Olive Branch Intermediate School

Public | 4-5 & ungraded | 564 students

Posted September 18, 2014

Our son is in his second year at OBIS. We have encountered great and caring teachers and staff during this time.

Posted February 2, 2013

My son hated this school. His teacher was very mean and he started to hate reading due to the rigid requirements that they get grades for reading AR books. I thought AR was supposed to be a motivational reading program, not a punishment.

Posted February 28, 2011

I think this is a GREAT school with dedicated and caring teachers and administrators. The students are encouraged in so many ways to always do their best. The teachers promote independence and growth to help prepare the students for Middle School. I have two children. One is in 7th grade and the other is in 5th. Both of my children have told me that OB Intermediate is their favorite school. It is by far MY favorite. I have felt welcome there since the first day I entered the school. The principals are friendly and outgoing. The teachers are dedicated and work harder than most of us can imagine for too little pay. I feel very fortunate that my children are able to attend this school. I know they are safe, well cared for, and being challenged academically. Thank you OBIS.

Posted November 16, 2010

I suppose compared to some school this one is ok. I find that they are a bit militant, which is stifling to creativity, independence and growth. The lack of respect for the parents is disappointing and the lunch people make my child feel bad for being in the free lunch program. I feel that there is always an us vs them attitude every time I have to deal with the school. My son's teacher is an exceptional teacher though. She is the reason I have not pulled my son out to homeschool him yet. She's definitely one of the best teachers I've had the pleasure of working with to educate my child.

Posted February 26, 2009

I am a parent of 2 children that go here. I am NOT at all impressed with the fact that they want us to sign a contract that states the Parents are the power behind the pupil. Since when? If the parents are the Power behind the pupils then what may I ask are we paying and employing these teachers and school facilty for? They have our children all day. They are the Power behind the Pupil. We the parents are the Power behind what goes on at home. Just another way to push off their responsibilities onto the parents and make us responsible when they fail. We are looking at moving to Arlington TN where the school ratings are 5 star across the board.

Posted June 14, 2006

2005-06 was our first year in OBIS, and we haven't seen anything that has excited us at this point. My son spent K4-4 at a private school & started attending here once we moved to the area. We moved to the area for the schools and now we are shopping for another private school.

Posted March 31, 2006

This has been my daughter's first year at this school. She thinks it is alright and I agree. We are really happy with her teacher but I do not like all the paddling that goes on there.

Posted September 27, 2004

Three of my four children have been stusents at this school. I am looking forward to my fouth to attend. This school has been, by far, the best school in our district. The prinicipals have a geniune concern for the children and help the children continue to smile and thrive. The teachers are just as excellent!

Posted January 16, 2004

They are a wonderful group of people. Ms.Cheyne is the music teacher and she challenges and motivates her students to excel. She is an asset to Olive Branch Schools.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

250 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

265 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 52%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8631 East Pigeon Roost Rd