Desoto Central Elementary School

Public | 3-5 & ungraded | 5 students

Posted January 24, 2013

This our first year in this state and this school district. So far we are very pleased with the school and the staff. Yes, the principal is a bit intimidating and needs to loosen up a bit. I have not met her face to face, for there has been no need to. I have had other parent's tell me that she is a bit too serious for an elementary school environment. It is a HUGE school district and that is one thing we were overwhelmed with. Plus they do just about all their communication online.

Posted April 17, 2011

I have a child with autism and Desoto Central has been a true blessing. They work with our entire family to ensure he gets what he needs. I am positive my child would never have received the speicialize attention and help at any other school. He is in the third grade, Ms Page's class and thriving. I also compliment the principal, her focus is on being a great student but also being a great person. Teaching children to do the right thing is just as important to me. This is a GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted July 3, 2009

Awful experience at Desoto Central. The principal is a monster to children and parents. Beware of putting your child in this school!

Posted September 19, 2008

My daughter is in third grade in Mrs. Powell's class. She loves her teacher and her teacher loves her too. Yes they have homework but it is not too much and none on Wed. or weekends. Mrs. Powell is wonderful and the principal Mrs. W. is all about these children being a valuable part of our community and country. This year the theme is United We Stand. Great for shaping little patriotic americans in Desoto County.

Posted September 16, 2008

I had a child there 2 years . We needed resource classes and I would never send my child there again,the principal was a nightmare to deal with and most teachers no help either. Not for resource kids!!!!!

Posted July 10, 2008

When I attended this school it was wonderful! I can't wait to visit it again!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 1, 2008

My son started kindergarten there this year and we have ADHD....the staff and especially assistant principal Ms. Williams went over board to help us find the perfect solutions! This is NOT a requirement. They care about the students. I am so thankful and feel extremely blessed for this to be a public school!

Posted April 2, 2008

We relocated from Fort Campbell Kentucky, and this is our first year here in Mississippi. This is the first school that we've been involved with that isn't an 'open door policy'. Which leaves the parents clueless to what the child is learning.

Posted March 28, 2008

After relocating back from Italy, we were very nervous about choosing a good school for my sons. We are very pleased with D.C.E and the teachers. My son is happy and I feel that the teachers are doing a good job in preparing my son for middle school next year. Thank you for the good job Ms. Sweeting, and Ms. Lee.

Posted February 25, 2008

What a great school. We have moved several times in in last 10 years and have a high school and elementary child. We have been very pleased with our experience at this school. The Principal is very protective of our children. We feel so secure with our children in her hands. The PTO works very hard as well, without them we would not have soccer for the students or a playground, and many other things. This school is so parent envolved. We love it...

Posted February 18, 2008

They are not supportive to the single mom with the dev. delayed child who does not have alot of time and has lots of bills

Posted February 5, 2008

I love Desoto Central Elementary School. My daughter has been there 2 yrs and she loves it as well. The teachers are very knowledgeable and they work well with the students. I like the programs at the school and the parental involvement is amazing.

Posted December 19, 2007

We moved here from another location in MS where my child attended a small Christian school. She is know in kindergarten and I feel learned more in 4k at her previous school than at DCES. Seems like all they do is art projects. The classes are extremely crowded. My child seems happy and satisfied but I want to see more examples of what she is learning being sent home.

Posted October 24, 2007

First grade has no gifted classes or programs. I am never allowed in the school to see what my child is doing or how he behaves. I receive minimal reports of his behavior and achievement, and I only receive these reports when he is misbehaving. School here is not fun, and in K and 1st grade, I feel that learning should be fun. The PTO is a joke and are always asking for money, splitting the students up by whose parents can afford to give the most. On a positive note, the school is only 5 years old and the campus is nice. Lewisberg is a better choice.

Posted July 31, 2007

We also, moved here from an neighboring state. The public schools were incredible. I will not say that about this experience. The counselors are overworked, and spread to thin so they are not effective. (but, they are very nice). I am dreading my child returning; We are strongly considering, private schools because of this. The principle is way to strict; I agree is unapproachable. As a parent I feel like a criminal when I enter the school, and expect to be almost strip searched before I can see my child. (This school is very legalistic (black and white rules); unacceptable for 2007.

Posted July 2, 2007

The principal rules the school with a very heavy hand. She should be working with older kids or at the alternative school not with young little kids. As soon as you walk in the building, you can sense that there is a very serious atmosphere. My kids do not enjoy this school because they are never allowed to have any fun. I do like a lot of the teachers, though. They try hard under sometimes difficult conditions.

Posted April 27, 2007

When the school opened 6 years ago everyone thought it was going to be the best school in Desoto County. It has failed to live up to that. The programs are good. They seem to only appreciate parent involvement when we open our wallets. The PTO fundraiser this year was a mess. They wanted to base the level of fun our children were to have based on our amount of donations. This is a public school. There is a wide range of social classes and everyone should count. The principle is not very approachable.

Posted April 19, 2007

We recently moved here from a neighboring state. I waneted to find the best school for my children. We were told DCES was the place to be. We loved our previous school. We were very disappointed in DCES. Overcrowding at first was our main issue. My child still has stress related symptoms due to the atmosphere in the classroom. It is really hard to come from great to Okay.

Posted April 16, 2007

I think DSCE is an ok school! I do not like the idea that this school does not have an open door policy. Whenever, I have tried to just peep in on my child, I have been told that it's instructional time and that not permitted. I'm not a pesky parent, I just wanted to look in on the class not disrupt it. I guess that can be good and bad. So far my child seems happy and is learning very well. The teacher is also great and she is always available to answer any questions.

Posted April 8, 2007

I just know that overall it is a pretty good school. It is way too clicky.(Staff wise)the administration stresses the students and teachers out way too much. The assistants are treated like they come a dime a dozen, that's why they can't keep anyone at that school long enough to learn everyone name.Most of the teachers are wonderful and most of the assistants are hard working just like the teachers but are talked to like they are worthless. That's sad because they have lost some really good teachers and assistants because when they are happy where they are at the time administration wants to move them somewhere where they do not want to be therefore causing them to transfer or quit. If you don't enjoy the work then the pay is not an incentive to keep you there. The principal is not a person that parents feel they can talk to.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

223 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

223 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

222 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

221 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

217 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

239 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 32%N/A71%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2411 Central Parkway