Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

The admission process is random. Each child has the option of being bussed in as well. They are not responsible for their own transportation. I have a child at this school, and the experience has been great. He has excelled.

Develops character: Disagree

This school, its teachers, and students produce great test scores. However, it is unfair to not offer the same chances to every kid in that district. Keeping a child out because he doesn't meet their level of perfection is unfair and lacks integrity.

The students are basically hand-picked. They are from homes where emphasis is placed on education- the parents must apply for admission and transport their children to and from school. Admission to Bowmar is a status symbol of sorts. The staff, parents and community have rallied around Bowmar's stellar reputation for high test scores (deservedly so), but this wonderful education is only offered to the "cream of the crop". I'm not negating the hard work of their teachers, but the work is quite a bit easier when you can just get rid of any child with a behavioral or emotional disability. My son suffers from Tourette's, and even though he has a mild case and rarely has outbursts (never known his to be profanity, either- mostly animal sounds), he was "transferred" to another school because of his "repeated disruptions of class". Although I was there at least twice a day (drop-off and pick-up), unbeknownst to me my son received nine behavioral referrals in the first five weeks of school. These resulted in a disciplinary hearing I knew nothing about and the powers that be deciding his disability could be better serviced elsewhere. I have to wonder if the fact that he is an average/below average student (hence lower test scores) were also a factor. I have since found out that his vacancy was filled by a gifted kid who just happens to be from a family very close to the administrator. Imagine my surprise to learn this type of weeding out happens frequently. Call me naive for being hurt, but I suppose I should've realized my son and I wouldn't meet the requirements for their clique. Bowmar's level of success is a source of pride for many and much easier to maintain when testing classes full of ideal children.

When is comes to hardworking teachers, Bowmar has the best! They go the extra mile to make sure each student's needs are met. We have the highest scores in the district!

Bowmar has it all- amazing faculty, awesome principal, involved parents, and wonderful students. As a former faculty member, I can attest to the quality of the current faculty. They truly love their school and its students. You will be hard pressed to find a more nurturing and quality school environment. The parents and faculty hold the students to high standards, and in turn, the students are hard workers and high achievers. Truly a school full of LEADERS!

I have taught at Bowmar for most of my teaching career. There is so much support from the other teachers, the parents, the PTO, the staff and the administration. We try very hard to meet the needs of each child. Our school was recently chosen for the Leader In Me program. It is an excellent way to prepare children for their futures. They are learning to be responsible for their actions and for their grades. They learn to be leaders in the classroom and in the school. It has made positive changes in behavior in the classroom. Bowmar is an awesome place to work at!

I am so impressed with the "can do" attitude of everyone at this school. From the top administrator (principal) to the teachers, special areas, custodians, parents and students - everyone plays an important role. The Leader in me program adopted with the help of our local Chamber of Commerce really helps to instill leadership qualities and personal responsibility in students. Even though the school district may not have the funds to make the school facilities brand new, everyone does the best with what they have and success is seen on each and every smiling student and teacher's face!

Bowmar is a fantastic school. Chosen as a Leader in Me school, leadership is modeled constantly by students, faculty, educators, and administration. Rigorous standards are set and expected in all areas of education. Parent participation is incredible. Parents are present and helping nearly 100% of yhe day. Bowmar is an exceptional school.

The students here are very excited to be at Bowmar despite the fact that their school building is run down. However, good luck getting your child enrolled. Priority is given to siblings of students already attending Bowmar and due to the small class sizes this leaves very few open slots. The criteria used to fill these slots...luck of the draw. The demand for this level of education is there but students are being turned away. Our rejection letter prompted us to relocate to another school district that would provide our child with this education.

This school has great parent involvement. They even had a parent do the yearbook two years ago!!! It was awesome. My son loved going there. The school has great pride. I would love to go back there if we could. He learned a ton and was very prepared for second grade at a high expectations private school that we are at now.

Last modified Bowmar Avenue School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.