9-12 & Ungraded|Public district
2,142 students|Tupelo Public School Dist

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Posted February 02, 2016
Tupelo has a general problem accepting those transferring in from out of state. They have a small town attitude and at same time believe they are more metro.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted February 02, 2016
We transferred in from another state and felt dismissed by the school and the advisors. I pushed to have my daughter in advanced classes and was told "most parents believe their children are advanced and theiy are not." I had documentation from her pervious school that recommended her advanced placement. Now she keeps an 99 average and ends up tutoring her classmates.

Tupelo High School 1

Posted October 08, 2014
In response to the earlier post concerning "outsiders" having a hard time here, THAT IS THE PROBLEM! This school has a problem with inclusion and diversity and bullying especially among female students. My experience tells me that the girl bullies are most likely the product of their mothers being an earlier generation's bullies, or being victims and telling their girls to bully before they get bullied. To make maters worse, we even had an experience with a teacher being verbally abusive and bullying students. She was a coaches wife, so the administration fought parents tooth and nail defending her. Send your kids elsewhere, this school has a terrible environment. Furthermore, this school and town have a serious problem with rampant teenage pregnancy and the dropout rate is higher than average. The last I heard, the school was on academic probation as well.

Tupelo High School 4

Posted October 30, 2013
I'm a junior at THS. Let me just say that I love my school. The teachers are great, and the vast majority of them are very passionate about what they do. If I had to complain about anything, it's that there are some uppity snobs; but I'd like you to point out a place that doesn't have a single one of those. And before you get the notion that this only applies to so-called outsiders, I was born and raised here with most of those people. In fact, during my time at THS, I've seen more people that have moved here in the past few years get along better than I have. As for ruffians, it's Mississippi. Anywhere you go, there will be fights and idiots. It happens. Tupelo is one of the most cultured schools in Mississippi when it comes to the arts. We've got one of only a handful of Thespian troupes in the state. I hope this helps.

Posted January 09, 2013
I'm a current student at THS, and the only reason I stay here is for the band program and my friends. I don't enjoy Tupelo, my parents don't like it, and I don't think that It's a good school for my younger sister. You won't be accepted with most students unless you're rich, play sports, party hard, or don't care. I don't feel accepted with the majority of my classmates. Also, the amount of classwork given by some of my teachers is ridiculous. I am in band with takes up so much time, and I also have a job. All that along with homework leaves me up late every night trying to finish just so I can pass. And most of the teachers aren't lenient on homework and projects, even if you're in my situation. Which is a downer. I wouldn't attend Tupelo if I wasn't already sucked in to it.

Tupelo High School 3

Posted December 14, 2011
There is a trend in theses reviews that people should note. Outsiders have a difficult time coming to Tupelo, school or otherwise. If the student is not very outgoing or involved in extracurricular activities, they will struggle. I believe the tough review written on Dec. 8 2011 brings up some real concerns.

Posted December 08, 2011
I am a current student at Tupelo High School, moved here 3 years ago, and am absolutely not recognized for anything here. Unless you are rich, play soccer, are Baptist/Christian, and have known everyone since elementary school, then you are not considered someone worth recognizing. Teachers of the arts (Art, Theatre, Chorus, etc.) constantly complain about poor funding and half of your school year is filled with ridiculous amounts of fundraisers! I mean, does the school not have funding? Also, the administration is like an old bridge: unstable and unpredictable- you never know when you're going to be thrown off, either. We've had so many teachers quit/be replaced in the past two years, and the replacement of our new principle who only wants to boost his reputation is a recent situation conveying the educational failures of the TPSD. The teachers are horrible, not caring whether you pass or fail, and will absolutely not come up to you and ask if you personally need help with anything if they even recognize that your grades are falling in the first place. One last thing: fights. The security is tight but float in the background, not bothering with some fights. I wish I could relax.

Posted February 20, 2011
Definitely a great place for "all stars" and "straight A" children . This school is not interested in the middle of the road kids.

Tupelo High School 5

Posted October 24, 2010
I have gone to school here for two years and what most people say is definitely not true. This principal is gone, the curriculum is intense and designed to work you . Teacher are all very open and great teachers with the students. The principle is always to be seen around campus, I in fact, see him every morning while going to one of my classes. So to sum up the teachers are great, principal is open and fun, and the extracurricular activities are in such great they have two buildings dedicated to the activities.

Posted November 11, 2009
I am a current student at Tupelo High, i moved from out of state and lost a few credits so my senior status got knocked down to junior status. I am not satisfied with this school at all. The material i am being taught i have learned my ninth grade year, the teachers at the school are nice but they hold your hand. In college the teachers/professors dont hold your hand through the process of a paper or an assignment. There has been many personal belongings stolen on campus that in the times of this economy they are not easibly replaceable and the administration refuses to do anything about it. Advice coming from me, if your not born here or didnt grow up here then you wont be accepted. This school is not that big, but students here are completely stuck-up and full of themselves

4125 Cliff Gookin Blvd, Tupelo, MS  38801
Last modified Tupelo High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.