PK-2 & Ungraded
Vancleave, MS
After care: No

Posted August 15, 2014
This is the worst school ever!! The teachers are awful, no one wants to help. I ate lunch with my 5 year old and his assistant teacher was talking to the class in an inappropriate way. I called the principal and she was very inconsiderate and acted like it was no big deal. I called the superintendent and now the teacher is being investigated. Needless to say, I withdrew my son and actually had to move out of the school district and I'm very happy with the school he's at now, it is wonderful!! I was very disappointed in the way this school handles situations. Be very careful with this school and staff, the need to let parents know what's going on and be more involved! I hope this helps someone!

Posted April 02, 2014
This school is horrible with parent involvement. While the staff is nice and cheerful when I enter the school I do not like the way it is operated. My older child went to a different school while in K and had a wonderful year. My younger child is in K now and doesn't get to do half the stuff as my other child did. I don't have any memories of school parties and field trips now for him. Parents aren't allowed up there for very much at all. I also can't get his teacher to even answer notes that I send to school with him even though the newsletter says that you can contact her through notes. I also think that the classrooms are extremely over crowed. Other than these issues though the staff is very nice.

Posted September 11, 2013
VLE is an awesome school, they really care about their students. The staff is amazing, they take the time to make sure all their students get the great education they are entitled to.

Posted November 06, 2012
Vancleave Lower Elementary is a great school. I don't understand the comment from the parent who submitted on 9/11/12. Each teacher sends home a newsletter every week or every other week. Parents are allowed to eat lunch with their child, and are invited to volunteer either in their child's class or for the school. The principal is wonderful! I know that she works hard to make the school safe and to ensure that my child receives a quality education.

Posted September 11, 2012
Mean principal. No parent/teacher communication. This school allows no parent involvement. All around very unfriendly environment.

Posted February 11, 2011
I am just amazed at the lengths this school will go to keep parents out oft the classrooms. Parents may not even set foot in the halls that lead to the class. They do not welcome volunteers, they do not allow you to observe in your child's class, they do not allow you to eat lunch with your child. Assemblies and other events are not open to the parents.The very very few occasions parents are allowed, younger siblings are not. At the same time, very little information is sent home. I honestly have no idea what my child does all day. She brings home a few worksheets, and that is that. If you are okay with not being involved at all in your child's education this school is probably fine for you. It is a nice clean cheerful building and the staff seems competent and good with the children. If you have a choice however, I would advise you not to move into this district. My husband and I feel strongly that it is our responsibility to monitor our child's education and be involved with her schooling. This school will not allow that. We will be finishing the school year here, but not returning.

Posted March 24, 2010
I wrote a long review before and for some reason it did not post, but I will say that my 7 year old child was sent home early to an empty house and I was told if they could not get a hold of the parent it was their policy to just send them home by the principle. The district office did not agree. My child's teacher was easily overwhelmed and could not seem to handle the class. The levels that this school is at compared to other schools my children have attended is very low. They expect very little from the students and with minimal work every child could earn straight A's.

Vancleave Lower Elementary School 0

Posted August 11, 2009
My oldest daughter started VLE in 2007 towards the end of her first grade year. The teacher made the transition so easy. All the other students in class welcomed her as though she had been there all year! She then went on to attend her 2nd grade year here as well. Wonderful, wonderful school! Her second grade class did a Christmas play (A Mother Goose Christmas). My daughter is painfully shy, but this school did a wonderful job helping her to become more outgoing. She has excelled! The school is very secure and they have some good policies in place to protect their students. For example all transportation changes must be in writing, no call in changes. The check ID on anyone not familiar to them and verify their reason for visiting before that person is granted access to the school. As far as after school pick-up, it is very organized.

Posted November 19, 2008
Both of my children have attended VLE, and as a whole our family has had a great experience. The teachers and staff are friendly and preform there jobs excellent. I am glad to see the teachers and the assistants working toogether in a classroom for our children. It is very easy to get involved with your childs class. You get what you put in. Thank you VLE. Eric Mckerchie

Posted October 25, 2006
I have a child in VLE and will soon have my other child there as well. VLE is wonderful. The teachers and staff are willing to do whatever they can to help your child not only learn the material being taught but to also fully understand the material. This is our 1st year in Vancleave and I know we will be here for a long time. My child has enjoyed the variety of activities and projects that are offered at VLE. She has also benefited from every program offered to her. I would highly recommend VLE to anyone!

Vancleave Lower Elementary School