Picayune Junior High School

Public | 7-8 & ungraded | 13 students

Posted June 18, 2014

I am reading the reviews I am new to picayune should I be worry about sending my kids here.

Posted October 24, 2013

The Picayune Junior High school is a great school. The only thing I don't like about it is all the rules. Some of them are just ridiculous. 7/10.

Posted July 15, 2009

I absoulutly hate this school! The school has barley any electives and after school activities. The environment is terrible. We are treated like juvinile deliquints. It feels like we're in juvie or private school. If we really wanted to go to private school or juvie, then we would go, but no we are going to PJHS. They dont trust us at all and the princable is kinda cheesey and up-tight. As a privlage we get to wear jeans on fridays...sometimes. We should be able to wear jeans all the time. The staff is okay, but the school is just terrible... i begged my mom to home-school me because thats how much i hated it!

Posted January 15, 2009

I went to the Picayune Junior High School not too long ago. Most teachers used to care about is finding kids to punish. They used to punish kids for everything. It was a strict school with limited freedom. They would not let you do anything. They care more about finding kids to punish instead of giving us education. They even gave us contests just to come to school. The uniform is 100% violation to freedom. We should have been able to wear our clothes and get to have lockers, but that freedom was taken away because of some kids a few years back. Overall, I hated it.

Posted April 29, 2007

I think it is a good school with a lot to offer. However, it should offer some more advanced classes. This school system has way to much politics involved in its decisions. It isn't what's best for the kids, it is what the state will like. They are too worried about NCLB that they forget about the kids that breeze by the entire year, not challenged a bit. Not to mention, the student body here doesn't present the best environment. I think the big problem is, the school has a rule against everything, instead of limiting. I think if the school treated kids more like adults, they would act more like adults. But when you bombard them with all kinds of restrictions, they rebel. But I have learned a good deal at this school and they have a lot of great teachers here. That's about it. Thanks.

Posted January 24, 2007

As a current student there I think it is a very nice school. The teachers are great, the principal and the assistant principal are awsome, & it has fun extra-curricular activities for us to get involved in. The one thing that me and my parents do not like about the school is the uniform policy. We think we should be able to wear regular clothes.

Posted April 24, 2006

This is a very weak school system, with the small-town mentality of sports and dance over curriculum. My child has had to bus to a nearby school district to take advanced courses, and will be leaving the district as a result of the poor academic fare offered. Exceedingly poor school district.

Posted February 24, 2005

Great school, wonderful new technology in the classroom. Family atmosphere, LEVEL 5 school!

Posted October 5, 2004

My experience with this school was not a pleasant one. I had one child that went through this school and I believe it made him lose interest in school. The teachers from my experience were not very interested in parent involvement. Everything was focused on behavior and what the student is doing wrong. I have not heard any good things about the school. I have since moved out of the area since I have 2 more children and did not want them to go through that school. I have a friend that her 3 children dropped out in jr. High. They have mean spirited people working in that school. There are some good teachers but, there are few. I believe it flows from the head. Who is in charge? They definitely need a change.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 63% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

300 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 93% in 2012.

296 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 73%N/A71%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

702 Goodyear Blvd