 895-6385

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • German
  • Latin
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Book/reading club
  • Yearbook

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)