Southaven Elementary School

Public | PK-5 & ungraded | 5 students

Posted August 12, 2011

As a teacher at this school, the support of principals and administrative staff is wonderful. The students are great, and most teachers work VERY hard to make sure the students learn the material. My only complaint is a lack of parental support. Many students do not come to the school with the necessary tools (i.e. supplies, experience, help at home) to be highly successful; however, I take pride in the fact that when my students come to my class they have fun, have new experiences, learn social skills, and are educated just as well as they would be anywhere else. You get just as much out of a school as what you put in it.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 25, 2010

The students have test everyday which would be fine if the teachers actually went over it! My child got sent home with an English test with a C on it which had been curved, and my child normally does great in this subject. On the test there was a note that said went over right before the test! They give them hw that's due whenever they don't even go over it! Their spelling tests are a bunch of misspelled and correctly spelled words on a sheet of paper and the students are just supposed to circle the right answer! They don't offer tutoring, unless you go with your child for 4 hours after school. Well I would love to do that if I didn't have a 3 yr old and a 9 month old at home!

Posted May 10, 2010

For the typical student this school is as average as the next. For the special needs student, they simply do not have the resources to properly provide for this population.

Posted April 27, 2010

Wonderful teachers and the safety/ discipline within the school is outstanding.

Posted January 6, 2010

SES is an excellent school. As a parent I have always been able to talk with my child's teachers and get their feedback on her performance. Mrs Turner has provided a strong leadership as well. Thank you Mrs. Turner and teachers for your hard work!

Posted August 14, 2009

My daughter transfered to this school a few years ago from a wonderful school in another state. First thing that I didn't like was the lack of parent involvement. I have always volunteered and here they don't allow that. Also this is the only school I've ever been involved with that didn't have an open door policy for parents. I have no way of knowing what's going in the classroom because you are not allowed to enter classrooms.The teachers my daughter has had have been really nice, it's the administration that is anti-parent. In the 2 years she has been at the school she has yet to learn anything that she hadn't already learned in the 2nd grade at the previous school because of overcrowding and disruptive students the teachers spend more time disiplining than teaching.We are homeschooling this year.

Posted July 1, 2009

We love southaven elm but do feel like there could be more extra activities for them.

Posted March 19, 2009

Southaven Elementary School is an outstanding Educational Facility. From the Principal to the custodian they are all respectful and professional. The students are a sure reflection of the administration at ses. My son is responsible, respectable, honorable and excited about learning. Hats off to SES both staff/students keep soaring for the highest heights.

Posted December 26, 2007

My daughter has gone to a Memphis school and one in California. She thinks Southaven is the best school ever. The teacher seem to really care and have control in the class room. I think that is why her grades are getting better and she really wants to do well. The teachers and staff seem to love there jobs.I also went there from second to sixth grade, back in th 70's and it was an Oasis compared to the Memphis school I went to. Please keep up the good work. She really looks forward to going in the morning. How many kids will say that!

Posted December 4, 2007

My 5 year old daughter attends this school. The only thing I don't like about the school is they always send important papers home too late. For example, my daughter took pictures today. I had no knowledge of the pictures until yesterday.

Posted February 7, 2007

I have two children at SES and I have been nothing but pleased with the principal,office staff,teachers, assistants, and the entire school body. They do show a geniune love for me as well as my children. I am so grateful to have found a school that truly cares about the academic status of my children and the parental involvement that I play inside of the school as well as at home. Thank you Ms. Turner for running a quality 1 school!!!!

Posted May 3, 2006

I have been nothing but pleased with SOuthaven Elementary. My children (all 3 of them) love it. I don't even think I could come up with something negative to say. Thank you all so much for everything you do for our students. The teachers adn staff are the best in the county.

Posted January 7, 2006

Great school! We fled from the hurricane and found a welcoming environment. Great teacheres, admin and a safe environment. Parent involvement is not what it should be but the ones who are involved give 110% SES you rock!

Posted July 27, 2005

Southaven Elementary is the best shool that my child ever attended. The teachers care about the children and provide learning experiences for all children. I would not send my child anywhere else.

Posted May 20, 2005

We moved nearby in the middle of the school year so our child began at SE then. He/She has had a terrible time there. Our 11 year old has a learning disability and requires some special attention. He got the needed help when we were in Texas, but not here. If your child has an easy time with school, SE is probably fine. However if your child is struggling, don't count on SE to help!

Posted April 23, 2005

Hi, I have two kids who go to Southaven, and a child who went last year 2004. One best thing they have going for themselves is Ms.Donna who is a Pre-First Teacher she strives to improve the children knowledge. In my opinion, cover each other is the name of the game.

Posted August 3, 2004

My son went to Southaven Elementary for K-5. He did not have any problems with his teacher, but did with the teachers aid. She made him pull tickets for stuff that should not matter (i.e., pretending to cut his finger with sissors that bearly cut paper). They have some rules that are unneeded (i.e., no talking at the lunch table until you have finished your lunch). However, overall, the school is a good school and my child did learn a lot.

Posted July 19, 2004

This school needs more teachers that care about the children. If a child is unhappy about something they should be able to tell the teacher and the teacher should kindly talk to the child. My son told his teacher one day that he didn't like his lunch, and his teacher made him pull a ticket when he got back to class for telling her something that wasn't importent to her. I may not of mattered to her but it sure did to my 7 year old. I have found that this is the kind of teachers this school likes to have. Ones that don't care about the students. If you ever walk into this school for the firt time don't expect to hear children laughing and teachers talking nice to children all they do is yell at them. I would not send my child to school again.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

The state average for Language Arts was 59% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 89% in 2012.

94 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 63% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 59% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 62% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 74%N/A71%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8274 Claiborne Dr