PK-5 & Ungraded|Public district
721 students|Desoto Co School Dist

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted November 20, 2015
Mrs. Steward and resource teacher Mrs. Jackson get my highest praise. Both helped my special needs child tremendously.

Southaven Elementary School 3

Posted November 20, 2015
Very VERY unhappy with the school this year. My child has an old curmudgeon of a teacher and a guidance counselor whom both are old school and unable to change with the times. My child used to love school, now it's a battle every morning to motivate my child to go. To the teacher who said there is a lack of parental involvement; not all of us are like that. As another parent said it sure would be nice for those of us who want to be more involved to feel welcomed. Not allowing us in the classrooms creates suspicion and distrust.

Southaven Elementary School 4

Posted August 12, 2011
As a teacher at this school, the support of principals and administrative staff is wonderful. The students are great, and most teachers work VERY hard to make sure the students learn the material. My only complaint is a lack of parental support. Many students do not come to the school with the necessary tools (i.e. supplies, experience, help at home) to be highly successful; however, I take pride in the fact that when my students come to my class they have fun, have new experiences, learn social skills, and are educated just as well as they would be anywhere else. You get just as much out of a school as what you put in it.

Southaven Elementary School 2

Posted August 25, 2010
The students have test everyday which would be fine if the teachers actually went over it! My child got sent home with an English test with a C on it which had been curved, and my child normally does great in this subject. On the test there was a note that said went over right before the test! They give them hw that's due whenever they don't even go over it! Their spelling tests are a bunch of misspelled and correctly spelled words on a sheet of paper and the students are just supposed to circle the right answer! They don't offer tutoring, unless you go with your child for 4 hours after school. Well I would love to do that if I didn't have a 3 yr old and a 9 month old at home!

Southaven Elementary School 2

Posted May 10, 2010
For the typical student this school is as average as the next. For the special needs student, they simply do not have the resources to properly provide for this population.

Posted April 27, 2010
Wonderful teachers and the safety/ discipline within the school is outstanding.

Southaven Elementary School 5

Posted January 06, 2010
SES is an excellent school. As a parent I have always been able to talk with my child's teachers and get their feedback on her performance. Mrs Turner has provided a strong leadership as well. Thank you Mrs. Turner and teachers for your hard work!

Southaven Elementary School 1

Posted August 14, 2009
My daughter transfered to this school a few years ago from a wonderful school in another state. First thing that I didn't like was the lack of parent involvement. I have always volunteered and here they don't allow that. Also this is the only school I've ever been involved with that didn't have an open door policy for parents. I have no way of knowing what's going in the classroom because you are not allowed to enter classrooms.The teachers my daughter has had have been really nice, it's the administration that is anti-parent. In the 2 years she has been at the school she has yet to learn anything that she hadn't already learned in the 2nd grade at the previous school because of overcrowding and disruptive students the teachers spend more time disiplining than teaching.We are homeschooling this year.

Posted July 01, 2009
We love southaven elm but do feel like there could be more extra activities for them.

Southaven Elementary School 5

Posted March 19, 2009
Southaven Elementary School is an outstanding Educational Facility. From the Principal to the custodian they are all respectful and professional. The students are a sure reflection of the administration at ses. My son is responsible, respectable, honorable and excited about learning. Hats off to SES both staff/students keep soaring for the highest heights.

8274 Claiborne Dr, Southaven, MS  38671
Last modified Southaven Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.