Shannon High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 9 students

Posted July 28, 2014

I use to go to Shannon schools and can personal say WORST school ever. Some of the teachers are nice but others arent that good at least thats how it was for me maybe it wasn't as bad for others. Though I don't recommend this school.

Posted January 1, 2011

Being that I was a student at this school all my life aside from 1 year, i'm going to say that this school is NOT recommended for any student. The courses are too easy, and isn't a challenge. When I graduated and transferred, I was not prepared and failed to learn stuff that was supposed to have been taught to me years ago; Drugs and tobacco were brought on campus on multiple occassions and were sometimes exchanged during class... I personally believe that some teachers were under-qualified and COULD NOT TEACH. I remember when it was severely cold outside, and ALL the teachers stayed in the building, and MADE the students remain outside... some teen's lips were actually turning blue from this.. even when we complained about it. The school is like a family, but concerning it's regulations, it could be enforced better.

Posted May 25, 2010

This is possibly one of the WORST schools around this area for anyone to attend!

Posted September 9, 2008

I have been attending this school every since I have been in the first grade. I love the environment and the atmosphere. Granted, there are misbehaved children but what school doesnt? Shannon is a family, friendly town and school that I am so very proud to be a student of. I have learned a great deal of information in my 11 years of education here. I love Shannon High School and I soon will be a proud graduate from there.

Posted April 11, 2008

It is an ok school but there are too many bad students who disrespect my classmates, teachers, and me. Learning wise it depends on if your class is good or bad. If you have a bad class it is sometimes hard to do activites and learn more.

Posted December 21, 2007

A good school is graded by a good parent. We have the right people in the right place in our schools and great leaders putting them there. There are always things that we could complain about anywhere. There is so much work being done that no one ever sees. Its a business that creates a learning place for children that won't be molded by the school they attend but by the parents they share the same roof with. Lets wake up be responsible parents and get involved with your school programs. Team work equals a great team and an excellent school. Get involved and decide.

Posted April 21, 2007

Great Family freindly school
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 28, 2005

I think Shannon High School is a great school. They provide great leadership and a great education to our children. The families are very supportive of the schools needs. I feel that my children are safe and discplined as needed. I feel that the Principal has done a fine job with our school as well as his facility. We may not be a big city school but we are a well knit community with lots of heart. SBest

Posted December 23, 2004

I think that shannon school is a great learning facility. Although, I heard that there was a recent fight occured. How am I going to be sure that my child is going to be safe in a public school like this. I want to be sure that my child will be safe in school and get a good education, without having to worry if hes going to be picked on by his/her peirs about how he/she looks or what color he/she is. Other than that I think that the extracurricular activities are great. Shannon School should be a small town school where all the kids and teachers know each other and it should be kinda like Hatley High School. Back to the extracurricular activities the kids should have a student council and a dance commity. That would be great to give the kids something to do.

Posted November 17, 2004

My daughter will be a 3rd generation graduate of SHS. She has received a good education. The staff is friendly. Very few fights occur. We have a great sports program with parental involvement.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 97% in 2012.

120 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Source: Mississippi Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 81%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

218 Cherry St