Southaven Middle School

Public | 6-8 & ungraded | 16 students

Posted April 1, 2014

my school is southaven middle school and i moved to this school from Denver colorado being on the iside of this school i know what goes on. there is great dicipline and most of the teachers try there best to help every child succed. they do not tolerate bad behavior and try to get to each and every one of their students to do their best in order to promote to the next grade. I have learned many new and great things, overcome many chalenges, and gotten to know many of my great friends. Although teachers can act like the dont want to be here somtimes.. It is a great school and the principals are amazingly good.

Posted April 21, 2013

The head principal of Southaven Middle School has no clue about autism. He has no interest in learning about autism and how to relate to students on the autism spectrum. This includes high functioning students with Asberger's who raise the school's overall test scores. He discriminates against these students by excluding them from school activities. He also denies there is a bullying problem.

Posted September 11, 2012

We're new to the district from Kansas City...So far, my 8th and 7th graders are complaining/bragging that they have already studied a lot of the new curriculum.. I expect straight A's on their report cards if it really is all review... Not pleased with the extraordinary expense for the kids who want to join extra-curricular activities. I see a BIG need for improvement here. So far, I'm not pleased...they advertise a dress code, but everyone I saw were exposing their undergarments....all hype and limited education/challenge. SORRY!

Posted May 21, 2012

i just finished 8th grade in SMS and i enjoyed it SO much! The teachers were amazing and really nice and i got good grades. I got really good grades! From my background, i am Polish and i lived in Poland all my life and went to private school, lived in Shanghai and went to international school, and then to SMS. And i really like SMS. The teachers are nice and good. As an AP student i managed to learn a lot. The school system is great and you can talk to school staff about anything! All those mean comments are from people who's children or they were not trying in school.If you try you will love it. If not... well then i can not help you. However, the school is AMAZING ad GREAT. I really recommend it and i'll miss my teachers and everyone i met when I'll goto High School. 5stars!

Posted January 25, 2012

IMY CHILD WENT HERE IN THE SIXTH AND SEVENTH GRADE. AFTER THE FIRST FEW WEEKS DUE TO THE 7TH GRADE MATH TEACHER I TOOK HIM OUT.SHE SEEMED LIKE SHE DID NOT WANT TO BE THERE AND IT WAS MORE OR LESS ABOUT A PAYCHECK TO HER. THE OTHER PROBLEM I HAD WITH HER SHE TREATED MY CHILD VERY BADLY. WHILE MY CHILD IS NO SAINT ,YOU SHOULD NOT MISTREAT A CHILD. I FELT LIKE THIS ONE PARTICULAR TEACHER WAS A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING........THE OTHER TEACHERS FOR THE MOST PART WERE O.K.. THIS THE ONLY REAL PROBLEM I HAD WAS THE 7TH GRADE MATH TEACHER I JUST DIDNT FEEL SHE HAD THE PEOPLE SKILLS TO BE TEACHING,

Posted January 24, 2012

It amazes me how the staff act like they do not want to be there and act like they are there for a paycheck. one of the teachers was real bad to tell my child to shut up. i really did not like her. the looks of that math teacher scared me. you could tell she did not want to be there.

Posted January 24, 2012

Great School! Great Principal! No complaints! My son is in all AP classes, studies hard, works on many projects, has excellent grades, is in the SMS band, and is on the SMS soccer team.

Posted September 9, 2011

Bullying is horrible, staff seem to hate their jobs. Had to transfer to a private school...$7,000 well spent.

Posted October 6, 2010

I HAVE TWO CHILDREN ATTENDING SMS. THIS IS MY OLDEST SON'S LAST YEAR. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME TO CONTACT THE TEACHERS AND COUNCILERS. THEY HAVE LOST IMPORTANT FORMS AND I HAVE BEEN WAITING OVER A WEEK FOR THE 6TH COUNCILER TO GET BACK TO ME. I HAVE LEFT SEVERAL MESSAGES. NOW WHAT DO I DO??

Posted January 6, 2010

i think sms rocks it has wonderfull teachers and pretty good food not to much not to little but just enough homework

Posted November 24, 2009

Our school is pretty amazing, I just wish that they would do something about some of the rude teachers at our school, and would make the gifted program a regular class, because I had to chose between Band and Spotlight (our gifted program) after I had been accepted into the Choir program, it was the hardest decision of my life.....and I chose band and choir over Spotlight...I was crushed because all the hard work I spent trying to get into Spotlight is nothing but dust in the wind now, because I can't get back in anymore...

Posted April 29, 2009

I am a parent of a student in the 6th grade this year @ SMS. I am extremely pleased with the teachers. If I ever have any concern or questions about her grades or whatever it may be I can email any of her three teachers and they will message me back that day! They are very concerned about the students and their wellbeing and I have nothing but praise to give them!! They also do have wonderful sports programs and the sponsors and coaches put alot of hard work and time into taking these endeavors on. My daughter is a cheerleader this year and the sponsors have been great and are very dedicated. The principal is awesome too!! He is an extremely friendly guy and he too cares about the kids and trys to get to know each and every one of them.

Posted March 11, 2009

Southaven Middle School has a terrible atmosphere. If you don't believe me check it out yourself. When you arrive at the school in the morning the teaches on outside duty are sour! Walk into the front office and see how you are greeted there... if you are greeted at all. As far as parent involvement...there is none. When we moved here 2 years ago I asked about parent volunteers. I was told they don't take volunteers. I couldn't believe it. You would think that they would embrace the help. SMS really needs to coach their staff on attitude and first impressions. It makes Southaven look bad! In my situation it was one of the first places I encountered in Southaven the staff was and still is rude rude rude!!

Posted March 4, 2008

This is a truly great school! Awesome administration and faculty.

Posted February 28, 2008

it is realy nice i feal saer at this school than any other

Posted February 22, 2008

Southaven Middle school is the most awesome place to teach. I love the administration, students, and faculty. We are one big family and always put the students needs first. We are the only level 5 middle school in DeSoto County.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 20, 2008

My child attends this school and I am happy with the princial this year. He really seems to be concered with the students and their well- being. I feel safe sending my child to school.

Posted February 13, 2008

The new principal at this school has done a great job of bringing in strong discipline. He has also gotten rid of some 'deadwood' teachers and hired some really good ones to take their place. He also does a lot of good things to recognize students who do well. He has incorporated some great incentive programs to reward the children for their accomplishments. He brought this school up from an accredidation level of 4 to a level 5. He runs a strict school and stresses safety of the children and staff first and instruction second.

Posted July 8, 2007

My son used to go here and will never come back! The principals are not fair and very strict. They take the teachers side at everything, even when the students did not do anything! Some of the teachers are very nice. And one more thing... They also have a big bullying problem. Every other week he would tell me that someone has gotten arrested.

Posted May 25, 2007

I have a child at that school for the first time. The leadership of the principal and teachers are terrible. All of the extracurricular activities are too expensive for most students. Discipline is not distributed fairly to all students.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

540 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

537 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Curriculum Test, 2nd Edition (MCT2) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts and math. The MCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 63% in 2013.

545 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

544 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 55% in 2013.

509 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

510 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing - Informative Essay

The state average for Writing - Informative Essay was 93% in 2012.

481 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % Score 2, 3 or 4

Until 2011-2012, terminating in 2012-2013, Mississippi used the Mississippi Writing Assessment Program (MWAP) to test students in grades 4, 7 and 10 in writing. The MWAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above 2 on the test.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

511 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Mississippi Science Test (MST) to test students in grades 5 and 8 in science. The MST is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Mississippi used the Subject Assessment Testing Program (SATP) to test students in English II, writing, algebra I, biology I and U.S. history at the completion of each course. Students must pass all parts of the SATP in order to graduate from high school. The SATP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Mississippi. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A71%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Choir / Chorus

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

899 Rasco Rd